Too many fracs?!? (31 Viewers)

1710512723159.gif
IMG_0357.jpeg

1710512862167.gif

We play 5c/10c at our game so we're a bit frac heavy.

I have 1 rack of nickles and 2 racks of quarters and our crew uses 'em.

Yes, but this makes actual sense, since your quarters are your 1st workhorse.

The debate is REALLY more about how many "blind chips" vs "workhorse chips," but "blind chips" and "fracs" get used interchangeably on PCF because they mean the same thing when the blinds are in multiples of quarters, which are probably the most common stakes played among PCFers.

However, if your blinds are smaller than that (and for that matter if they are bigger than that as well, 1-2 would have no fracs and singles as the "blind chip") the argument is over how many blind chips are enough/too many.

(but yes of course if you are playing for stakes smaller than quarter blinds, you will have multiple "frac" denoms in play.)

I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE FRACS!! However, 1 rack is the perfect amount no matter how large ypur set is. We typically play .50/$1 and 1 rack of fracs is more than enough for 1 tor 3 tables. I bought 2 racks of fracs once thinking I needed them for 2 or 3 table, but found it to be a waste of time and money. Half way through the night I started pulling fracs off the table.

Why is 1 rack of fracs more than enough for a varying number of players? IMHO, it's because they are not workhorse chips.

What if you play $0.25/$0.50?

What if you play $0.25/$0.50?
Right. If you play .50/1 with .50 fracs and the whole table of 9 limped in, you’d need 2 fracs.
Doing that with quarters at a .25/.50 table, you’d need 18 fracs. There’s a huge difference.
I play .25/.50, typicallly 7-8 handed and I say a rack is fine. I feel pretty strongly that 12 quarters per player is enough and I usually just give a full barrel to the first 5 guys who buy in and let people make change after that.
I wouldn’t argue with people who think 120 is a better number, but two racks is too much, in my experience. Again, those chips have to be counted down for every all-in and every cash out. Keep that number low.

I don’t know what side I am anymore, moar fracs or less fracs.

My instincts started as moar fracs, so I started with two racks of 25¢, giving a barrel as a starting stack.

After hosting 6 games this year, it’s starting to get annoying during cashing out. We play 50¢/$1. So like someone said earlier, the fracs are essentially only in play during the blinds or an all in.

I like the uniform stacks (20/20/15), but next game I’m gonna try 12/17/18 and see how it goes. Also, I sold a rack of 25¢, so if I have more than 5 I can’t give a barrel anymore

I think tourney players like having as few chips as possible in front of them. Cuz they’re either folding or going all in.
Maybe bad tournament players (the ones that hate tournaments) do this and like only a few chips.
But good ones don’t.
Cash games need lots of chip because they are compensating.

More chips is more better.
That is my excuse for using a $2 chip in our 8 player .25 / .50 game. After Re-buys we get 5 different chips on the table!

$50 Starting Buy-in:
.25 - 12x
$1 - 12x
$2 - 5x
$5 - 5x

Re-Buys:
$20 - 2x
$5 - 2x

I don’t know what side I am anymore, moar fracs or less fracs.

My instincts started as moar fracs, so I started with two racks of 25¢, giving a barrel as a starting stack.

After hosting 6 games this year, it’s starting to get annoying during cashing out. We play 50¢/$1. So like someone said earlier, the fracs are essentially only in play during the blinds or an all in.

I like the uniform stacks (20/20/15), but next game I’m gonna try 12/17/18 and see how it goes. Also, I sold a rack of 25¢, so if I have more than 5 I can’t give a barrel anymore
I don’t think I’ve ever actually played .50/$1 NLHE, honestly I'm not sure. But if I did, I’d be thinking four 50 cent fracs per person. You could twist my arm to start people with more, if it somehow made number round, but I can’t imagine going up to 12, let alone 20.
Just my fifty cents though.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually played .50/$1 NLHE, honestly I'm not sure. But if I did, I’d be thinking four 50 cent fracs per person. You could twist my arm to start people with more, if it somehow made number round, but I can’t imagine going up to 12, let alone 20.
I’ve considered the controversial 50¢ chip for the one setting it seems reasonable, 50¢/$1. But I also thought we’d be playing lower stakes, 25¢/50¢, so the 25¢ frac obviously needed for that.

Game escalated quickly to 50¢/$1 being the preferred stakes…

I’ve noticed that when fracs make their way into a discussion, most people comment that a barrel of fracs per person is too much. The argument that is generally made is that too many fracs on the table is bad, and that everyone will just make change, or raise up the blinds. No more than $2-$3 in fracs per person. (.25/.50) (Also I’m a believer that making constant change sucks.)

With that being said, when people run 1/2 or 1/3 games, do you give everyone a full barrel of $1’s? If so, isn’t that basically the same thing? I’ve seen home game pics in the forums where there are 2000 or more $1’s on the table. Why not more 5’s?

For my .25/.50 game. I use 12 x .25, 17 x 1, 16 x 5 for everyone. I use fives for the rebuys until I run out. Then I move to the twenty fives.

For the time being I stopped using my quarters and we play .50/.50 now. I put out three barrels of .50 and it's arguably too many even nine handed. For .50/1 I would probably do two barrels for the whole table (or just skip em and play 1/1)

For my .25/.50 game. I use 12 x .25, 17 x 1, 16 x 5 for everyone. I use fives for the rebuys until I run out. Then I move to the twenty fives.

This is exactly what I do when I use quarters. If a ninth guy sits down I'd give him those last four quarters with his initial buyin.

This is exactly what I do when I use quarters. If a ninth guy sits down I'd give him those last four quarters with his initial buyin.

We play 7 to 8 player max. This isn't ever an issue. Otherwise, I probably just give him twenty x 1 and 16 x 5.

If you play .50/1 with .50 fracs and the whole table of 9 limped in, you’d need 2 fracs.
Doing that with quarters at a .25/.50 table, you’d need 18 fracs.
So nine times as many fracs are needed in a 25c/50c game. Got it.
I’d be thinking four 50 cent fracs per person.
So according to your logic and calculations, one needs 4 x 9 players = 36 total 50c chips for a nine-handed 50c/$1 game. And expanding on that with your theory, one needs 36 x 9 = 324 total 25c chips for a nine-handed 25c/50c game. Sorry, but that seems way too few, and way too many.

I think below is a more realistic calculation, based on a player winning enough fracs in 45 hands* to not require change-making:

For a nine-handed 50c/$1 game, a single player needs at most 10 x 50c chips to post blinds (2 chips) for five orbits: 10 x 9 players = 90 total 50c chips needed.

For a nine-handed 25c/50c game, a single player needs at most 20 x 25c chips to post blinds (4 chips) for five orbits: 20 x 9 players = 180 total 25c chips needed.

* I could even be persuaded that just four orbits / 36 hands should suffice, making those numbers 72 total 50c chips and 144 total 25c chips.

100-120 blinds chips for a nine-handed game is plenty.

I play .25/.50 with a bunch of cretins who love to make $2-4 bets with all quarters, and it's a PITA. Don't make my drunk, banking-and-hosting ass count your stack of quarters to figure out if you bet $3.25 or $3.50.

Gtfo GIF by Migos

100-120 blinds chips for a nine-handed game is plenty.

I play .25/.50 with a bunch of cretins who love to make $2-4 bets with all quarters, and it's a PITA. Don't make my drunk, banking-and-hosting ass count your stack of quarters to figure out if you bet $3.25 or $3.50.

Gtfo GIF by Migos
A simple cash game rule of "fracs only play pre-flop as blinds or in all-in bets" fixes that nonsense easily. Our mantra is "Use your big chips, dummy."

My set is 0.10-0.50-1-5 denoms.

I typically do 6/12/x when I host 0.50-1.

For the time being I stopped using my quarters and we play .50/.50 now. I put out three barrels of .50 and it's arguably too many even nine handed. For .50/1 I would probably do two barrels for the whole table (or just skip em and play 1/1)
I do 6/32/x when we play 0.50-0.50. This uses 3 barrels and is plenty for our game.

You wanna know how stupid I feel reading and debating in my head what side of this debate I’m on?

I’m literally replaying games over and over in my brain and trying to decide…. Is more or less the better approach?

We’re all fucking retarded…. And I’m feeling like the King of it right now :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Also….. One rack. :ninja:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom