Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (3 Viewers)

Planning to ship some packages containing 5 ceramic chips each.

I was initially planning to send via bubble mailer, but in the name of science, I will try via first class mail (non machinable). The initial plan is chips wrapped in stapled paper, taped to trifolded cardstock, inside a regular envelope. Drop off with the clerk and ask that they send as non machinable.

I have replacements if a few don't make it. Do yall foresee mass issues with this plan?
First class mail has a limit of one ounce. Even just five chips will be over that limit, especially when you add the weight of the stapled paper, trifolded cardstock and the envelope itself.

edit: I just did a quick search, and found this. First class must have been re-defined.

1698072912845.png

First class mail has a limit of one ounce. Even just five chips will be over that limit, especially when you add the weight of the stapled paper, trifolded cardstock and the envelope itself.

edit: I just did a quick search, and found this. First class must have been re-defined.

View attachment 1213716
Specificly I was looking at first class letters, which I believe is limited to 3.5oz, with each oz over 1oz requiring additional postage, along with a non machinable surcharge.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Not...DA3NTI3Ni4xLjAuMTY5ODA3NTI3Ni4wLjAuMA..#_c037

7F0A10AF-6C0F-4A64-AFC7-5C019F36F8D8.jpeg

71F30382-21C2-4DBF-BBFE-A27DD943E374.jpeg

I think my total weight will be between 2-3oz- the chips weigh 1.6oz. I'll confirm when I have the rest of the supplies

There’s first class letter and there’s also first class flats (not to be confused with flat rate), which are slightly different services.

Even though the max dimensions for first class flats are big enough that you should be able to ship a barrel of chips if you stagger the row to make them flatter, I tried shipping some chips like that once and the postal worker told me that flats should be fairly uniform in thickness and still bendable even at max thickness.

So I had to rearrange the layout of the chips I was selling so they they laid completely flat and more spread out, so the overall package was more uniform and bendable

There’s first class letter and there’s also first class flats (not to be confused with flat rate), which are slightly different services.

Even though the max dimensions for first class flats are big enough that you should be able to ship a barrel of chips if you stagger the row to make them flatter, I tried shipping some chips like that once and the postal worker told me that flats should be fairly uniform in thickness and still bendable even at max thickness.

So I had to rearrange the layout of the chips I was selling so they they laid completely flat and more spread out, so the overall package was more uniform and bendable
From my understanding after doing some research, any paper envelope that's letter-size (3.5"x5"x0.007" to 6.125"x11.5"x0.25") can be shipped as a letter. Rigidity only determines machinability.

That said, I also learned that "nonmachinable letters" sometimes get machined anyways, and the cardstock is there to streamline the letter in case it happens and reduce likelihood of damage or separation. Others on PCF have used cereal boxes or index cards.

With just the paper wrapping, the chips pass the flats bend test. Will try again with the whole envelope.

While chips in a regular envelope may pass a test or two, that doesn't make it the safest way to ship.
With all the things that can go wrong while shipping, why choose the riskier path?

With the added postage, also comes piece of mind. I prefer the padded envelope.

While chips in a regular envelope may pass a test or two, that doesn't make it the safest way to ship.
With all the things that can go wrong while shipping, why choose the riskier path?

With the added postage, also comes piece of mind. I prefer the padded envelope.
For science! For this unusual period where I'm shipping out a number of chips with replacements available and no urgent timelines, the cost of experimentation is pretty low.

---

The filled envelopes are 2.3oz and they pass the bend test. Lil batch ready to go.

The local PO clerk doesn't have a "non-machinable" ink stamp, but she stamped it "do not bend". Let's see what happens...

F8C7D353-6C00-4FD2-B93D-07DA3A3D1F66.jpeg

837DA8AF-96C1-4216-9528-2F8A80631C82.jpeg

For science! For this unusual period where I'm shipping out a number of chips with replacements available and no urgent timelines, the cost of experimentation is pretty low.

---

The filled envelopes are 2.3oz and they pass the bend test. Lil batch ready to go.

The local PO clerk doesn't have a "non-machinable" ink stamp, but she stamped it "do not bend". Let's see what happens...

View attachment 1214085

View attachment 1214084
Haha, that's quite elaborate packaging!
The clerk may not have had a "non-machinable" stamp, but the term is called hand cancelling, whereby the postal clerk cancels the stamp by hand, thus not needing to go through the machine. The fact that she didnt realize thats what you were looking for is unfortunate.

Fingers crossed...for science! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Haha, that's quite elaborate packaging!
The clerk may not have had a "non-machinable" stamp, but the term is called hand cancelling, whereby the postal clerk cancels the stamp by hand, thus not needing to go through the machine. The fact that she didnt realize thats what you were looking for is unfortunate.

Fingers crossed...for science! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
My very first test today was a single envelope without stamps. So I assume hand cancelling wasn't needed.

We'll find out tomorrow about how the hand cancelling goes.

Here's the thing, though. Just because USPS delivers it this time doesn't mean the same size/weight package with the same postage won't get flagged next time.

Taking it to the counter and dropping it off can have vastly different results too.

Here's the thing, though. Just because USPS delivers it this time doesn't mean the same size/weight package with the same postage won't get flagged next time.

Taking it to the counter and dropping it off can have vastly different results too.
I read the USPS manual, I'm fairly certain I'm compliant (for the gory details, see 101.1.1 here: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#ep1046732 ).

I dropped off at the counter because I like the staff at my PO. Always helpful. Hoping it'll help my envelopes make it into a non-machinable pile. We'll see! But it depends on the sorting centers too. I peered into the black box through /r/USPS and am not sure...

9EF756F3-A3E3-4892-BF07-851FBD278C3E.jpeg

6AB7BF3C-ACCA-46B9-ADA5-D8A048862D4F.jpeg

I've dropped a envelope with two chips, properly padded and secured, in a mailbox on the mail slot inside the post office with a machinable stamp affixed and never had an issue (postage due, delivery, or damaged chip). But I've taken it to the counter and got charged as a package, either because it was rigid, or because it was too thick (even tho it fit through the slot gauge they have at each station).

The ladies at my post office are mean.

I've dropped a envelope with two chips, properly padded and secured, in a mailbox on the mail slot inside the post office with a machinable stamp affixed and never had an issue (postage due, delivery, or damaged chip). But I've taken it to the counter and got charged as a package, either because it was rigid, or because it was too thick (even tho it fit through the slot gauge they have at each station).

The ladies at my post office are mean.
They're also just plain wrong. "Is too rigid" is a non-machinable characteristic. It is not mentioned in the letter rules. Flats have to bend, not letters.

But if the blue box drop off works, then all is well.

---

View attachment 1214085

View attachment 1214084
How many chips for two bunnies and a butterfly? Hope they're not to scale! ;)

How many chips for two bunnies and a butterfly? Hope they're not to scale! ;)
Wahddaya got against giant butterflies?

Butterfly is like a regular forever stamp but includes the 40¢ non machinable surcharge.

One bunny per extra oz over 1.

982B0BE3-3EA0-4D42-9136-B4F6275690E9.jpeg

022D3995-D2D8-436C-83B3-8A22820E6AE9.jpeg

95625760-0343-4D6F-83FE-6F262785173E.jpeg

I was initially planning to send via bubble mailer, but in the name of science, I will try via first class mail (non machinable). The initial plan is chips wrapped in stapled paper, taped to trifolded cardstock, inside a regular envelope. Drop off with the clerk and ask that they send as non machinable.

I have replacements if a few don't make it. Do yall foresee mass issues with this plan?
Shipping update:

Success! Overall, if you're sending 8 or fewer ceramic chips that are easily replaceable, letters are a good choice.

Control group: 2/2 packages delivered. 3 days.
Experiment group: 5/5 letters delivered. 4-6 days.

Second experiment group is now on its way.

Shipping update:

Success! Overall, if you're sending 8 or fewer ceramic chips that are easily replaceable, letters are a good choice.

Control group: 2/2 packages delivered. 3 days.
Experiment group: 5/5 letters delivered. 4-6 days.

Second experiment group is now on its way.
What is the cost savings of letter vs bubble mailer?

What is the cost savings of letter vs bubble mailer?

tl;dr: save about $2-3 per mailpiece.

Prices vary by zone, but for me (Zone 8, since I'm far from 48 states),

Letter

1-3 chips (2oz non-machinable): $1.30
4-7 chips (3oz non-machinable): $1.54
8 chips (3.5oz non-machinable): $1.78

Bubble Mailer

1-10 chips, zone 8, PirateShip: $4.13
1-10 chips, zone 8, USPS retail: $5.25

There's even more savings if you're willing to skip the "non-machinable" part. Not sure if the envelopes are being machined... my recipients would know but I haven't asked yet.

1-3 chips (2oz): $0.90
4-7 chips (3oz): $1.14
8 chips (3.5oz): $1.38

---

Pretty sure this experiment didn't save me very much money, but it's for science x)

Maybe if I ever start selling singles...

I actually enjoy the experiment. I think I used letters when I sent out samples of my CPC set, with a cardboard (cereal box) sleeve to prevent chips from shooting out, but that was many moons ago.

Mine arrived safe and sound. Thank you!
IMG_8659.jpeg

Someone in processing machined one of my non-machinable letters and then returned it for postage due, probably because it doesn't go through their machine. l o l

Good news is with my packing method, the contents are secured, no catastrophic failure.

EB6E3331-B6DE-4EE0-B23A-FF91B14F5538.jpeg

Postal clerk agrees with me and re-sent it, but it's clear not everyone in USPS knows the rules, and if your chips must arrive quickly, send a package.

After waiting for a package for 5-6 weeks it got returned to sender with these stickers attached.
47227955-0B8D-42CB-8DB8-D42595660D16.jpeg

F3B966FF-EC6B-42E7-A09F-88D12C3F72CE.jpeg

Anyone experienced this? How to avoid it from happening again?

This is from the US to Norway btw.

After waiting for a package for 5-6 weeks it got returned to sender with these stickers attached.
View attachment 1236526
View attachment 1236527

Anyone experienced this? How to avoid it from happening again?

This is from the US to Norway btw.

I'm having an odd opposite issue, in a way. I'm sending a package to Canada for @philhut and it has inadvertently made its way to your nordic neighbor two countries over:

1702329253328.png

I'm having an odd opposite issue, in a way. I'm sending a package to Canada for @philhut and it has inadvertently made its way to your nordic neighbor two countries over:

View attachment 1238624
I do believe that it has something to do with "export rates". The packages are thusly treated as a part of a bulk shipment, and packages are peeled off / added in as needed.

Think of it like the airport. A Flight from Nashville to Las Vegas may travel north to Chicago, where people disembark while others board. Then it goes to San Francisco, and more passengers trade places. Finally, you land in Vegas, but the plane is still headed elsewhere. Somehow that is "efficient", but from a single package point of view, it looks rather silly.

I do believe that it has something to do with "export rates". The packages are thusly treated as a part of a bulk shipment, and packages are peeled off / added in as needed.

Think of it like the airport. A Flight from Nashville to Las Vegas may travel north to Chicago, where people disembark while others board. Then it goes to San Francisco, and more passengers trade places. Finally, you land in Vegas, but the plane is still headed elsewhere. Somehow that is "efficient", but from a single package point of view, it looks rather silly.

I have to think there's enough packages going from Los Angeles to Canada that there would be enough bulk not to warrant being bundled into a package that has to traverse the Atlantic! But that explanation does make sense. I guess we will just wait it out...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom