Player with Body Odor (2 Viewers)

TKEUofM

Flush
Reaction score
Have a long time monthly NLHE tourney with 24-32 players. We have one player who consistently has body odor problems, sometimes it’s not really noticeable, but other times it’s really bad. I’m assuming he just doesn’t wear deodorant.

I’ve had a few people complain. He’s a super nice guy but I’m not sure how to approach this. He’s a friend of a friend that became a regular a few years ago.

Do I say something as the host or say something to the mutual friend?

Id say it depends on your relationship with Mr.BO, if you’ve gotten to know each other well and can talk to him without full blown embarrassment it’ll probably mean more coming from you. If you’re not comfortable having the conversation, having his friend do it is probably just as good.
However if something like this occurred in my game, where all of us were friends before poker I think it would probably be more of a blunt mid game “ Jesus Jimmy, when was the last time you showered” would be said. Not a fan of embarrassing someone in front of a group of 30 people who don’t know each other that great but I Could guarantee he’d be smelling better next game if he came back.

Well, as is he’s not likely to become a close friend of yours.
Also, if you tell him, things will always be awkward between you two and he’ll never be a close friend.

Since he’s never going to be a close friend, just pick whichever one you’d like to live with. You don’t have to be mean at all, and he probably won’t say “thanks for the feedback!” But everybody’s life, his included, will be better. You only see him a few hours every once in a while. Imagine his coworkers who have to spend hours every day with him.

As a host, I’m direct. I’d pull him aside and privately say:

“Hey buddy, if I told John over there to wash his hands after licking his fingers, I’ve gotta be fair and tell you about your funky smell. Let’s get it get fixed so you can keep winning hands”
Tell him straight to his face. Don’t be shy. He needs to know. You’re doing him a favor. Could be It’s impacting his daily life not just poker.

Hr leader who has talked to many a stinky employee over the years...

Do it privately, be direct but without judgement or attempts at humor. Call him - don't do it at the game where it's likely to trigger a negative reaction. And don't say it's the other players, own it. And don't guess at what it is - unwashed clothes, gas, lack of shower/working out before the game, medication, etc. - just talk about the outcome.

"Biff, I've noticed the last few games you have had an unpleasant smell. Could you address that before our future games?"

Do you think that stinky people don't usually know they're sitnky, or they're living in denial, or they just don't care?
I’ve always wondered about this. Unfortunately, I have a super sensitive nose for such things.

I do think you can become nose blind to odors you're exposed to constantly. Addressing privately is mandatory, agree with Mr. Catpants...direct is better.

Do you think that stinky people don't usually know they're sitnky, or they're living in denial, or they just don't care?
It's the #1 HR issue. By far.

Usually it's a new or otherwise temporary issue. In order of likelihood below.

Strong cologne/perfume/soaps/detergents - particularly with employees new to the US and not supplied with supplies that we consider "clean" smells
Working out on a new schedule and sweating through showers
Major changes in living situation that have limited access to hygiene equipment regularly
Medication/medication related side effects
Sometimes yes just people who have let themselves go in all senses
Food related - microwaving fish, etc.
The hardest one I ever had decipher - a certain pair of stinky shoes.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with a player. He came to my game through a mutual friend. He was fine at first, then after a few years it was like he stopped showering. Had a player sitting next to him and came right out and told him he stunk. That didn't work so I sent him an email and said sorry man, but I had some complaints about body odor. Please shower before you come to my game. I added, I work from home and have to remind myself to shower sometimes.

He didn't respond, but the next game you could tell he had just showered. Wasn't a problem after that and I didn't feel like it changed the relationship. If I hadn't done that, I was going to lose some players and good friends.

I’m sure a while ago I read on Rio WSOP, they can kick out people who has harmful hygiene habits, like odors obviously noticeable to other players or dealers. But don’t do that to him.

Please tell him like hey something smells weird from you. Losing other players might be a bigger issue. Yet don’t criticize his habits, ask him a favor to be fresh for the fresh game on the felt.

A poker pro told me that quack quack Paul has very bad body odor. Maybe it's a strategy to put players on tilt.

merlin_135242040_11289943-6845-4e06-8187-fe16132dbccb-articleLarge.jpg

This happened to me personally, I don't know if it was weight gain/ new meds or what. Once I noticed it (very embarrassing) I took steps to mitigate it. I would rather someone tell me than let it go on.

I also have a friend that doesn't use deodorant on purpose going natural I guess? But we let him know about it.

Bad breath can be just as bad. Bowled with a guy who’s breath smelled like he ate shit sandwiches. Bad, bad stuff. When it smells that bad in a bowling alley, you know it’s a problem. I cannot imagine how bad it would be at a poker table.

With 24+ players, I’d just make an announcement to the entire group but not call out anyone specific.

“Hey guys, tonight is a bounty event where each KO is $20, everyone should have a starting stack of 20K, and the first break is at 9 PM. Also, I’ve had some messages about body odor. I’m not calling anyone out, but let’s make sure we are being respectful of everyone here by taking care of our personal hygiene before arriving. Also, this is my home and my wife already thinks we all smell up the place. So, let’s not make it worse. Now, shuffle up and deal!”

A poker pro told me that quack quack Paul has very bad body odor. Maybe it's a strategy to put players on tilt.

View attachment 1319466
I can smell this guy just by looking at his picture.
And get high too. His giant nostrils are a sign.
Fwiw, Magriel died in 2018 at age 71. And yes, he had a cocaine problem.

But for the dozen years I spent around Paul on the pro backgammon circuit, I never noticed an odor. Maybe that changed when he moved to playing poker full time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom