Take care of your things and they'll take care of you! (4 Viewers)

So do you wipe the oily water off the inlay with this method? Terrified of messing up labels but this sounds so much easier
i dabbed them dry and then allowed evaporation to do the rest for 24 hours one side 24 hours the other. I do not take responsibility for any damage though as this seemed to be a major reason for concern in this forum.

So do you wipe the oily water off the inlay with this method? Terrified of messing up labels but this sounds so much easier
Yes. You can also lay a second towel on top and pat dry.

Oil/water is the only way to go, especially if you are a lazy chipper like me

i dabbed them dry and then allowed evaporation to do the rest for 24 hours one side 24 hours the other. I do not take responsibility for any damage though as this seemed to be a major reason for concern in this forum.
Hate to bring this news....mineral oil does not evaporate.
I would try to wipe off as much as possible.

1711590814224.gif

Hate to bring this news....mineral oil does not evaporate.
I would try to wipe off as much as possible.
i should also clarify for lazy chippers yes, there is still a "wipe down of every chip individually" phase. By letting evap. do the rest i more so meant for any water in the mixture.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oiling-chips-done-right.14343/

Whilst I am sceptical of "Compression Oiling" I do believe that individually wiping a chip with a tiny bit of oil on a cloth is the superior method. Plus, if you wipe each chip down anyway, I'm not sure you're saving any time by doing it the other way...

Results speak for themselves...

1711629072294.png

I'm with @JP1984 on this one... I've cleaned and oiled many chips, including Majestics when I first started. I bulk washed in dawn/warm water, rinsed thoroughly in bulk. Spread them out on a towel to dry, placed another towel on top to pat dry. Then used a microfiber rag with a small dab of oil to wipe the outer edge (area from edge of label to outer edge of chip).

Its a bit of a PITA, but, if I was going to be wiping each chip anyway I decided to make the most of it. This is the process I found to be easiest and most effective.

And yes, to answer the snobs question, oiling CC is a thing. They arrive with a dusty layer just like the grown up chips, and, aesthetically benefit from a clean/oil.

I just skipped the washing step.

1. Open up Netflix
2. Grab a cloth, hold it against the top of the bottle of oil, turn it upside down for a split second, cloth is now ready to go
3. Grab a chip and spin the edge in the cloth
4. Repeat 19 times
5. Repeat step 2 and continue until all chips are done

No need to dry, evaporate, set aside or anything else weird. You can do a rack in under an hour, easy.

1711630185439.png

Less really is more...

Last edited:
I just skipped the washing step.

1. Open up Netflix Soundcloud
2. Grab a cloth, hold it against the top of the bottle of oil, turn it upside down for a split second, cloth is now ready to go
3. Grab a chip and spin the edge in the cloth whole barrel and wax the rolling edge.
4. Repeat 19 times
4. Repeat step 2 and continue until all chips barrels are done.
5. wipe off by spin the edge of the chip in the cloth. Oils the spots without the inlay/label

No need to dry, evapoate, set aside or anything else weird. You can do a rack in under an hour, easy.

View attachment 1300669

Less really is more...

Not sure why there is so much fear of treating the whole chip.

I have never had any issue with either light hand oiling or the water method affecting the inlay. I’ve mostly oiled Paulsons, but also ASMs, Royals, and various waterproof inlay replacements, both @Gear labels and homemade ones.

Unless the label is exposed paper, IDGI.

@Taghkanic I think you're correct in this line of thinking, my only concern would be CC chips that have been relabeled. Without knowing what someone has I'm reluctant to say what won't harm their labels. Obviously, relabeled chips are going to be more susceptible to issues than chips like Paulson, TRK, even CPC (though their labels are much easier to remove than Paulson). Some relabeled CC chips could have issues with direct oil on the labels, especially when left in quantity for long periods.

@Taghkanic I think you're correct in this line of thinking, my only concern would be CC chips that have been relabeled. Without knowing what someone has I'm reluctant to say what won't harm their labels. Obviously, relabeled chips are going to be more susceptible to issues than chips like Paulson, TRK, even CPC (though their labels are much easier to remove than Paulson). Some relabeled CC chips could have issues with direct oil on the labels, especially when left in quantity for long periods.

FWIW I just used the oil-water method on three barrels of murdered RPCs with homemade inlay replacements. These were made with outdoor (waterproof) vinyl and self-applied laminates. No problem.

Certainly exposed paper would be an issue with any kind of cleaning or oiling… But I’m not sure many members have chips like that, or would fail to realize that they can’t apply anything to paper.

Last edited:
Even with laminated labels, if they aren't applied during the compression stage of chip manufacture then they could be susceptible to oil and water seepage, which, over time, could weaken the adhesive. It is a legitimate concern, but, not likely to be a big issue. Longterm soaking and excessive oil could definitely weaken the adhesive. Just use some common sense.

And yes, to answer the snobs question, oiling CC is a thing. They arrive with a dusty layer just like the grown up chips, and, aesthetically benefit from a clean/oil.
I don’t know if it’s snobbery to question this. A dust layer can be wiped off with a damp cloth - that doesn’t mean they need oil.
I wish I still had some China clays laying around because I’d love to experiment for myself. But I have seen people post before and after pictures of oiled China clays and it was nearly impossible to tell the difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom