Good morning from the sunny UK! (1 Viewer)

BaxtersBluff

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm Steve from the UK enjoying a rare bit of sunshine.

Hobbies include tenpin bowling, shooting and now, chipping.

I'm almost exactly 3 months in and I currently have a modest 300 Tiki Kings set (managed to swallow my discomfort and just pay the shipping and customs charges to enjoy those beautiful chips), am planning to get a tournament set of Skyline Ceramics in addition to a smaller, cheaper set of as yet undecided chips to teach my nieces and nephew how to play Blackjack. Oh, and have also started the process of designing my own fully custom set as all those Tina sets look too darn good.

How many sets do I need? Yes.

Do I even play poker? Shut up.

(It should probably go without saying that I hate all of you - I mean you've taken a niche interest and turned it into an interesting, dare I say exciting but most importantly accessible hobby - who does that?!)

Don't talk about the sunshine, you'll jinx it!

Your plan sounds similar to the one I had a couple of years ago - IMHO at over £1 per chip I'd skip the Skyline ceramics and get your Tina order in, then divert the Skyline funds to (multiple) clay sets further down the track.

Don't talk about the sunshine, you'll jinx it!

Your plan sounds similar to the one I had a couple of years ago - IMHO at over £1 per chip I'd skip the Skyline ceramics and get your Tina order in, then divert the Skyline funds to (multiple) clay sets further down the track.
Dare I ask how many sets you're now up to?

Skylines are about 54p/chip, so although yes they will be expensive by the time shipping is added, they still won't hit what I ended up paying for the Tikis. I've got a small stack of the 25s as samples and I'm itching to pull the trigger....

Plans change of course so we'll just have to see!

Welcome from sunny Brighton

CDtkViX.png

Dare I ask how many sets you're now up to?

Skylines are about 54p/chip, so although yes they will be expensive by the time shipping is added, they still won't hit what I ended up paying for the Tikis. I've got a small stack of the 25s as samples and I'm itching to pull the trigger....

Plans change of course so we'll just have to see!
Three 90%+ finished sets, two major long-term projects, half a dozen pipe dreams and my Drawer of Shame full of impulse purchases, officially abandoned projects and early days non-clay purchases.

I saw Poker Merchant selling 300 Skyline chips for around £250, plus another £35 shipping, plus whatever customs fees you'll get hit with (potentially another 30% all in). Even at 54p/chip I'd question the value vs. Tina or an entry-level RHC set (I say as I look at the china clays in my drawer of shame), but I also get the need to GET CHIPS NOW

Three 90%+ finished sets, two major long-term projects, half a dozen pipe dreams and my Drawer of Shame full of impulse purchases, officially abandoned projects and early days non-clay purchases.

I saw Poker Merchant selling 300 Skyline chips for around £250, plus another £35 shipping, plus whatever customs fees you'll get hit with (potentially another 30% all in). Even at 54p/chip I'd question the value vs. Tina or an entry-level RHC set (I say as I look at the china clays in my drawer of shame), but I also get the need to GET CHIPS NOW
I was looking at Poker Shop as you can buy individual chips - basically if I limit myself to 200 per individual order I will stay below the £135 customs level, and I absolutely am petty enough to submit multiple orders at below that threshold to save a few £££.

However, you do raise an interesting point. Btw is RHC also a Tina mold?

I've been having a brose through the forum and the consensus seems to be that, as good as the cards mold is, the newer greek and web molds are much nicer (I think only the greek mold is 'public'). Looks like I need to follow the golden rule and get myself some samples...

Welcome! True RHC is a Paulson clay mold, but Tina does have a ceramic copycat chip. Web and Greek are both public molds as is the plain no mold hybrid as well and the plain no mold full face print ceramic from Tina, and of course the cards mold which got things started with Tina.

Have a good time, you’re on the way!

Yeah, web mold is my favourite of the Tina options both for feel and the look of the mold, but definitely worth getting a shuffle stack of everything you’re considering as opinions vary.

RHC is proper Paulson clay, IMO inferior to THC for feel and durability (the Reverse Hat and Cane indentations are too close to the edge so they’re more prone to significant flea bites). But can be half the cost of comparable THCs so it’s all a trade off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom