Howdy from Astoria, Queens (2 Viewers)

Those are all newish Tina chips.

No mold/faux mold (the mold is printed on the chip) for that Pioneer. Its a tribute chip.

Those are all newish Tina chips.

No mold/faux mold (the mold is printed on the chip) for that Pioneer. Its a tribute chip.
As I’ve been doing more digging, I think I need to touch a bunch of chips, but from one of the “start here” posts, vintage clays could be in the .25 to .50 / per chip range I was originally hoping for.

But how could I tell online either by a name or keywords, or from a pic, if something is vintage vs a tribute in a different material ?

But how could I tell online either by a name or keywords, or from a pic, if something is vintage vs a tribute in a different material ?
Some tributes (like Dunes) have subtle changes to the inlay. But Tina copies don't worry about trademarks and often try to be precise replicas, visually.

Vintage is almost certainly going to be clay.

Also, price. Vintage clay is much more expensive than China knockoffs.

Ask questions.

Last edited:
Now, I begin my quest for actually nice chips, without spending a month’s rent on them.
How do you feel about… 2 months rent?

Welcome to PCF, I’m over in Williamsburg (was in Astoria all weekend looking at apartments actually, including one not far from that Costco!).

If you are ever available on Wednesday nights, hit me or @moechar up and we can bring a few samples for you to see at our weekly $40 rebuy tournament - only thing is we play in Brooklyn so it might be a little annoying.

Some tributes (like Dunes) have subtle changes to the inlay. But Tina copies don't worry about trademarks and often try to be precise replicas, visually.

Vintage is almost certainly going to be clay.

Also, price. Vintage clay is much more expensive than China knockoffs.

Ask questions.
Ah that is good to know - really appreciate the advice. I feel like a small child wandering in to a movie theater asking lots of questions…. ;)

How do you feel about… 2 months rent?

Welcome to PCF, I’m over in Williamsburg (was in Astoria all weekend looking at apartments actually, including one not far from that Costco!).

If you are ever available on Wednesday nights, hit me or @moechar up and we can bring a few samples for you to see at our weekly $40 rebuy tournament - only thing is we play in Brooklyn so it might be a little annoying.
Dope!

I’m slammed with a show till mid September but I’ll definitely take you up on it when that’s done. I don’t mind traveling.

My wife and I love Astoria - we both moved here straight out of college and have stayed - it’s definitely not as affordable as it once was, but the bars and restaurants just keep getting better and better, year after year

And before she switched to WFH, she used to take the ferry that leaves from right near there to Wall St. every day, definitely the nicest commute

I just got my hands on my first set of chips that are not dice chips

CPC Rounders DSQ and Scroll molds - I am blown away by how different the feel and sound is of the two molds

yo! i live by astoria park haha. as far as multiple type of poker chips, I mean I have multiple types lol. I don't think there's a meet space for it though necessarily.

when the hell did i say that LOL.
Sorry Vic...I confused you with NopalCoastal.

I just got my hands on my first set of chips that are not dice chips

CPC Rounders DSQ and Scroll molds - I am blown away by how different the feel and sound is of the two molds
Isn't that cool? Sound difference surprised me. Some people like the scroll but I strongly preferred the DSQ samples. I don't own my own CPC set but have been very impressed by samples.

Isn't that cool? Sound difference surprised me. Some people like the scroll but I strongly preferred the DSQ samples. I don't own my own CPC set but have been very impressed by samples.
Same on the DSQ.

lol - I'm super new, so I just thought "oh, these are nice. I know they're supposed to be more expensive than other ones but maybe I should take the plunge" then I looked at the price and fell out of my chair.

Probably wouldn't be so bad if I didn't also suck at poker. I really enjoy it, but I am essentially paying my friends for poker lessons every time we play ;)

My friends and I have tried to get a regular game going off and on for years now, but I think we’ve finally gotten it in gear.

We’ve all got crappy WSOP or WPT or ESPN plastic chips sets, and I just thought how much nicer it would be to have a nice set.

Knowing nothing, I did a bunch of research and bought some Monaco chips from discountpokerstore or whatever it’s called. While waiting for them to arrive, I did a little more research and found this site, learned about Paulsons and CPC’s and became filled with regret.

Now, I begin my quest for actually nice chips, without spending a month’s rent on them.

This seems like a great community from what I’ve been able to read so far!
Welcome. I used to be up on Ditmars and 33rd

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom