Job/Life Advice (1 Viewer)

I still work in marketing for a finance company :\ I’m currently reading the book “what color is your parachute” and trying to figure out what it is I want to do long term. I’ve narrowed it down to a few things and I’m just unsure on how I can go about things (the biggest barrier is that I would like to probably go back to school but it is expensive as hell)
Every time I've gone back to school, my company has paid for it. Not sure if this is an option for you, but I'd definitely look into it.

Check a local community college, they usually have lots of professional certificate programs, and are usually on the cheap.
This is good advice, the community college I attend has fairly inexpensive classes compared to a four-year college and you'd likely qualify for student aid with a low enough salary. You can get an A.A. degree from one and not have to take any extra classes at a second college if you decide to continue with a second degree.

In your original post you mentioned mechanical engineering. I'm not sure if that's still on your list of maybes, but I currently work as a mechanical engineer so if you had any questions I'd be happy to answer what I can.

This is good advice, the community college I attend has fairly inexpensive classes compared to a four-year college and you'd likely qualify for student aid with a low enough salary. You can get an A.A. degree from one and not have to take any extra classes at a second college if you decide to continue with a second degree.
Even doing a technical class at a CC can be huge. Getting a machine tool or welding cert can open up career fields and cost a minimal amount.

Even doing a technical class at a CC can be huge. Getting a machine tool or welding cert can open up career fields and cost a minimal amount.
I’m a big believer that trades will be the leader in the next 10yrs.

Especially plumbing, welding and electrical.

The average age for a trades technician with high pay is approximately 50yrs old now, with no backfilling on the way.

Today’s youth (18-25) can strike gold if they leverage this properly….

The average age for a trades technician with high pay is approximately 50yrs old now, with no backfilling on the way.

It's our bread and butter at my Community College.

I've had a few different career directions in my lifetime (inspection/quality assurance in the energy/nuclear/aerospace fields, computer hardware/software development and support, and have owned a couple of small businesses along the way (plus pro bg player/instructor/organizer as a side hustle).

Most of the jobs were being hired to go into a new situation to 'fix' things and set up processes/procedures, typically lasting one to three years to accomplish the goals before moving on to a new challenge (longest I ever worked for a single company was ten years, but even that was broken up into three distinctly different areas).

But it wasn't until I got into training, teaching, and mentoring that I found long-term satisfaction in the workplace. It was by far the hardest and most mentally exhausting, but also the most rewarding.

For reference concerning trades post above:

Opelika AL 2023 Pay Schedule for our city power service employees.

I expect it to be much higher in the coming years. Retention bonuses will be wild too….

IMG_1385.jpeg

Last edited:
For reference concerning trades post above:

Opelika AL 2023 Pay Schedule for our city power service. I expect it to be much higher in the coming years. Retention bonuses will be wild too….
View attachment 1345648

That's a good salary schedule.

An attorney for the City of Chicago is welcomed in with a $17/hr as a clerk, mid career is $70k, and maximum around $200k.

Comparing the cost and quality of life. I'd take Alabama any day.

The trades really need to make a comeback.

Look into some industries that have intro certifications. Those are often aimed at working professionals that either have classes at night or online self paced. That can be an easy and affordable way to dip your toe in without spending too much time and money up front.

I'm in IT and there are a ton of certs in my world, from IT admin work, coding certs (tons of free stuff as well), and cybersecurity. At most you would be spending a couple hundred on the entry level ones and might give you an idea if that type of work would even float your boat. I'm sure other industries have similar I'm just not too familiar with them.

Check a local community college, they usually have lots of professional certificate programs, and are usually on the cheap.
Yeah I think I might go to a local community college and try to take some courses pertaining what I want to do. I think the grander issue is, I think I want to move into something more stem focused, whether it be engineering or relating computers or physics, and usually you can't get into that with just a certificate. And I don't have a stem undergrad degree, so I don't think I can go straight into a masters program.

Every time I've gone back to school, my company has paid for it. Not sure if this is an option for you, but I'd definitely look into it.
Yeah unfortunately I am working on a yearly contract and so I don't get a lot of benefits (aka not even health insurance lol) which is why I've been trying to find a direct hire full time job and hopefully utilize a benefit to go back to school and have them pay.

Unfortunately I will not qualify for aid in NYC :( But I think I may try to get an associates in something relating what I want to do and see if that allows me to go direct into a masters since I already have a bachelors.

In your original post you mentioned mechanical engineering. I'm not sure if that's still on your list of maybes, but I currently work as a mechanical engineer so if you had any questions I'd be happy to answer what I can.
Will PM you!
Yeah, problem is not many CC in new york offer these kinds of classes as NY is not a very trade focused state. Most of those are separate schools entirely.

I totally get this, but don't want to pursue something for just money if I hate it (aka what I'm doing now, as I can just keep moving up in this field and make a lot but i genuinely don't enjoy it)

I've had a few different career directions in my lifetime (inspection/quality assurance in the energy/nuclear/aerospace fields, computer hardware/software development and support, and have owned a couple of small businesses along the way (plus pro bg player/instructor/organizer as a side hustle).

Most of the jobs were being hired to go into a new situation to 'fix' things and set up processes/procedures, typically lasting one to three years to accomplish the goals before moving on to a new challenge (longest I ever worked for a single company was ten years, but even that was broken up into three distinctly different areas).

But it wasn't until I got into training, teaching, and mentoring that I found long-term satisfaction in the workplace. It was by far the hardest and most mentally exhausting, but also the most rewarding.
what did you study in school? I like the idea of being able to work on different types of things like that.

I’ll just tell you what I tell everyone in similar situations; healthcare.

And if you really want to make a difference, make great money, have countless opportunities to shift gears and advance your responsibilities, and never want for a job that’s in high demand, nursing.

I got my AA in nursing at 25 and have been doing it for the last 33 years. I’m away from the bedside and have been for awhile; went into nurse education in the system I’m in, case managed a panel in our home care clinic, and presently work in mental health/addiction. My two oldest followed in my footsteps one in my system and one in Mayo’s. An AA in nursing is a whirlwind 18 months and you don’t have to be “cut out” for it. My first ever clinical back in the 90’s I had never touched another person in a care delivery capacity.

Many years ago I completed my BSN and went back during the pandemic and added an MS in healthcare communication and innovation.

Give it some thought. In MN 2 year RN’s start around $85K and often with 5 figure sign on bonuses.

In the next 5 to 10 years I’ll switch to the private sector and maybe take a stab at medical sales.

Or just play poker and nap. I’ll be old.

Good luck.

Ken

Yeah I think I might go to a local community college and try to take some courses pertaining what I want to do. I think the grander issue is, I think I want to move into something more stem focused, whether it be engineering or relating computers or physics, and usually you can't get into that with just a certificate. And I don't have a stem undergrad degree, so I don't think I can go straight into a masters program.

Yeah unfortunately I am working on a yearly contract and so I don't get a lot of benefits (aka not even health insurance lol) which is why I've been trying to find a direct hire full time job and hopefully utilize a benefit to go back to school and have them pay.

Unfortunately I will not qualify for aid in NYC :( But I think I may try to get an associates in something relating what I want to do and see if that allows me to go direct into a masters since I already have a bachelors.

Will PM you!

Yeah, problem is not many CC in new york offer these kinds of classes as NY is not a very trade focused state. Most of those are separate schools entirely.

I totally get this, but don't want to pursue something for just money if I hate it (aka what I'm doing now, as I can just keep moving up in this field and make a lot but i genuinely don't enjoy it)

what did you study in school? I like the idea of being able to work on different types of things like that.
For computers you can 100% get into without a new degree. I had a buddy who was a senior software engineer whos degree was ministerial studies from some non-accredited tiny bible college. He ended getting some coding certs and got his foot in the door. I know a ton of cyber guys who dont have degrees in technical stuff, a lot of English degrees in cyber security.

All that said if you want to get into computers I would say start with some coding, it helps in all IT to have a little bit of coding background.

Also message me if you have any questions

I was a software engineer and a fee only financial planner. I can recommend either. But if software engineering, you want to work on product development not in the IT dot of a big company!

One key is, we are not designed to do the same job for ever! We need change every now because of boredom

Dreams without goals are just dreams, and ultimately they fuel disappointment. On the road to achieving your dreams you must apply discipline, but more importantly consistency, because without commitment, you will never start, and without consistency you will never finish.

Dr. A.R. Bernard

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom