I was today years old when I… (5 Viewers)

:eek:

A7EE9A0F-F265-447C-B767-9DBB4CE5FE48.jpeg

Last edited:
I was today years old when I learned that "you've got another thing coming" was originally "you've got another think coming."

While both are considered acceptable today, think is slightly more semantically correct: "If you think that, you've got another think coming."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/usage-another-think-coming-or-another-thing-coming
I just learned that this is an eggcorn

eggcorn
ĕg′kôrn″

noun​

1. A series of words that result from the misunderstanding of a word or phrase as some other word or phrase having a plausible explanation, as free reign for free rein, or to the manor born for to the manner born (from William Shakespeare's Hamlet).
  2. An idiosyncratic but semantically motivated substitution of a word or phrase for a word or words that sound identical, or nearly so, at least in the dialect the speaker uses.

eggcorn
ĕg′kôrn″

noun​

1. A series of words that result from the misunderstanding of a word or phrase as some other word or phrase having a plausible explanation, as free reign for free rein, or to the manor born for to the manner born (from William Shakespeare's Hamlet).
  2. An idiosyncratic but semantically motivated substitution of a word or phrase for a word or words that sound identical, or nearly so, at least in the dialect the speaker uses.

So something like “loose money” would be an egg corn when people mean to say “lose money?”

Loose vs lose always bothers me haha

eggcorn
ĕg′kôrn″

noun​

Coming down the pipe ... nope, it was pike originally.

Chomping at the bit ... nope, it's champing at the bit.

For all intensive purposes ... nope, that's intents and purposes.

It's a doggy-dog world ... nope, it's a dog-eat-dog world.

Take it for granite ... nope, that would be granted

Card shark… nope, should be card sharp

* pulls pin from grenade, chucks it into room and stands back

Lol in The Office, Michael Scott says “spider face” instead of “ cut off your nose to spite your face”

I forget who the comedian was, but they had a bit about mis-hearing song lyrics. The one that sticks with me is “big ol’ Jed had a light on” really being “big ol’ jet airliner“

Shania Twain - “I can’t believe you kiss your c*ck at night”

Hahaha. I recently heard another great Shania Twain misheard lyric. The lyric is from 'Man, I feel like a woman' that says "color my hair, do what I dare"

Well, one of my cousins college friends thought the lyric was "Cum on my hair"...best part is they found this out when she was singing along to the song at a bar and screamed her version out in front of everybody

I get the misunderstandings in the first three, but do people really say "take it for granite" and "doggy-dog world"?

I get the misunderstandings in the first three, but do people really say "take it for granite" and "doggy-dog world"?
Sadly, yes. I have personally heard both.

There are plenty of others that I've seen written in lists, that make me say "Really? Someone actually thought it was that?" which also goes along with many of the mis-heard lyrics I've seen referenced. For example, I don't believe that anyone sincerely ever thought the Elton John lyric was "Tony Danza." If you listen to the song even once, that's just silly. Plus it's the goddamn title of the song!

Last edited:
i have a buddy at work who thought the phrase "might as well" was "mine as well". nobody ever noticed until he typed it in work chat to me one day.

“Damp squid” always makes me laugh. Well if course it’s damp. It’s a squid :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

“Let me be pacific”. You want to be an ocean? No bother, crack on.

“Escape goat”. You know how goats are famous for getting out of straight jackets while being suspended upside down in a tank of water?!?!

“Lame man’s terms”. Because that guy with the dodgy knee didn’t quite understand your explanation.

“Passing mustard”. For when ketchup alone isn’t enough.

“Nipped in the butt”. You can get in trouble for that.

And my personal favourite…

“A social leopard”. For when you need to take a dangerous predator to a party and Prince Andrew’s already booked.

Last edited:
“Let me be pacific”. You want to be an ocean? No bother, crack on.
If Mrs S says "specifically," I will often respond with "Atlantically?" She does it right back to me too.

Actually, I think she started it, damn her hide.

“Passing mustard”. For when ketchup alone isn’t enough.
When the kids were younger and we took them on cruises, they always complained about the boring "mustard drill."

We're cruising again later this year. I'm going to have to pay close attention to see if they still say "mustard" now that they're all teenagers... :sneaky:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom