Tourney What are some fun NLHE Tournament Tweaks? (5 Viewers)

We also shake things up with different bonuses. This year we have a game on Star Wars Day - May the Fourth (be with you). Each player will select a character (Rebel or Empire). When there is only one side remaining, the whole team splits the prize pool that is set aside (probably $100). Knock out a teammate, more money for you. Knock out the opposition, the closer you are to getting paid.
This is the inventive content I was hoping for when I posted this thread! Amazing.

We always do a high hand. Typically a $40 buy in, $5 for bounty and $5 towards high hand. My players like both the bounty and high hand.

Bonuses
- $45
(2 tables) per game (TD discretion)
- $5 - Aces Cracked: Getting beat when you have pocket Aces
- $5 - King Cracked: Getting beat when you have pocket Kings
- $5 - Queens Cracked: Getting beat when you have pocket Queens
- $5 - Quads Cracked: Getting Quads beat when you have a pocket pair that completed quads
- $10 - The Worst Starting Hand: Bluff: Winning a hand with 7-2 off-suit in the hole
- $10 - The Computer Hand: Winning a hand with Q-7 off suit in the hole
- $10 - Doyle Brunson: Winning a hand with 10♠ 2♠ in the hole
- $5 - To the big stack at first break (cannot have rebought)

I want to do a Heads-Up tournament, but if the shootout was not greatly received, I imagine HU would be even less appreciated.
I’ve done these before. One caveat - shit tons of shuffling. If you have people that hate shuffling or can’t shuffle they will hate this format.

I neglected to mention the kind of bonuses that some of these recent posts have mentioned. During our April game, we celebrate April Fools by playing the 7-2 game (bonus if you win a hand with 7-2).

We did something similar with T-2 when Doyle Brunson passed.

We also sometimes run a double bounty on the winner of the previous tournament.
This is one format that I’ll never understand. Why would you want to play in a tournament where you’re not playing half the time?
To try to answer my own question, I guess it would work if it was part of a larger social even, so you can mingle with the wives or play bocce or something, when you’re not playing. But then my question becomes why would you want to squeeze poker into a larger social event?
Our group had fun with the tag team event for a few reasons. First, my game has a pretty large player base (25-30 players), but most of them are very casual. They come in part because we make it a fun social atmosphere (themed food, music, etc.). In fact, my players enjoy chatting on the breaks and color ups so much that it is sometimes hard to get them back to the table. So, they really enjoyed the format that allowed half of the group to chat, spectate, etc. while the other half were playing.

We also structured the event to create a bit of a strategic element. We allowed teams to swap players out at blind increases and we required each teammate to play at least one out of every three levels. Some teams (mostly the teams that were equally skilled) swapped every level (or every two levels). Other teams played their better player as much as possible (two levels on, one level off). Other teams seemed to take other factors into consideration, especially as blinds got high and/or tables got shorthanded. Some players are more skilled at short-stack play, some are more or less comfortable shorthanded, some match up better against different playing styles or skill levels, etc.

We also introduced a limited number of “talk it over” chips; use one of your chips and you could discuss a hand in progress with your teammate before making a decision. It was interesting to see how people took advantage of those opportunities, and they seemed to enjoy the idea.

Whatever the reason, this ended up being one of our liveliest events with people seeming to have a lot of fun with the different elements.

In the league that @T_Chan runs, we have done a doubles tournament a few times now. Everyone gets a random partner (our league generally has about 28 players each night), and EVERYONE gets assigned a seat. At the blind level increase, you and your partner switch seats (leaving the stacks in the same spot). For this event, each team was given a Rebuy/add-on chip. If someone busted out before the break (about 2 hours in), the team had the option to use the rebuy chip for that spot. At the break, any teams that still had their rebuy chip could turn it in for an add-on (usually the starting stack, may have been slightly more), and they could choose how they wanted to disperse the add-on between their two stacks.

It's always a lot of fun. The one issue is that at every blind level change, there is a "mini" break, because everyone has to get up and change seats. The first few times we ran this event, it made the night go extremely long. We have become more militant about getting everyone into their seats right away though, and it kept things more under control.

I am REALLY intrigued by @Poker Zombie 's star wars game though. Sounds like a really cool concept. I might even like to see it broken down to 3 or 4 teams competing for the prize.

Mike

I am REALLY intrigued by @Poker Zombie 's star wars game though. Sounds like a really cool concept. I might even like to see it broken down to 3 or 4 teams competing for the prize.
I had originally thought about 3 teams. Rebels (Luke, Leia, etc), Empire (Vader, Sith lords), and independent (Jabba, Boba Fett). Players would initially get Rebel or Empire, and rebuys would all be independent.

Then after binge-watching the entire series, I noticed a repeated theme: Person who should be killed, only lost a hand (A thug in the cantina, Luke, The snow creature on Hoth, C3PO, Vader, Mace Windu, Count Dooku... the list goes on. So I decided that a rebuy keeps you alive, and on the same team.

I had also contemplated that knocking out a "teammate" would mean you crossed over to the other team. Star Wars is full of defections, so this would play into the theme. From a hosting point of view I decided that it was not in my best interest to try to keep up with all the defections, especially when the tournament gets down to the crunch levels where players hovering around starting stack all night get swallowed by the blinds.

So I decided to keep with the simple theme. I will report on the results on May 5th (if I'm hungover, it would be the 7th).

Star Wars game results

We had 22 players over 3 tables (8/7/7). Players that came dressed in theme were assigned to the side to match their outfit (either Empire or Rebel). The rest drew "randomly".

I started with Pente stones. Black for Empire, White for Rebel, placing them in 3 different bags (one bag for each table). The first bag had 4 of each color, so the last player to pick just got what was left. The next bag also had 8 stones (4 of each color), but 7 players. the remaining stone went into the 3rd bag which had 3 of each color.

I had pre-randomized seating, so as players showed up in dress, I would pull the stone from their bag, so they would get their appropriate team. Dress like Princess Leia, and I'm not making you play for the Empire. In the event 5 rebels would have been sitting at the same table to start, I had a preset plan to move players, but that wasn't necessary. In the end, what I had devised was a way to make the starting tables as close to even as possible.

After pulling a stone, you would select a bounty marker:
1715117749061.png

Just some fun bounty markers made for the occasion.

I could explain all the rules, but it would be easier to just show you the newsletter:
1715118123342.jpeg

Inside the Zombie's Brain is our regular newsletter. This was the 110th issue, in case you don't do roman numerals that high.

Originally, I was going to do a $100 bonus, but went with $200, because it divides into equal shares better. In case you were wondering how the rest of the pay table went...
1715118392936.png

The bonus table scrolls down to 13 players, but I could have stopped at 11, though it would be wildly unlikely that all of 1 side would get eliminated before any of the other side. Always have a plan, even if you know the odds that you won't have to implement it (roughly 2000-1 against).

A number of players got into the theme (not all are shown here, because this was taken on a break, and smokers gotta smoke and drinkers gotta pee).
1715118819664.png

People really started getting into the bonus, as knockouts weren't just "who got knocked out", but "which team!"

Musically, I built a Spotify setlist called Star Wars Setlist. It was carefully curated so the tempo of the music changed every level. To make it even better, parts of movie soundtracks used for battle scenes were used around the levels where I anticipated players getting knocked out, and the FInale music was used at the final level (these things are all calculatable for tournaments).
1715119447403.png

The icing on the cake - Spotify turned the progress bar / timing bar at the bottom of the screen into a lightsaber :cool

If you run a 5 hour Star Wars tournament with 15 minute levels and 12 minute breaks every hour, I left the playlist public

The final table sat 5 rebels and 5 Empire, which dropped to 4 and 4, then 3 and 3. When it got to 2 vs 2, the chip leader suggested a chop - A "New Republic" if you will.

In the end, the Stormtrooper blasted Emperor Palpatine for first.
1715119151459.png

Empress Star chips, and Death Star dealer buttons for the win.

Those that know, know that is PCF's own @Jonesey07 . He selected the Stormtrooper because "he looked the coolest". Jonsey has never seen a Star Wars movie, do he didn't know he should miss every time he draws.

Swag left behind by one of our players with a 3d printer...
1715120180147.png

In the end, it was a huge success. May the 4th won't land on gameday again until 2030, but you bet we will be hosting that day, and will use this bonus again!

What a sun run for the stormtrooper as well. I was down to my last 20k in chips with the blinds at 5k/15k and then proceeded to run over the table from that point.

Everyone gets a bounty chip. When you are eliminated, you cash in each chip for a chance to pull an envelope from a basket. Each envelope contains one bounty. One envelope contains the mystery bounty.
Going to do a tweak on my first upcoming Mystery Bounty tournament.

$20 bounty. $10 goes to the bounty chip. The other $10 gets pooled together.

On each bounty token, there will be a miniature playing card taped to it. When you knock someone out, they hand you their bounty and you get $10. But then you peel the card off. If you have an Ace? You've knocked out the Mystery Bouny and get the pooled Mystery Bounty money in addition to their $10.

If there is an undeclared Mystery bounty come the bubble, then all remaining layers peel their taped card. They get to keep their Mystery Bounty by virtue of surviving.

Star Wars game results

We had 22 players over 3 tables (8/7/7). Players that came dressed in theme were assigned to the side to match their outfit (either Empire or Rebel). The rest drew "randomly".

I started with Pente stones. Black for Empire, White for Rebel, placing them in 3 different bags (one bag for each table). The first bag had 4 of each color, so the last player to pick just got what was left. The next bag also had 8 stones (4 of each color), but 7 players. the remaining stone went into the 3rd bag which had 3 of each color.

I had pre-randomized seating, so as players showed up in dress, I would pull the stone from their bag, so they would get their appropriate team. Dress like Princess Leia, and I'm not making you play for the Empire. In the event 5 rebels would have been sitting at the same table to start, I had a preset plan to move players, but that wasn't necessary. In the end, what I had devised was a way to make the starting tables as close to even as possible.

View attachment 1325499

I could explain all the rules, but it would be easier to just show you the newsletter:
View attachment 1325507
Inside the Zombie's Brain is our regular newsletter. This was the 110th issue, in case you don't do roman numerals that high.

Originally, I was going to do a $100 bonus, but went with $200, because it divides into equal shares better. In case you were wondering how the rest of the pay table went...
View attachment 1325509
The bonus table scrolls down to 13 players, but I could have stopped at 11, though it would be wildly unlikely that all of 1 side would get eliminated before any of the other side. Always have a plan, even if you know the odds that you won't have to implement it (roughly 2000-1 against).

A number of players got into the theme (not all are shown here, because this was taken on a break, and smokers gotta smoke and drinkers gotta pee).
View attachment 1325512

People really started getting into the bonus, as knockouts weren't just "who got knocked out", but "which team!"

Musically, I built a Spotify setlist called Star Wars Setlist. It was carefully curated so the tempo of the music changed every level. To make it even better, parts of movie soundtracks used for battle scenes were used around the levels where I anticipated players getting knocked out, and the FInale music was used at the final level (these things are all calculatable for tournaments).
View attachment 1325521
The icing on the cake - Spotify turned the progress bar / timing bar at the bottom of the screen into a lightsaber :cool

If you run a 5 hour Star Wars tournament with 15 minute levels and 12 minute breaks every hour, I left the playlist public

The final table sat 5 rebels and 5 Empire, which dropped to 4 and 4, then 3 and 3. When it got to 2 vs 2, the chip leader suggested a chop - A "New Republic" if you will.

View attachment 1325520

Those that know, know that is PCF's own @Jonesey07 . He selected the Stormtrooper because "he looked the coolest". Jonsey has never seen a Star Wars movie, do he didn't know he should miss every time he draws.

View attachment 1325536

In the end, it was a huge success. May the 4th won't land on gameday again until 2030, but you bet we will be hosting that day, and will use this bonus again!
I wish I lived in Tennessee so I could be your friend.

Star Wars game results

View attachment 1325499

View attachment 1325507

View attachment 1325509

View attachment 1325512

View attachment 1325521

View attachment 1325520

View attachment 1325536

This is just amazing. What fun!

I neglected to mention the kind of bonuses that some of these recent posts have mentioned. During our April game, we celebrate April Fools by playing the 7-2 game (bonus if you win a hand with 7-2).

We did something similar with T-2 when Doyle Brunson passed.

We also sometimes run a double bounty on the winner of the previous tournament.

Our group had fun with the tag team event for a few reasons. First, my game has a pretty large player base (25-30 players), but most of them are very casual. They come in part because we make it a fun social atmosphere (themed food, music, etc.). In fact, my players enjoy chatting on the breaks and color ups so much that it is sometimes hard to get them back to the table. So, they really enjoyed the format that allowed half of the group to chat, spectate, etc. while the other half were playing.

We also structured the event to create a bit of a strategic element. We allowed teams to swap players out at blind increases and we required each teammate to play at least one out of every three levels. Some teams (mostly the teams that were equally skilled) swapped every level (or every two levels). Other teams played their better player as much as possible (two levels on, one level off). Other teams seemed to take other factors into consideration, especially as blinds got high and/or tables got shorthanded. Some players are more skilled at short-stack play, some are more or less comfortable shorthanded, some match up better against different playing styles or skill levels, etc.

We also introduced a limited number of “talk it over” chips; use one of your chips and you could discuss a hand in progress with your teammate before making a decision. It was interesting to see how people took advantage of those opportunities, and they seemed to enjoy the idea.

Whatever the reason, this ended up being one of our liveliest events with people seeming to have a lot of fun with the different elements.

Seems to me if both players end up at the same table and heads up in the same hand and one of them is short stacked, there would be the temptation for either the bigger stake to purposefully lose some chips to the smaller stack or for the small stack to shove all in and surrender the stack to their partner. Did you see that dynamic play out?

Everyone gets a bounty chip. When you are eliminated, you cash in each chip for a chance to pull an envelope from a basket. Each envelope contains one bounty. One envelope contains the mystery bounty.
Those are fun!
IMG_2398.jpeg

Personal bounties are also fun. I put an extra $20 on the guy who knocked me out of the last tourney calling my all in TPTK with a six high flush draw that got there….

Seems to me if both players end up at the same table and heads up in the same hand and one of them is short stacked, there would be the temptation for either the bigger stake to purposefully lose some chips to the smaller stack or for the small stack to shove all in and surrender the stack to their partner. Did you see that dynamic play out?
Someone asked if collusion was allowed, since it was a "team" event.

My reply was you could, but that also takes away from your share of the prize pool. Eliminate a teammate, more money for you. Overall I did not detect any signs of dumping or soft-play. I videoed the table that Mrs Zombie and I were not at, but have not watched it yet, but based off of what I've seen, it was the same competitive level of poker, with a mystery (but calculatable) prize-pool.

Had the balance of Rebels and Empire at the final table been more uneven, I suspect it could have caused a change in play, but the 2 sides being so equal, I think everyone was just playing tournament poker. Players that stab for 1st cashed high or busted out. Players that typically min-cash broke close to the bubble.

Someone asked if collusion was allowed, since it was a "team" event.

My reply was you could, but that also takes away from your share of the prize pool. Eliminate a teammate, more money for you. Overall I did not detect any signs of dumping or soft-play. I videoed the table that Mrs Zombie and I were not at, but have not watched it yet, but based off of what I've seen, it was the same competitive level of poker, with a mystery (but calculatable) prize-pool.

Had the balance of Rebels and Empire at the final table been more uneven, I suspect it could have caused a change in play, but the 2 sides being so equal, I think everyone was just playing tournament poker. Players that stab for 1st cashed high or busted out. Players that typically min-cash broke close to the bubble.
Sounds like you introduced just enough mistrust and incentive to betray into the mix for folks to go for suboptimal game theory choices. I love it.

Star Wars game results

View attachment 1325499

View attachment 1325507

View attachment 1325509

View attachment 1325512

View attachment 1325521

View attachment 1325520

View attachment 1325536

This sounds like it worked out amazingly well. Thanks so much for the detail and inspiration.

I'm going to try to copy this as much as possible for a House of the Dragon themed event I'm holding in July. It was originally just going to be a simple all-bounty event (no theme). Then when I saw this idea pop up and heard about the release of HotD Season 2, I started working on a revised plan for a Dance of Dragons bounty event. I think your structure could be adapted for an all-bounty format ($20 entry, split either evenly between the normal bounty and team prize or 15/5). I'll give it a bit more thought.

I better get working on my playlist and bounty tokens though!

Thanks again!

Are you asking about our tag-team event? In that event, the two players are never playing at the same time. They are taking turns playing the same stack, so there is no possibility of collusion between the teammates.

Are you asking about our tag-team event? In that event, the two players are never playing at the same time. They are taking turns playing the same stack, so there is no possibility of collusion between the teammates.
Yeah, I realized after posting, that I had quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote @Racer96 And then @Poker Zombie responded thinking I was referring to his post and his response was so useful, I thought, "well, I'll just it go and not draw attention to my inability to click on the right button." But then you had to go and call me out! :)

This, here below, is the gameplay that makes me think collusion is incentivized. But maybe that's a feature and not a bug of this variation:
In the league that @T_Chan runs, we have done a doubles tournament a few times now. Everyone gets a random partner (our league generally has about 28 players each night), and EVERYONE gets assigned a seat. At the blind level increase, you and your partner switch seats (leaving the stacks in the same spot). For this event, each team was given a Rebuy/add-on chip. If someone busted out before the break (about 2 hours in), the team had the option to use the rebuy chip for that spot. At the break, any teams that still had their rebuy chip could turn it in for an add-on (usually the starting stack, may have been slightly more), and they could choose how they wanted to disperse the add-on between their two stacks.

It's always a lot of fun. The one issue is that at every blind level change, there is a "mini" break, because everyone has to get up and change seats. The first few times we ran this event, it made the night go extremely long. We have become more militant about getting everyone into their seats right away though, and it kept things more under control.

Mike

Reactions: CSW
Additional stats from Star Wars night:
  • We started with 11 Rebel, 11 Empire
  • 6 members of the Empire used a rebuy (players are limited to 1 each)
  • 2 members of the Rebellion used their rebuy
  • Of the 16 Empire knockouts 10 were from Empire players, 6 by Rebels
  • Of the 13 Rebel knockouts, 6 were from Rebel teammates, 7 by the Empire
  • The eventual winner (a player from the Empire) eliminated 6 players (3 Rebel, 3 Empire)
I believe this is all within the realm of acceptable variance.

Additional stats from Star Wars night:
  • We started with 11 Rebel, 11 Empire
  • 6 members of the Empire used a rebuy (players are limited to 1 each)
  • 2 members of the Rebellion used their rebuy
  • Of the 16 Empire knockouts 10 were from Empire players, 6 by Rebels
  • Of the 13 Rebel knockouts, 6 were from Rebel teammates, 7 by the Empire
  • The eventual winner (a player from the Empire) eliminated 6 players (3 Rebel, 3 Empire)
I believe this is all within the realm of acceptable variance.
giphy.gif

Yeah, I realized after posting, that I had quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote @Racer96 And then @Poker Zombie responded thinking I was referring to his post and his response was so useful, I thought, "well, I'll just it go and not draw attention to my inability to click on the right button." But then you had to go and call me out! :)

This, here below, is the gameplay that makes me think collusion is incentivized. But maybe that's a feature and not a bug of this variation:
Yes, collusion is definitely possible, and is somewhat encouraged, but not EXPLICIT collusion. However, like in a tournament where one player is all in and the other players check it down, implicit collusion can happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom