101 Proof or Lower Recommendations (2 Viewers)

If you have a Costco membership they get Barton 1L bottles once a year or so:
Kirkland signature Small batch ($20)
Kirkland signature Bottled in bond ($26)
These are my go to for just a basic bourbon (my "well" bourbon so to speak) whenever people want something to mix with Coke or for old fashioneds, the only drawback is you never know when they'll be available and they typically disappear within a day or two.

If you asked me my favorite sub100-proof sub-$50 bottle i'd probably go with Woodford Double Oaked which are 47 here but it looks like they run closer to 60 in Michigan. Four Roses Small Batch, Small Batch Select and Single Barrel are also contenders (looks like those run about $10 more / bottle there but still in the 35-50$ range), they should all come in right at 100 proof or below. I'd also add another vote for Legent (although the new Legent label looks stupid compared to the original with just the symbol straight on the glass) and Heaven Hill 7 yr Bonded. I've gotten good feedback from serving both of those.

(on a side note this thread is giving me sticker shock looking at the total wine listings in Michigan. Do they just tax liquor through the roof?)

A friend of a friend chef who helped do fancy meals for large events (Derby, Olympics, Super Bowls, etc.) once shared his preference that Woodford is the best-value, broadly available bourbon on the market. There are obviously better, more expensive, and more rare bourbons (the reverse of all 3 is also true) but I have come around to agree that Woodford is dead center in the sweet spot of price, quality, and availability.

Woodford reserve double oaked is a favorite of mine. The price point in Michigan is $65 bucks. Not a fan of that price, for that bottle.

Woodford reserve double oaked is a favorite of mine. The price point in Michigan is $65 bucks. Not a fan of that price, for that bottle.
I found mine for 45.99 at Costco in DC.
It actually cost me $245.99 since I got a speeding camera ticket for going 37 in a 25 for $200. FU DC !!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom