Tourney Bounty Tournament Newbie (2 Viewers)

emunster18

High Hand
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently got back into hosting home games and alternate between cash games and tournaments once a month. I've heard a lot about mystery Bounty Tournaments and think that running one would add a level of fun & engagement.

My tournaments are usually 2 tables with 12-16 total players @ $50 buy in. We allow re-buys, but rarely get them. Here's my thoughts on a mystery Bounty.

$50 buy-in ($40 main, $10 bounty)
Mystery Bounties ($160 @ 16 players)
1 x $50
2 x $25
6 x $10
6 x $5-$10 Scratch off tickets*

*I would be donating the scratch off tickets, $30-$60 worth. Players typically tip for beer/snacks, so I am happy to cover this to add to the Bounty.

The main pool would be split between the top 4 - 5, so I like the idea of some of the other players to get something.

Let me know your thoughts on the scratch off tickets. I like the idea of another gamble, but not everyone likes them...

Sounds like a lot to keep track of. I prefer just a straight $10 bounty per player knocked out. You could add a few mystery bounties for the scratch offs, but beyond that becomes too much in my opinion.

I don’t care for bounty tournaments and I think mystery bounties are worse, so grain of salt here. But your crew might like it so why not give it a shot?
I host too - I know we put a lot of money into our games. But I’d recommend that you don’t set a precedent of going into your pocket on this one. Because if everybody likes it, you’ll inevitably have to change it next time (unless you want to keep subsidizing the bounties, which I think is a terrible idea.)
I’ve watched how they run these at the WSOP and the like. They don’t even hand out bounty chips until day 2, so if you knock somebody out day one, you’re out of luck. But that is where they get the money for all the mystery bonuses paid out on day 2. If you want to give everybody a bounty chip from the start, I’d try something like:

10 x $5 lottery ticket
4 x $10
1 x $20
1 x $50

I was just in a similar thread a few days ago. What you have looks ok, though you only listed 15 bounties (which is ok if you didn't want 1st to win their own bounty). Another way to increase the gamble in by switching to $30+20 instead of $40+10, if that's something you'd want to consider.

For a $40+10, I would think:
1x $50
1x $20
?x $10 (One for each player beyond the first 12).
10x $5 (Maybe with a $1-2 ticket added if you still wanted them in the mix).

Regardless of what you go for, let me know what you do and how it goes since the mystery bounties seem interesting to me.

I was just in a similar thread a few days ago. What you have looks ok, though you only listed 15 bounties (which is ok if you didn't want 1st to win their own bounty). Another way to increase the gamble in by switching to $30+20 instead of $40+10, if that's something you'd want to consider.

For a $40+10, I would think:
1x $50
1x $20
?x $10 (One for each player beyond the first 12).
10x $5 (Maybe with a $1-2 ticket added if you still wanted them in the mix).

Regardless of what you go for, let me know what you do and how it goes since the mystery bounties seem interesting to me.
I'll keep everyone in the loop. This game isn't happening until August, so it will be a few weeks.

For the actual administration of the bounties, I was thinking of having different colored chips, from a separate set, in a grab bag. Whatever color they pull, they get the appropriate bounty.

As for the 15, does the winner usually win their bounty back? I am new to running these, but assumed that the winner took down the main pool and should not also get a bounty on top.

I don’t care for bounty tournaments and I think mystery bounties are worse, so grain of salt here. But your crew might like it so why not give it a shot?
I host too - I know we put a lot of money into our games. But I’d recommend that you don’t set a precedent of going into your pocket on this one. Because if everybody likes it, you’ll inevitably have to change it next time (unless you want to keep subsidizing the bounties, which I think is a terrible idea.)
I’ve watched how they run these at the WSOP and the like. They don’t even hand out bounty chips until day 2, so if you knock somebody out day one, you’re out of luck. But that is where they get the money for all the mystery bonuses paid out on day 2. If you want to give everybody a bounty chip from the start, I’d try something like:

10 x $5 lottery ticket
4 x $10
1 x $20
1 x $50
The WSOP version is where I learned about mystery bounties. I understand how they run theirs, with bounties only starting on day 2. However, with a game as small as mine, I'm trying to have the bounties be fun for everyone. Even to the point of potentially having a booby prize for the first person who gets knocked out.

I'll keep everyone in the loop. This game isn't happening until August, so it will be a few weeks.

For the actual administration of the bounties, I was thinking of having different colored chips, from a separate set, in a grab bag. Whatever color they pull, they get the appropriate bounty.

As for the 15, does the winner usually win their bounty back? I am new to running these, but assumed that the winner took down the main pool and should not also get a bounty on top.
The chips would work fine for randomizing bounties.

Standard bounty and PKO tournaments give the winners their own bounties, so I assume mystery bounties wouldn't be an exception (I know the EPT gives the winner their own mystery bounty as well).

I would like to say I'm not a professional, so my advice on what bounties to do is based on trying to balance having large enough prizes to make them worth going for once the big one is gone, while small enough to allow more bigger bounties to be in play.

with a game as small as mine, I'm trying to have the bounties be fun for everyone. Even to the point of potentially having a booby prize for the first person who gets knocked out.
For this reason, you should supply a total of two bounties per person.

Every time a player gets knocked out, both the buster and the bustee gets a bounty envelope.

Minimal investment with a great return on morale.

@emunster18 Did you end up playing this yet? If so, how did it go?
Played this last week. Here are my notes:

1. People liked the bounties and the $5 scratchers were a hit. Had 12 players and did 3x$25, 4x$10, 5x$5 ticket.

2. Felt like there were too many small denominations on the table. Coloring up wasn't difficult, but the tall stacks of T5 looked and felt kinda funny.

3. Blinds were a little wonky too. I'll be retooling those to a better pace.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom