Classified Etiquette - Offers below posted price (1 Viewer)

FrankBlack

Pair
Reaction score
I'm interested to know how PCF members feel about making or receiving offers below the posted price on chips for sale. I've seen many postings where prices are incrementally dropped, or repeatedly bumped. In others, there is aggressive dibs competition at the asking price. How acceptable is it in this community to make an offer through PM on chips that appear to be overpriced or simply not getting market attention?

A lot of pricing is fairly subjective. Especially when selling chips that don’t have comparable sales recently. Personally I post a price as a starting point but am open to offers. I’ve said no to some offers, but yes to others. Usually I consider lower offers if:

1) the buyer is buying a lot of chips off me
2) the chips haven’t had much interest
3) it’s someone I’ve dealt with in the past and feel like they’ve given me good deals
4) a new chipper who might just not be able to afford super expensive chips yet (and I encourage them to pay it forward)

But in a nutshell, I don’t mind offers at all providing they’re not insulting (like lower than 25% of asking)

It can be difficult to tell what is an insultingly low offer for any particular individual unless you've already developed some rapport. When I have a post up for a spell that isn't attracting attention, I become more open to the lowball type offer and can choose to counteroffer.

It can be difficult to tell what is an insultingly low offer for any particular individual unless you've already developed some rapport. When I have a post up for a spell that isn't attracting attention, I become more open to the lowball type offer and can choose to counteroffer.
In that case you can also make it clear by editing the original post and saying “I’m open to all offers” or something similar. And I agree, “insulting low” is definitely subjective

I agree with all of the above however, if the price is already fair and the item is desired by many, in the time it takes you to pm the seller on the side, someone can claim dibs in the post. It may not matter if you weren't going to pay the asking price anyway, but beware an item can be snatched from under your feet.

I agree with all of the above however, if the price is already fair and the item is desired by many, in the time it takes you to pm the seller on the side, someone can claim dibs in the post. It may not matter if you weren't going to pay the asking price anyway, but beware an item can be snatched from under your feet.
I did something similar the other day on eBay. The item had a very good price AND had a “make an offer” option as well. I decided to buy at full price, which was good because I knew the item wouldn’t last long enough to get an answer. In fact, when I bought it, the notice said it was already in someone else’s cart.

There’s nothing wrong for making an offer, but I’d hope you’d have a reason for it. People who just try to knock 10% off of everything, just because - that kind of annoys me. Or free shipping - FO, I paid shipping; you can too! But since I’m usually selling chips for exactly what I paid (or less) I might be coming at it from a different angle than some people.

As I buyer I don’t tend to negotiate because there’s not a lot I want (that I’m actually going to buy.). So when I see something I actually want, I’m usually just grabbing it quickly. There have been times where I’ve made made offers of like 50%, but I’ll usually do so with an explanation and low expectations.

Great question, Frank, and welcome to the Forum!

Speaking for myself here, but if I see any chip that I’m looking for, which tend to be on the rarer side, I will try to snap buy them or “dibs.”

However, if it’s a set that would be great to add to my collection, but not necessarily needed, then I might send a pm with 10-20% off asking price. A lot of chips are used on PCF so (respectful) bartering is totally normal and acceptable.

Just don't fuck with Ken Pricing.
It's like carved on stone tablets.
IMG_6534.jpeg

$1000/Rack. 99 are mint.

I welcome all offers when selling, at the same time I am somewhat reluctant to send offers, but I have in the past. If both sides keep it respectful when declining, there shouldn't be a problem.

The market is forever changing, and not every seller, or buyer can adjust at the same pace. It's a buyers market today compared to the COVID, and pre-Tiger world.

Having been on both sides of this, I think offers below ask are generally well received.

I would just propose these two guidelines.

1) Always offer via PM, never in the open thread.
2) I wouldn't offer under ask if it's a newer post or a recent price drop.

I figure the shorter something has sat at a given price, the less receptive they will be to a lower offer.

For stuff that doesn't sell it makes sense to ask for a discount. Up to the seller if they are in a hurry and want them sold a bit cheaper, or if they wanna wait it out and will only sell at their listed price. Regardless feel free to PM any offer or whatever you want.

IMHO etiquette counts. A LOT.

If the ad specifically says "firm" or "not accepting offers" - then don't. But otherwise, there's nothing wrong with making an offer via PM, as long as you do it politely and keep it simple. If you come stating their price is just way too high, not in-line with recent sales, etc etc etc, (even if what you're saying is true), don't be surprised if you get a curt response back (or none at all). A simple "I saw your WTS ad for X chips, I'm interested and if you're considering offers, I'd offer "$X" shipped for the set, thanks!" 9 times out of 10, you'll either get:
  • "SOLD! My PP is XYZ, please send me your address...."
  • "Thanks but I'm not accepting offers at this time"
  • "Thanks but at that price I'd prefer to just keep the set"
  • "Would you consider $X price instead?" ....sometimes accompanied by a link to a recent price reference, and then some good faith negotiations can begin.
Any other kind of response -noting that etiquette should go both ways - you're now in a perfect spot to react and just cordially shut things down....
  • S: "WTF that's a low ball offer!!"
  • B: "No offense intended, best of luck with your sale"
  • S: "Sorry but I paid $XXX! I can't lose money on these!!!" (having overpaid by 50% for any number of reasons)
  • B: "OK, best of luck with your sale"
  • S: "Here's a link to WTS ad from 4 years ago when the chips were crazy hot and an impatient whale came in bought them for 3X the rate from 10 other ads in the same time frame!!!"
  • B: "I appreciate the link, but I'm not interested at that price, good luck with your sale"
I've had several lolzer type of interactions where I made an offer, got a response like something above stating I had no idea what I was talking about, and then got a PM a few weeks later with "OK I've had a change of heart, I'll accept your offer". Yeah...... no sorry not interested anymore lol.

And as others have stated, timing comes in to play a bit here as well. Unless a WTS ad specifically includes a price with "or best offer", I personally wouldn't make an offer for at least a few days, more like a week or two. If it's been sitting around with little interest or has been reduced a few times, the seller will be much more likely to hear you out vs pinging them an hour after they post.

I've made offers on chips that I felt were overpriced. I've also rejected and accepted offers that were lower than my selling price.

I think the important things are to be cordial about the whole deal and do so with the intent to pay/get what the chips are worth instead of just trying to haggle a better deal. I'm not trying to take advantage of someone, but sometimes chips are listed much higher than what they should be and can be corrected with a PM.

I don't see any issue with making a lower offer on an old, stagnant ad. As mentioned above, respectful communication is key. I can't control how the message is received.

hang around here long enough, and you get a feel for what’s going to move quick, at what price. usually, the sellers know this too and price things accordingly… either for a quick sale or sometimes they list an inflated price, either trying to recoup or profit, but they know it’s not going to move fast …

If a sale has been listed for multiple days, going on a week with no sale, thats negotiation time :)

Just remember to always do this in PMs, try to look back at previous sales for the same chips in the same condition, get a good feel for what a respectable offer is…

I don’t like to hang around with sales up, I get everything on the table and after a few weeks I want the chips gone. That’s just me, I am not the type to wait for a unicorn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom