Best way to handle food costs (1 Viewer)

Get a hot dog roller. After that initial cost you can supply (cheap) hot dogs and buns for $10 or good hot dogs and buns for $20. I get a big box of the single serve variety pack of chips from Costco and call it a day. Since my game starts at 7:30pm pretty much everyone has had dinner by the time they arrive. Hotdogs and chips are snacks and not a real meal.
You mean... you actually have a hot dog roller running during the game and people help themselves? Do others do this? Does it make your card room smell like a carnival?

Dude that's fucking hilarious. All this time I thought all the 'hot dog roller' remarks were just a running inside joke amongst veteran PCFers.

I'm starting hosting some home games and I wonder what do you guys think is the best way to handle food costs?
In tournaments, we pull a small house fee from each entry to cover consumable costs, which include food, snacks, adult beverages, and soft drinks as well as equipment replacements and upgrades.

Same with cash games... we pull a small house fee from each decent sized pot for the same purposes. It's the most equitable way to do things, and no one complains.

You mean... you actually have a hot dog roller running during the game and people help themselves? Do others do this? Does it make your card room smell like a carnival?

Dude that's fucking hilarious. All this time I thought all the 'hot dog roller' remarks were just a running inside joke amongst veteran PCFers.
If it is a joke, then I fell for it…and I love my hot dog roller. My neighborhood loves it too. I’m always bringing to other parties.

If it is a joke, then I fell for it…and I love my hot dog roller. My neighborhood loves it too. I’m always bringing to other parties.
It always sounded like a decent idea - this begs so many questions though. How long do the hotdogs stay edible on there? I've always avoided gas station hot dogs because I have no idea how long they've been on the warmer.

What if they don't all get eaten? Do you just throw them away? Can you use it for brats and other sausage type foods too? Are they easy to clean? Is there any smell issues? Hot dogs don't always smell the best.

It always sounded like a decent idea - this begs so many questions though. How long do the hotdogs stay edible on there? I've always avoided gas station hot dogs because I have no idea how long they've been on the warmer.

What if they don't all get eaten? Do you just throw them away? Can you use it for brats and other sausage type foods too? Are they easy to clean? Is there any smell issues? Hot dogs don't always smell the best.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/hot-dog-roller-pron.26761/

You can lower the temp to keep them warm…no (bad) smell…super easy to clean (deglaze with a wet rag). Brats are ok but they can curl up and not turn properly. I’ve done corn dogs (excellent crunch), egg rolls, taquitos, and such.

I’ve adopted the Chick-fil-A method

I do BBQ often and a side and deserts budget is 200 but I try to stay around 150.

I do have players that donate or bring too many gourmet donuts..

When I lose 4 or 500 I just say…

‘It’s my pleasure’

What if they don't all get eaten?
Me at 3:00 AM after everybody’s left. So happy!

IMG_9946.gif

I start with 10 or so, then add more as needed later in the night.
You can throw the leftovers away or make a hot dog omlet for breakfast the next day:LOL: :laugh:

I order food that can be eaten standing (no sauce, no knife required) so one hand holding the dish and the other holding the fork.
Upon cash-out, I buy the food of losers, as the host. Only winners pay for their individual share. Solved.

When it comes to drinks, I provide a couple of whisky bottles and rivers of diet ("zero") coke.
People who want something exotic either in quantity (i.e. one bottle of whisky per person) or in kind (gin, tonic, tequila, ice tea, fresh milk) have to bring it themselves.

Edit: All the above happens because I host regularly. Otherwise, I would pay for absolutely everything in my house, as is the norm in Greece.

I do have a list of banned snacks while playing poker such as no cheetos or other messy snacks.
This man gets it! I once had a player bring a shrimp cocktail platter and I almost kicked him in the dick, because he should know better…. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: @Stebo0792

Also, how in the absolute fuck does @Moxie Mike not have a hot dog roller??? You’re not new here my man. :wtf:

I brought them for your wife and daughters to snack on while we played cards silly….
I think I win…raw oysters and shrimp. Although, I would not dare cross the driveway/garage threshold…poker is better without beatings.

Btw…might have to be in Phenix City for work soon.

Weeknight cash game?

When I started hosting I would make Chile con Queso and put out some chip bowls. Every so often some would bring wings or pot luck style dishes but that didn’t last long. I still make the cheese and put out whatever chips and snacks I might have on hand.

It’s always been BYOB but I too would buy a 18 or 24 pk of whatever I wanted to drink to share with the rest.

We recently started doing a pizza delivery mid game. Where either I or another would purchase and then collect from the other players their share through cash or any other money exchange apps (cash app,Venmo,Apple Pay). We’ve done this the last few times and it’s worked out great.

Plus side with hosting and byob is majority of the time you’ll end up with excess beer since everyone typically brings a little more than what they drink for the night.

Why would we have hot dog rollers and not use them?

Why would we have hot dog rollers and not use them?
I seriously thought it was just some type of dorky inside joke like all the 'tree fiddy' remarks I see all the time.

But I asked around and about 10 Moxie Poker Constituents were immediately excited by the idea... and @GrindstonePoker chimed in encouraging me to get one.

I seriously thought it was just some type of dorky inside joke like all the 'tree fiddy' remarks I see all the time.

But I asked around and about 10 Moxie Poker Constituents were immediately excited by the idea... and @GrindstonePoker chimed in encouraging me to get one.
There is nothing better than a hog dog roller at a poker game...... except maybe topless dealers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom