Confused with the new meaning of donk bet (4 Viewers)

1A25R

Flush
Reaction score
Hi
Let me know what's your take on this situation

Bouton : 80k
Me (sb) : 60k

Blinds 500 / 1000

Action fold to button who raises to 3k
Me in SB call the 3k with 9s 9c
BB folds

Board 7c - 4s - 2c

I open 3k

Bouton folds Ah Kd face up and gives me a rant about my donk bet and that I should continue betting like this as at some point I will be punished..

I thought to myself : WTF?

As I saw the guy playing, if he had a pair he would have bet 5k at least preflop as he did many times on previous hands.
Flop was dry and strongly belive that it was safe for me as the flop was not in the range of that guy.
So I'm still confused and I do not know which new range-chart-super-sysyem trend I just ignored..

Knowing that telling someone that he made a donk bet on my days may ended with a bleeding nose..

So what was wrong on my bet?

Deep breaths! Donk bet just means he was the aggressor preflop, and you bet into him on the flop instead of checking to him, then calling/raising. Its not inherently bad but checking is a good option, giving him less information to work with.

Deep breaths! Donk bet just means he was the aggressor preflop, and you bet into him on the flop instead of checking to him, then calling/raising. Its not inherently bad but checking is a good option, giving him less information to work with.
This. But to be clear (although implied), you are the out of position player and aggressor is in position.

Just make note of it and use donk bets to tilt that opponent in the future.
This! Lol. In all honesty, he may have bet bigger and with an overpair, you can call or raise to get more money in the pot, a check would probably be more profitable.

But if he's whining about opponent's plays at the table, I wouldn't worry too much lol.

Yeah, what you did is donking. Which is betting from out of position into the previous street aggressor who is in position.

This flop is pretty neutral for both of you given the positions. You both can have all the sets (though in theory, in a tournament, the SB would probably fold 22-55 sometimes), but the button can have all the over pairs, while you can't have JJ-AA given you didn't 3 bet. So he has a small advantage on you there. This would lead me to want to just check this flop from the SB.

Now if you were in the BB, and could have all the sets, the combo draws, pair plus gutter, and possibly 74s... Then donking with those as well as stuff like A2, 85s, 86s would be more appropriate as you just naturally have more hands that interact here than the button.

Bouton folds Ah Kd face up and gives me a rant about my donk bet and that I should continue betting like this as at some point I will be punished..
The appropriate response would be to say "could you please not tell me how to play while I'm counting the chips that I just won from you..."

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom