Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (4 Viewers)

The REGIONAL A BOX. Limit is 15lbs which ships up to 600 chips and can cost significantly less than the medium flat rate priority box, depending on the location.

Learn it, love it, ship it.

Priority Mail Regional Rate Box - A1
10" x 7" x 4-3/4"
The Priority Mail® Regional Rate Box - A1 is a quick, easy, and convenient way for you to ship USPS Priority Mail packages. It is a top-loading box for up to 15 pounds.

Inside Dimensions: 10" x 7" x 4-3/4"
Outside Dimensions: 10-1/8" x 7-1/8" x 5"

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...p?productId=P_RRB_A1&categoryId=priority-mail

RRB_A1X-L0.jpg

The Regional Rate "A" Boxes, regardless of weight ( up to 15 lbs), cost/ ship at the "2 pound" Priority rate , to any US zipcode, This rate is usually always much cheaper than the flat rate boxes to most zipcodes.
There is also a Regional Rate "B" larger box, ( As big or bigger than the Flat Rate Box), which ships at the " 4 pound" Priority rate , and can be used up to 20 lbs, and again is often cheaper to many, but not all, zipcodes compared to the Flat Rate boxes..
There are restrictions, these boxes can not have any hand written labels or stamps applied, only Pre-printed, correct "A" or "B" rate paid postage labels from USPS.com, eBay, Stamps.com ect ... Also, most Post offices do not stock these boxes, you would need to order them free at USPS.com ...

What's the best way to ship chips in white chip boxes? Tape each of the boxes as tight as possible then tape all boxes together into one bundle?

I'm low on large shipping boxes (though I could buy some from Canada Post for just 5.99 each or something ridiculous like that... thanks!). Does it make a difference if the boxes are side up (chips in stacks) rather than flat with chips resting on the edges like you would usually store them or is the real key to have everything as one single piece?

Yeah if it's just your standard white chip box, then I like to tape them up as tight as I can get it...the less chip movement, the better. Then I take a roll of bubble wrap and wrap it around the box a bunch of times. Then tape up the bubble wrap a few times tight to the chip box. Then place a level of packing peanuts on the bottom of the shipping box, place the wrapped chip box on the peanuts, then fill the rest of the shipping box with more peanuts until nice and full. If I had more then one chip box in the shipment, then I wrap the taped chip boxes together in the bubble wrap and tape this altogether. And yes I would try to get all of it into 1 large bubble wrapped bundle if I could. As far as which direction the chips are in within the package, I don't think it matters at all. I place them whichever way fits into the shipping box better. I try to keep the chip bundle centered in the shipping box if possible and get those packing peanuts all around the bundle.

Adding both bubble wrap and the shipping peanuts is probably overkill but hey, this is precious cargo. You could get away with doing either or and be fine I'm sure. But if you have the room, bubble wrap and peanuts all the way. I have received 800 chips in standard white chip boxes within a large shipping box before with just packing peanuts and they were delivered across country just fine.

• use a standard white chip box...tape them up as tight as you can get it...the less chip movement, the better.
  • take a roll of bubble wrap and wrap it around the box a bunch of times. Then tape up the bubble wrap a few times tight to the chip box.
  • place a level of packing peanuts on the bottom of the shipping box, place the wrapped chip box on the peanuts, then fill the rest of the shipping box with more peanuts until nice and full.
  • if more then one chip box in the shipment, wrap the taped chip boxes together in the bubble wrap and tape this altogether - try to get all of it into 1 large bubble wrapped bundle
  • keep the chip bundle centered in the shipping box if possible and get those packing peanuts all around the bundle
^^ This is EXACTLY how I do it (I took the liberty of turning your excellent post into an instruction list format, 72o - hope you don't mind). The shipping box can literally get destroyed and the precious chips within will still be safe.

I also tape the entire exterior box surface (including seams and corners) with shipping tape to help keep it somewhat waterproof and in one piece during transit. I even put the clear shipping tape over the mailing address so that it cannot easily become unreadable due to rain smearing or other damage.

^^ This is EXACTLY how I do it (I took the liberty of turning your excellent post into an instruction list format, 72o - hope you don't mind). The shipping box can literally get destroyed and the precious chips within will still be safe.

I also tape the entire exterior box surface (including seams and corners) with shipping tape to help keep it somewhat waterproof and in one piece during transit. I even put the clear shipping tape over the mailing address so that it cannot easily become unreadable due to rain smearing or other damage.
I might add that I also tape the whole label with the exception of the tracking number barcode so it can be easily scanned. I do tape over the actual numeric tracking number just in case the barcode gets damaged or smeared.

David

Doesn't USPS have free label envelopes? You guys get everything else...

I 've used clear packing tape to cover over 1,000 labels (including barcode) and never had an issue, despite USPS warning.

I will be shipping 1000 chips to Switzerland. Will they fit in one large flat rate box? I've never shipped that many before.

Any tips/suggestions are welcome

Are these envelopes free?

20151123_001059.jpg

3 barrels per PFRE method.

View attachment 23571

1 row of 60 chip
View attachment 23568

Make tight around the chips. (this straightens all chips and keeps them from moving)
View attachment 23570

Roll it tight, pull off adhesive strip backing, finish rolling. (if you feel you didn't roll it tight enough, then add tape)
View attachment 23572

Put rolls in box, add packing peanuts (or other suitable packing material)
I normally put a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the box and on top before closing the flaps. It helps the box from being crushed when stacked with other packages. Then I tape all 6 sides of the box with pretty much no cardboard exposed.

View attachment 23569

Ship it!

I will be shipping 1000 chips to Switzerland. Will they fit in one large flat rate box? I've never shipped that many before.

Any tips/suggestions are welcome

Are these envelopes free?

View attachment 26938

Yes the USPS padded envelopes are free. You will need to create a USPS.com account to order.
https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?productId=P_EP14PE

(10) 100-count chip boxes will fit into a large flat rate box with room to spare for padding for secure shipping. They will not fit in a medium flat rate box.

If you want to roll them into padded envelopes, that should be fine too.

Altogether with packing materials it should be around 23-25lbs.

So international shipping is 20lbs max in that box?

The weight is just an estimate, based on 10 grams per chip or 10,000 grams total. That alone gets you to 22.05 lbs, plus box and packing material. But even at 9 grams/chip it’s 19.84lbs, and with box/packing material you’d still run over.

Thanks for the info. Max limit is 20 pounds i think

If you ship in two medium boxes instead, I would recommend you split the chips up such that you have two completely playable sets in each box. Given some of the more recent shipping issues the community has had sending and receiving chips, it would be prudent so that if one box were to be lost or stolen, you would at least be left with a playable set. (though I've been called paranoid for recently making this request, so take my advice for what it's worth ;))

@detroitdad . Yes the max is 20 and would be about $82 for the online price. You could do two mediums for $62.95 each if you want to go Priority International Flat rate. But if you go with the same size box Using Regular International priority with 6-10 days delivery date you can do it for around $87 for about 25 pounds. I do not kow if this includes tracking or insurance though.

Using Regular International priority with 6-10 days delivery date you can do it for around $87 for about 25 pounds. I do not kow if this includes tracking or insurance though.

Just curious...in checking the USPS.com site, I don't see a Regular International priority option.

https://www.usps.com/international/mail-shipping-services.htm

Where can we find out more about it?

Edit: never mind. Went under "Calculate a price" and selected a non-flat rate package. Insurance is extra up to a maximum of $675 for the package value. Doesn't appear to have a tracking option, and no signature service. Closest thing appears to be a "return receipt" option, if the receiving country supports it.

Last edited:
@CdnBeerLover Go to the USPS site and select the country you are sending it to. On the bottom select large package. Enter the weight and it will take you to the next screen where you enter the dimensions of the package. After entering the dimenisions click continue which takes you to the rates for each service. Be sure to "Display all options" at the top right of the page and it is usually the last price given

You can't send 1000 chips in a Priority LFRB overseas -- they weigh too much (and you're asking for trouble loading up a LFRB in any case, they break apart way too often).

Instead, send two Priority MFRB packages. 500 chips is well under the 20lb international weight limit even when including ample bubble-wrap and extra packing materials. Buy enough insurance for each package to cover your financial loss if something bad happens. You will be able to track International Priority packages.

Have fun with the required Customs forms.

Any thoughts on the number of chips that can be shipping in a SFRB?

I know 1 rack can be shipped for sure, but not two. somewhere in between? Who has experience with this?

Thanks

I know 1 rack can be shipped for sure, but not two. somewhere in between? Who has experience with this?

Thanks
It's around 150, depending on how much padding you use. Three long, tightly wrapped stacks seems like the best approach.

Thanks

It fits a 100-count chip box (the one w/ the removable lid, not the ASM/CPC one), with room for a long row of chips on top (50-55 chips, possibly up to 60) that can be well secured in a USPS padded envelope.

It's around 150, depending on how much padding you use. Three long, tightly wrapped stacks seems like the best approach.

It fits a 100-count chip box (the one w/ the removable lid, not the ASM/CPC one), with room for a long row of chips on top (50-55 chips, possibly up to 60) that can be well secured in a USPS padded envelope.

Thanks, perfect!

I sent 176 chips in a SFRB, 3 rows in a single padded envelope with padding between the rows. Oh, and lots and lots of tape.

For less than a dollar more ( I think it's only 10-20c more) you can ship in the flat rate bubble mailer envelope. It will hold substantially more,
but proper prep needs to be done.
If memory serves, 2 racks or boxes can easily fit with room for extras. Properly wrap (saran wrap will keep the chips from moving) the racks.
Take one bubble mailer and cut it in half. Put one rack in each half and tape tightly. Then fit each rack in the mailer and you're good to go.
These are free but must be ordered from USPS.

PS: Also, when you order some of these from USPS, be sure and get some Regional B boxes, too.
Very often they will save you substantial money on larger shipments. Depending on the region, it is often little more than the small flat-rate. Even shipping across country it can be the best deal. And if nothing else, they work great for putting inside the medium flat-rate box for those chips that require special double-boxed extra safe and secure packaging.

Last edited:
Regional B boxes

An easy rule of thumb is that Regional B boxes ship for whatever the rate is for a 4 pound package. So while not flat rate (the cost varies depending on the zone you're shipping to), they are good for shipping heavy/dense items (like chips) and can sometimes be a better deal than flat-rate boxes for shorter distance shipping.

Regional A boxes are smaller (and thinner cardboard) and ship at a rate equal to a 2 pound package.

. .. & "A" boxes are always cheaper than the regular medium Flate rate box, to any zipcode ...

Correct, although to be fair, an "A" box is quite a bit smaller than a medium flat rate box.

A regional "B" box is more comparable in size (to a MFRB) and can vary from cheaper (for short distances) to more expensive (for long distances).

Correct, although to be fair, an "A" box is quite a bit smaller than a medium flat rate box.

A regional "B" box is more comparable in size (to a MFRB) and can vary from cheaper (for short distances) to more expensive (for long distances).
Yes, an "A" is a "bit" smaller, & a "B" is a "bit" larger than a med flate rate box.. I often use them both in my business....
There's also a "Board Game Sized" Large Flate Rate Box, it's over 2ft long & a foot wide, and will ship to any zipcode for around $15-16 & is allowed up to 70 pounds . I'm sure that could hold a boatload of well packed chips as well!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom