HOARD (1 Viewer)

Do you hoard chips?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Duuuuuude I can’t wait for June even more now, I would love to pick your brain on the subject, given your experience. My wife and I got into that A&E Hoarders show years ago (and we had a relative that could have easily been featured….), it’s such a fascinating (and often sad) subject.
Happy to talk more - it’s one of my favorite subjects! It is unfortunately mostly a sad subject as most people need the kind of help that is costly and hard to find. It is also a fascinating subject and obviously overlaps with collecting of all kinds. I run workshops and lead group therapy sessions on the topic for my day job.

I have a lot of opinions on this (shocker right) that I'll keep to myself (hopefully) but I'll share this one. If you buy a rack or find yourself owning a rack that you have no use for, but you're keeping it for trade bait - that sucks. Not sure if that's considered hoarding and I'm sure most people would say it's just trading or economics or whatever, but I think it stinks.

According to many singles collectors we are all hoarders. ;)

The chipguide says I am a hoarder: :rolleyes:
20506.jpg
CG020506 Obsolete
Denom: $100
Last Update: 2023-05-25
Color: Black
Inserts: 4red/Brn/Ylw
Mold: H&C (LCV)
Inlay: COG White
Contributed by: Greg Susong

Backup Set
Hoard Alert: Used in Home Poker set
1712000152469.jpeg

68505.jpg
CG068505 Obsolete
Denom: $5
Issued: 1992
Added: 2012-03-19
Last Update: 2023-05-01
Color: Red
Inserts: 2 Yellow, 2 Black
Mold: H&C (SCV)
Inlay: R-WHITE
Logo: Nugget
Catalog#: N7744
Contributed by: Bill Lange

Hoard ALert: Used in home poker games.
1712000242884.png

53017.jpg
CG053017 Obsolete
Added: 2011-11-07
Inserts: 3 Red/Purple/Yellow
Mold: H&C (SCV)

1712000382133.jpeg

35854.jpeg
CG035854 Obsolete
Added: 2011-04-27
Inserts: 4pnk, 4org
Mold: H&C (LCV)
Contributed by: Albert Scalzo (LM-2995-2)

1712000612952.jpg

Almost forgot..

Some images courtesy of The Museum of Gaming History's (occasionally spiteful) ChipGuide

I have a lot of opinions on this (shocker right) that I'll keep to myself (hopefully) but I'll share this one. If you buy a rack or find yourself owning a rack that you have no use for, but you're keeping it for trade bait - that sucks. Not sure if that's considered hoarding and I'm sure most people would say it's just trading or economics or whatever, but I think it stinks.
I disagree. This is the only way a new member can have any shot at any of the good stuff today save for the old guys dropping dead. At least there are younger members interested in chips at all.

100% agreed.

I don't mind it, everyone can do what they want. But if I had to choose one thing that sucks it would be this, and there's not a close 2nd. Not the people that do it, just that it needs to be done.
I disagree. This is the only way a new member can have any shot at any of the good stuff today save for the old guys dropping dead. At least there are younger members interested in chips at all.
The issue is if noone did this, noone would need to do it. The more people that do it, the more people that need to do it. It's like really superficial game theory.

There's that weird chasm between singles collectors and set users/collectors, because "hoard alerts". Seemingly, there should be a chasm of sorts between people who want there to be playable sets and people who promote holding trade bait racks. The whole thing is interesting to think about.

the old guys dropping dead
live look @moechar and @quintooo waiting everyone out

1712002889357.png

If you try to build a unicorn set 1 chip at a time, by sweeping up everything that becomes available you are essentially becoming the market for those chips. While your intentions may be honorable in that you are putting together full racks that may have never been available, you are also driving up the price, while taking supply off the market that you now own. I am not saying this is bad, as I do this myself a bit, but it seems a bit hoardy. Am I wrong?
Haha, by my definition this is the opposite of hoarding. This is pure collecting. Now if you're one of the eBay sellers that pretend a chip is rare and expensive and they slowly release them one and a time while ignoring when you ask how many they have..... that's shitty behavior

100% agreed.

I don't mind it, everyone can do what they want. But if I had to choose one thing that sucks it would be this, and there's not a close 2nd. Not the people that do it, just that it needs to be done.

The issue is if noone did this, noone would need to do it. The more people that do it, the more people that need to do it. It's like really superficial game theory.

There's that weird chasm between singles collectors and set users/collectors, because "hoard alerts". Seemingly, there should be a chasm of sorts between people who want there to be playable sets and people who promote holding trade bait racks. The whole thing is interesting to think about.

live look @moechar and @quintooo waiting everyone out

View attachment 1303417
Part of this comes from not having good functionality to easily list what you have and what kind of transactions you're looking for. Other forums I have participated on allow users to maintain threads in the basic format of Have (not likely to transact), WTB, WTS, WTT, etc. racks could move around a lot more here than they do.

This might also support the reunification of singled/sampled out chips into small sets but that's gonna take this thread down a very different path....

If you try to build a unicorn set 1 chip at a time, by sweeping up everything that becomes available you are essentially becoming the market for those chips. While your intentions may be honorable in that you are putting together full racks that may have never been available, you are also driving up the price, while taking supply off the market that you now own. I am not saying this is bad, as I do this myself a bit, but it seems a bit hoardy. Am I wrong?
I’ve done it a few times. Personally I think you’re adding value to the chips because when you have them in quantity, you can actually play with them. Singles are useless (though I understand that’s not a universal opinion.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom