Are these the classic Paulson top hat and cane chips? (2 Viewers)

sealavie

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hello all, I have had this set of chips for 15 or 20 years and just considering what it might be worth. I have 600 chips and I believe they are the classic top hat and cane mould. However, hoping to get confirmation or find out otherwise from the experts here. Also curious what they might be worth as a set of 600. Thanks!
1000012103.jpg
1000012104.jpg
1000012106.jpg

We refer to these as RHC (reverse hat and cane).

I'd guess their value is <$1 per chip.

We refer to these as RHC (reverse hat and cane).

I'd guess their value is <$1 per chip.
Some of them have the hat and cane in the other direction. I haven't double-checked but it might just be one side of the chip versus the other. I just posted a red chip photo that shows this.

Hello all, I have had this set of chips for 15 or 20 years and just considering what it might be worth. I have 600 chips and I believe they are the classic top hat and cane mould. However, hoping to get confirmation or find out otherwise from the experts here. Also curious what they might be worth as a set of 600. Thanks!View attachment 1359775View attachment 1359776View attachment 1359777
1000012105.jpg

This one has the hat and cane in the other orientation versus the green chip.

I'm interested also, are these already dibs'd? Is there a price?
No price because I'm not really sure how much to ask. I figured I could throw them on eBay and let the auction run its course, but I also think I could list them here, and I have a friend who is interested although I think he will have sticker shock.
edit-grammar

Some of them have the hat and cane in the other direction. I haven't double-checked but it might just be one side of the chip versus the other. I just posted a red chip photo that shows this.

View attachment 1359791

This one has the hat and cane in the other orientation versus the green chip.

No price because I'm not really sure how much to ask. I figured I could throw them on eBay and let the auction run its course, but I also think I could list them here, and I have a friend who is interested although I think he will have sticker shock.
edit-grammar
There is an auction option here on the forum. Set a base price, take some photos, follow the auction template, and let the rest run its course. No eBay fees, and there's a very wide variety of payment platforms available.

I'm not sure of their value personally or id let you know.

There is auction on this forum as well and avoids eBay fees.

Let me know once you come up with a price.

Some of them have the hat and cane in the other direction.
That’s why the mold is called reverse hat and cane - the direction of the canes alternates.

I just noticed that the yellow chip with the brunette is actually done on the THC mold. I don’t remember ever seeing these chips on that mold. If you’re selling, it would be helpful to know how many chips are on that mold. Can you see the difference?
The easiest way to tell is that on the RHCs, the picture inlay only covers half of the hard and canes, because the hats and canes are closer to the edge of the chip. On the THCs, the hats in canes are set in a little closer toward the center of the chip.

I wouldn’t guess a price - these don’t sell that often or very well.

I know you guys all have your own motivations here LOL but what I'm really after is, if I tell my friend $2,000 for this chipset am I being an idiot selling too cheap or is it way too expensive?

I mean if you guys tell me I'm an idiot and I need to put it on the form auction and can get a lot more, then that's probably what I'll do. I just want to tell him a fair price and not cut myself short.

I know you guys all have your own motivations here LOL but what I'm really after is, if I tell my friend $2,000 for this chipset am I being an idiot selling too cheap or is it way too expensive?

I mean if you guys tell me I'm an idiot and I need to put it on the form auction and can get a lot more, then that's probably what I'll do. I just want to tell him a fair price and not cut myself short.
Again, since they don’t sell very often (and even less often in a set this big) it’s hard to say. Chips are a lot like real estate - the easiest way to pinpoint their value is comp sales. I think the earlier guess of a buck a chip is probably a lot closer to their actual value than $3.33. $2,000 for that set seems very high in today’s market, and I’d suggest you take it, if you have a buyer.

Personally I’d love to know how many of each color are on the THC mold, and I’d also like to know weights, because if the THCs are made from leaded clay, that would increase their value. But I’m not buyer at any price.

Personally, I'd probably say $1200 for the set to a "friend" that's $2 per chip

Might get $3 per chip here, but I'm fairly certain those are non denominated so they're really just nostalgia idk how "playable" they are.
As you can see there are some folks here who are interested and would probably be more likely to pay a higher price than your friend, but that's going to be a small fraction of the buying market

So “friend” here mean friend or “friend” ?

IMG_7217.gif

Personally I’d love to know how many of each color are on the THC mold, and I’d also like to know weights, because if the THCs are made from leaded clay, that would increase their value. But I’m not buyer at any price.
I will take a closer look and try to get a handle on this. Right now I don't know if they are batched by graphic or just color or if they're even mixed within the colors or what.

Welcome!​

I have a friend who has a low stakes home game he plays hosts regular and he's real interested in the set but I haven't told him how much I want for it yet.

@sealavie - We like to think of our selves as one big family, a lot of us get together and play poker, and enjoy our chips as a collective. We have a few bad apples and people try to take advantage on occasion but by and large, this is a great place to hang out.

I would ask that you don't really use eBay, take a look but those prices are all over the place and can be very scam-y, imagine the wild west but with 3 y/os pack'n Chinese AKs

I would ask that you invite your friend to join us. This would help the community as that guy is willing to pay a premium without knowing he is a chipper. You tell a normal person $2 per chip and they don't bat an eye, that's not normal and they need to come home!

Contra:
Harder to find in quantity (not impossible)
Harder to add on to because of age / availability
Green and yellow could have dirty stack issue
non denominated chip

Neutral:
Novelty image
Oversized Label
Solids - no inserts aka side spots
RHC - type of chip

Pro:
Clay
In good shape
Playable quantity
Harder to find (more security in that ppl won't run chips in)

If you are selling them to your friend $1k is fair imo. Can you get more? maybe. Once you've been here and posted a few times you'll get access to the Classifieds and be able to post the for sale or auction.

I hope you stick around and I hope you bring your friend to the party! ;)

Surprised to see those too were THCs. Are a lot of the “ladies” chips THCs? I guess I haven’t paid much attention.
They had various iterations of them. Plain, spotted, THC, RHC, all with the same six “ladies” though.

I’d guess $1.25 - $1.75 per if sold as a full set, and $3 - $4 per if you’re willing to break them down to sample sets.
I have a hundred or so that didn't make it into the nice neat set of 600. I will probably sell those as smaller or sample sets, something like that which I have seen in the classified here.

Surprised to see those too were THCs. Are a lot of the “ladies” chips THCs? I guess I haven’t paid much attention.
Actually, this is the first set that I recall containing chips that were not THC. But I personally pay little attention to most Paulson novelty sets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom