101 Proof or Lower Recommendations (4 Viewers)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Most of my humble collection of bottles in barrel proof. I will like to add a few more lower proof bottles. Especially for a weekday pour.

I would like to keep them priced between $25.00 and $50.00's. If there is something out of this price range that is an absolute must, please post it.

A few that I will probably add are Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek Rye 100, and Elijah Craig.

Thanks!

B

Wild Turkey 101
Knob Creek Rye
Green River
Benchmark Single Barrel or Bonded
Heaven Hill Bonded
Buffalo Trace
Legent
Maker's Mark 46
Weller
Maker's Mark 101
Sazerac Rye

Last edited:
Green River.. should be 100 proof. And I hear it’s really good

I had a bottle of that. It is pretty good. Thanks for the reminder.

Are you looking for Bourbon/Rye only?

Bourbon, Rye, Scotch...........I like it all

I never thought I’d see a watered down DetroitDad. It’s a sad day for barrels of bourbon everywhere.

Twice now, the barrel proofs have caught up to me in the middle of the week. It wasn't pretty lol

Weirdo.

IMO Bulleit Rye is one of the best ryes. It's made by MGP for them and they make some of the best ryes.

1792 small batch and 1792 bottled in bond are two of my favorites in this range :tup:
+1 on 1792. Excellent value at it's price point.

Hard to imagine you don't already know about Woodford Reserve if we're discussing bourbons.

For Canadian whiskeys, take a look at JP Wiser. Their entry level is under $20 and I think their 18 year goes for a around $60. I've tried a few and they're very decent, especially for the price.

For scotches, JW Black is a staple of course - you might also take a look at Monkey Shoulder which is a decent blended scotch at $35 or so. I just tried a speyside single malt called Singleton - it was $40 at Meijer. It was alright - kind of reminded me of JW actually.

Here's my last, best suggestion - it's actually one of my personal faves and I've introduced it to a lot of people and no one's ever heard of it. It's an Irish whiskey called Knappogue Castle (pronounced Nah’ Pogue). Their 12 year goes for around $50. It's tough to find but your best bet would be specialty liquor stores or at Mega Bev if you have one in your area.

+1 on 1792. Excellent value at it's price point.

Hard to imagine you don't already know about Woodford Reserve if we're discussing bourbons.

For Canadian whiskeys, take a look at JP Wiser. Their entry level is under $20 and I think their 18 year goes for a around $60. I've tried a few and they're very decent, especially for the price.

For scotches, JW Black is a staple of course - you might also take a look at Monkey Shoulder which is a decent blended scotch at $35 or so. I just tried a speyside single malt called Singleton - it was $40 at Meijer. It was alright - kind of reminded me of JW actually.

Here's my last, best suggestion - it's actually one of my personal faves and I've introduced it to a lot of people and no one's ever heard of it. It's an Irish whiskey called Knappogue Castle (pronounced Nah’ Pogue). Their 12 year goes for around $50. It's tough to find but your best bet would be specialty liquor stores or at Mega Bev if you have one in your area.

Thanks. I have only had one Irish Whiskey that I have enjoyed. I think it was an older bottle of Redbreast that was brought to Davids meet up last year. If I see your recommendation. I will give it a try.

B

Would add:

Evan Williams single barrel (great flavor for 86.6 proof)
Evan Williams 1783 American Hero Edition (I think it's an annual release, I got one a few weeks ago for $17 on sale)

If you have a Costco membership they get Barton 1L bottles once a year or so:
Kirkland signature Small batch ($20)
Kirkland signature Bottled in bond ($26)

Woodford Reserve
A friend of a friend chef who helped do fancy meals for large events (Derby, Olympics, Super Bowls, etc.) once shared his preference that Woodford is the best-value, broadly available bourbon on the market. There are obviously better, more expensive, and more rare bourbons (the reverse of all 3 is also true) but I have come around to agree that Woodford is dead center in the sweet spot of price, quality, and availability.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom