Digital Camera - Need some help (2 Viewers)

krafticus

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
My middle son is really getting into photography, so hopefully there are some folks that can assist.

He is asking for a Sony Alpha 6600 camera. The camera, with a 2 lens package is running around $1600. I see a package on Amazon for an Alpha 6400 with a ton of extras for about $1000.

a) Is there that big of a difference between these cameras?
b) is there a comparable camera that might offer more for less $$
c) any tips or pointers for someone just getting into the hobby.

He's all a car enthusiast, and goes to a lot of shows and meetups, and loves taking pics/video of the cars.

Right now, he's using our old Canon T3 (it's about 10 years old), so I understand the "need" for a more modern camera.

Any thoughts/ideas?

@justsomedude @JeepologyOffroad .. others?

Major reasons for the price difference:

1) a6600 has in-body image stabilization
2) a6600 has a much larger battery capacity

(1) makes a huge difference, especially with video; (2) is more of a convenience thing (less switching of batteries, etc).

Since he is already using a starter camera and wants to get more serious I'd get the a6600 (assuming you are ok budget wise).

Others can also comment.

Just some more thoughts for perspective -- when I was going through this same decision making process I decided to upgrade from a DSLR setup (which is what the T3 is) to a mirrorless IBIS setup (which is what the a6600 is) for the following reasons:

1) IBIS -- much better video performance, also instantly upgrades any vintage lens with image stabilization
2) Mirrorless technology eliminates the need to calibrate lenses. Not an issue now but in time he will appreciate this
3) Sensor tech -- more megapixels isnt as important (anything 20+ is just fine); rather its the low light performance that has made a major leap over the past 10 yrs.

There are plenty of choices out there (Sony, Canon, etc) which are similar in features, so it really depends on the system (lenses, etc) he wants to get into. Sony is a good one, so no issues with the a6600.

feel free to PM me if you have more detailed questions.

Just some more thoughts for perspective -- when I was going through this same decision making process I decided to upgrade from a DSLR setup (which is what the T3 is) to a mirrorless IBIS setup (which is what the a6600 is) for the following reasons:

1) IBIS -- much better video performance, also instantly upgrades any vintage lens with image stabilization
2) Mirrorless technology eliminates the need to calibrate lenses. Not an issue now but in time he will appreciate this
3) Sensor tech -- more megapixels isnt as important (anything 20+ is just fine); rather its the low light performance that has made a major leap over the past 10 yrs.

There are plenty of choices out there (Sony, Canon, etc) which are similar in features, so it really depends on the system (lenses, etc) he wants to get into. Sony is a good one, so no issues with the a6600.

feel free to PM me if you have more detailed questions.
I assume the lenses from the old canon will not work on the Sony, correct?
When I emailed him about getting the 6400, he pretty much said everything you did, so it looks like he's done his research. If only he put that much effort into his school work....

Thanks

haha I have the same problem with my kids. Yes he can mount any vintage canon lens (EF, EF-S, FD) onto the Sony body. Will need to get an adapter, but those are cheap.

If the main plan is to use the camera for photos IBIS won't do much if anything for you. Sony also has quite a few lenses with stabilization built into the lens (OSS) which to my understanding works about as well as the built in IBIS.

For photos, these should be basically identical with subtle changes like the battery size. But image quality shouldn't be effected.

IBIS is nice for some stuff, but doesn't work for other stuff like trying to do a sweeping move or something. If he's serious about video there are always gimbals for a reasonable price now that'll do a much better job than IBIS as well. But for holding the camera still, the IBIS will take out the jitters, especially in longer lenses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom