Limit Sets, Limit Sets, MORE Limit Sets!!! (8 Viewers)

Okay, I've been lurking this thread a little and you guys are saying you actually need around 3000 chips to make a limit game more than "work"?
lol no. I know I am the main instigator of more chips for limit here, but I am not saying 3000 chips are necessary. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having 3000 chips, but most people just are not going to do that in a home game situation and it really isn't necessary.

Not necessarily. 2/4 can be Done with a rack per person. 3/6 is stretching a rack per person and 4/8 I would want at least 2 minimum or your gonna be making a lot of change
This is 100% fine assuming you have at least some bigger chips as well

2/4 structure, max 8 players, preferred 6-7 players. Set would be for mixed & circus games.

960 betting chips allows for up to:
  • 8 players - 120 workhorse chips per player
  • 7 - 136 chips/per
  • 6 - 160/per
With the 30 "value" chips (one 20x chip = one barrel), and 10 "rebuy" chips (one 100x chip = one rack) being used for rebuys, add-ons and change-making with the big stacks.
For Limit Hold'em, and my players I would have no problem with that set-up, even with a 4/8 game.

If you were playing split pot games, circus games, or your players are a little more aggressive, you might find it a bit tight. My standard buy-in has been 1 rack per player, for 2/4, 3/6 and 4/8.

For Limit Hold'em, and my players I would have no problem with that set-up, even with a 4/8 game.

If you were playing split pot games, circus games, or your players are a little more aggressive, you might find it a bit tight. My standard buy-in has been 1 rack per player, for 2/4, 3/6 and 4/8.
Thank you! To be clear - "a bit tight" because it might not have an ideal amount of betting chips, right?

Thank you! To be clear - "a bit tight" because it might not have an ideal amount of betting chips, right?
You may need to make more rebuys. Number of betting chips won't be an issue.

However, rebuys can be made pretty quickly if
  1. The expected reload is pre-set in a rack, or
  2. You use a 20x chip and your players tend to keep chips in stacks of 20, so you can give the player five 20x chips, and they can buy barrels from 1-5 different players.
Rebuys were the only time anybody had to make change. Unlike a tournament, there wasn't a clock, so the game could take a brief pause as a player had to dig out their wallet. We also take regular breaks in our cash games for food, socializing (2-3 tables each night), unrushed bathroom breaks, and to determine if anyone wants to change tables (and thus stakes). This is the perfect time for topping off short stacks without interrupting action.

Then again, I had one player buy into a 75c-$1.50 (3/6) game for $1000. I never had to handle change making at that table.

...and yes, I had enough chips so money didn't have to play.

I had one player buy into a 75c-$1.50 (3/6) game for $1000

I ran this edge-case scenario against my 960/30/10 breakdown and the set still holds up and would playable with no issues. The rebuys are a little tight for the rest of the table as you mentioned, so if I were to add to the set, a few barrels of 20x would be the way I’d do it.

My LCO Limit Set
image.jpg

My Garden City Limit Set. Good for 4/8, 6/12 or even 8/16. These are BCC not Paulson. All stand on edge, not the bicycle tires that older sets can be.View attachment 636371
16 racks of $2 chips! Love it!

Seriously, I would love to have about 16-20 racks of 25c, $1, $2, & $5 + gotta have at least 4 or 5 racks of $25's and a couple hundos too. That way I would have everything covered.

7000 chips for a home set up, hmm
Seems a bit excessive.....
Nah

So to my previous question - would my proposed 960/30/10 non-denominated set be playable?

@upNdown @Rhodeman77 @Poker Zombie

So 8 players, assuming 2- chip/4-chip a 25 BB buy in is 100 workhorse chips or 5 color up chips, or 1 big color up chips.

960 gives you 9.6 buy ins in workhorses, 30 color up chips gives you 5 more buy ins, and 10 big color up chips gives you 10 more. So you just barely clear 24 buy ins.

Personally, I would rather avoid the 100x chip if at all possible. They get pretty tough to break in a limit pot, so I would suspect that's why 900/100 is a more popular choice. That gives you 29 buy ins for the same 1000 chips and you are only giving up 60 workhorses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom