Is this a whiff, or is it me that stinks? (1 Viewer)

Kentucky

Pair
Reaction score
The sort of meaningless, uninteresting hand that happens many times a session - or maybe that's the problem...

This is 10NL. Hero is new to the table (it's my third hand) so have no specific reads and sit in the Button with 117BB stack and look down at :qc::9c:. It folds around to me and I raise to 3BB. V in the Small Blind, with 95BB stack, calls.

Flop comes down :4h::3c::2d:.

V in SB checks, Hero bets 2BB

V calls.

Turn is :4h::3c::2d: - :8s:

Check-Check

River is :4h::3c::2d::8s: - :jc:

V bets 4BB, Hero Folds.

My thought process through the hand was that the low board is in my set of Range-Bet flops as overall it's better for me - though it is close. I expect SB to have mostly middling cards, maybe the same number of A-rag/K-rag that made a pair as I do raising from the button. We'll both have sets and over pairs to the flop and I will have all the premium pairs, suited broadway, etc. I'm not really sure how many combo's V is calling from SB vs. Button (It's probably supposed to be none :)) so I may have the wider/weaker range with more trash in it. Anyway, I C-bet 2BB into the 7BB pot with my 2 overs and BDFD.

V calls which should eliminate some trash from his range and discounts stronger hands at some frequency (Over pairs, 2 pairs, sets, straights). No improvement for Hero on the turn so I take my free River which probably signals my give-up.

River doesn't help me either but am I supposed to call here? Is Q high good 20% of the time? In game I presumed he must have hit something but even at the time it just felt frustratingly weak and passive, with no good option. Now I'm wondering if this spot is over bluffed. If V had hit a pair on the flop would they not check call River? Or do 8s and Js hit that middling SB calling range? Is Bet, Check IP the cheapest way to see the river?

What am I supposed to do with these kinds of hands? Is this just a whiff, or is it me that stinks?

The sort of meaningless, uninteresting hand that happens many times a session - or maybe that's the problem...

This is 10NL. Hero is new to the table (it's my third hand) so have no specific reads and sit in the Button with 117BB stack and look down at :qc::9c:. It folds around to me and I raise to 3BB. V in the Small Blind, with 95BB stack, calls.

Flop comes down :4h::3c::2d:.

V in SB checks, Hero bets 2BB

V calls.

Turn is :4h::3c::2d: - :8s:

Check-Check

River is :4h::3c::2d::8s: - :jc:

V bets 4BB, Hero Folds.

My thought process through the hand was that the low board is in my set of Range-Bet flops as overall it's better for me - though it is close. I expect SB to have mostly middling cards, maybe the same number of A-rag/K-rag that made a pair as I do raising from the button. We'll both have sets and over pairs to the flop and I will have all the premium pairs, suited broadway, etc. I'm not really sure how many combo's V is calling from SB vs. Button (It's probably supposed to be none :)) so I may have the wider/weaker range with more trash in it. Anyway, I C-bet 2BB into the 7BB pot with my 2 overs and BDFD.

V calls which should eliminate some trash from his range and discounts stronger hands at some frequency (Over pairs, 2 pairs, sets, straights). No improvement for Hero on the turn so I take my free River which probably signals my give-up.

River doesn't help me either but am I supposed to call here? Is Q high good 20% of the time? In game I presumed he must have hit something but even at the time it just felt frustratingly weak and passive, with no good option. Now I'm wondering if this spot is over bluffed. If V had hit a pair on the flop would they not check call River? Or do 8s and Js hit that middling SB calling range? Is Bet, Check IP the cheapest way to see the river?

What am I supposed to do with these kinds of hands? Is this just a whiff, or is it me that stinks?

I'm not sure what 10NL means. Is that $1-$2 NL and a typo? Is it $10-$20 NL? Is it a $10 NL tournament?

Cant help without knowing what is going on.

Got it - so nickel-dime cash game.

How many players? 3 BB raise preflop in heads-up is acceptable, but against a full table you might want to bet bigger to isolate.

Each bet you make should give you information. What would a a call of 3 BB tell you? Would a call of 7, or even 10 BB tell you something different? It's early in the game (for you at least) so you don't know much, but the early part of a cash game is where the learning starts. Nice thing about cash is you can rebuy, so a $1 lesson is still pretty cheap (I wish college cost so little).

This is less about a mistake you might have made in this hand - it's a mistake you are making toward the game.

Open pre makes sense, 3BB seems fine for button and online sizing. Flop really does not interact with our range much, so we can be checking most of our hands, and here in particular we have just one backdoor draw and two overs. The turn could go either way, maybe you bet, but I think river is a pure fold here. How many bluffs do they have? They can have an A, a K, any number of low pocket pairs, or something like 78s or 89s that thinks it can get called by an A. You pretty much only beat mid/low suited connectors that happened to miss this board of which there's only 76s and T9s.

Got it - so nickel-dime cash game.

How many players? 3 BB raise preflop in heads-up is acceptable, but against a full table you might want to bet bigger to isolate.

Each bet you make should give you information. What would a a call of 3 BB tell you? Would a call of 7, or even 10 BB tell you something different? It's early in the game (for you at least) so you don't know much, but the early part of a cash game is where the learning starts. Nice thing about cash is you can rebuy, so a $1 lesson is still pretty cheap (I wish college cost so little).

This is less about a mistake you might have made in this hand - it's a mistake you are making toward the game.
I think that’s a good point about information gathering. And a call definitely means something even at these stakes. I’m just not sure what the calling range looks like.

You pretty much only beat mid/low suited connectors that happened to miss this board of which there's only 76s and T9s.
I think I felt instinctively that it was difficult to miss this board but when you spell it out like this there are frighteningly few combos that do miss it and that I still beat.

Nothing terrible from what I can see

Pre-good

flop strikes me as bigger size lower freq but consult a solver, don’t know where this hand falls…probably good candidate to bet 60%ish?

Turn is the worst (but not that bad), this looks like double barrel, you have to double barrel some air, this seems good air to double especially if you ranged flop

River easy fold

Nothing terrible from what I can see

Pre-good

flop strikes me as bigger size lower freq but consult a solver, don’t know where this hand falls…probably good candidate to bet 60%ish?

Turn is the worst (but not that bad), this looks like double barrel, you have to double barrel some air, this seems good air to double especially if you ranged flop

River easy fold
I think I struggle to find air to double barrel with for fear of finding too much. Maybe I could have some gut shots in this line that I could double with. Maybe two overs also works. Something to ponder.

Also depends on the site. International P*Stars at 2/5 cents is almost as hard as 2/5 Euros or Dollars.
Most people are well-read and using a HUD. Most players' stats are more than decent.
At 5/10 cents, nowadays, it becomes professional:rolleyes:
Many people from low-income countries can earn a living at 5/10 cents playing full time, if properly educated and tech-savvy.

I think 2 over-cards below K-high likes to bet often again here:
- poor showdown value
- binking top pair equity
- blocking a few overpairs

What am I supposed to do with these kinds of hands?
You're supposed to fold PF.... Well, OK, I'm a nit, and it did fold to you in the button, so a bet here isn't what you would call out of line. But Q9s is still just Q high, and the flop missed your range entirely, and hit villain's squarely.

C Bet on the flop is fine. The call of your C bet on the flop sends a message that he probably hit the flop at least partly (probably bottom pair or a draw?)

A second barrel C bet on the turn may have chased villain away, or at least led him to check the river (leading to a check back or third barrel from you). I guess it depends on how much you want to risk on a crappy hand. But checking screamed weakness on your part.

At micro-stakes, there's lots of players hanging around at the river with bottom pair or high card, and your check back on the turn told this one that you had a weak high card at best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom