Looking for a clay/chinese clay chip that fits my budget of ~150! (1 Viewer)

sirtiltalot

Waiting List
Reaction score
I am in college and trying to buy my first “real” set of poker chips. I have watched videos and got samples and decided I would like a clay/chinese clay chip set. I really like the milano’s but they are either out of stock for months on the sites with good prices or listed for much higher prices on other sites. Is there any chips similar to milano’s that are more available and cheaper? I also need $10 denominations available. I am hoping to spend ~150 for a 400/500 count, less than 150 would be amazing but I would maybe be able to go up to 200 if necessary.

Are you sure you need $10-chips? Standard progression is frac/1/5/20 or 25/100/500. 10s are usually redundant.
@Eriks he's from Texas, they don't know anything but they all believe bigger is better.

You don't want a $10 denom.

1716975506686.png

I'm excited for you, sometimes you find people that are selling or giving away sets for college students. Seriously why do you think you need a 10 denom?

In my signature you'll find a break down post, lets start with that (read it) and come back and work out a break down, then we can explore chip options.

What's the buy in? Lets just say its 20 bucks and you'll have 10 guys and maybe 2 rebuys, call it a 600 USD bank

Non denominated (aka used as .05) x 100
.25 x 100
1 x 100
5 x 100

$630 bank / 400 chips

This break down (below) would be considered non standard and you boys from Texas might not be able to handle it, but it has a larger bank in the same amount of chips. Ceramics don't have a high resell value and this off meta denom would make it less desirable if you sell it, but it makes use of your perceived need for a 10 and integrates it into the set so you're not losing efficiency. Limits games to .10 / .10

Non denominated (aka used as .10) x 100
.50 x 100
2 x 100
10 x 100

$1260 bank / 400 chips

Are you sure you need $10-chips? Standard progression is frac/1/5/20 or 25/100/500. 10s are usually redundant.
Our game is .10/.20 with most people buying in for $10-20. I was planning on using the denominations .10, .50, 1 and 5, giving each player 25 $.10, 15 $.50, 5 $1 and 1 $5 chip.

Our game is .10/.20 with most people buying in for $10-20. I was planning on using the denominations .10, .50, 1 and 5, giving each player 25 $.10, 15 $.50, 5 $1 and 1 $5 chip.
Sorry forgot to add I was going to use the $10 chip as a .10 chip, 50 as .5, 100 as $1 and 500 as $5.

Sorry forgot to add I was going to use the $10 chip as a .10 chip, 50 as .5, 100 as $1 and 500 as $5.
It works, would tilt me, but it works.
If you go the custom route as suggested above, you could do the correct denoms instead. Those new molds with a recess and label are easily the best you can get for what they cost.

I would consider going 25c/25c instead. Not too different from 10c/20c and it allows you to get more effeciency with your denoms. Especially important since you’re on a tight budget.

Why not 5 as .05 instead of 50? That way you could do .05 .10. Much more efficient than .10/.20 and you could use 25’s as quarters. Much more standard. Think about it.

Why not 5 as .05 instead of 50? That way you could do .05 .10. Much more efficient than .10/.20 and you could use 25’s as quarters. Much more standard. Think about it.
What would my chip breakdown and starting stacks be for .05/.10? I was thinking using .05. .25, 1 and 5 chips. Keep in mind my game is a limp fest so I would probably need more .05 chips then average games. I have 6 players usually who buy in for 100bb and sometimes rebuy so I was assuming I would need 1200bb total.

@Eriks he's from Texas, they don't know anything but they all believe bigger is better.

You don't want a $10 denom.

I'm excited for you, sometimes you find people that are selling or giving away sets for college students. Seriously why do you think you need a 10 denom?

In my signature you'll find a break down post, lets start with that (read it) and come back and work out a break down, then we can explore chip options.

What's the buy in? Lets just say its 20 bucks and you'll have 10 guys and maybe 2 rebuys, call it a 600 USD bank

Non denominated (aka used as .05) x 100
.25 x 100
1 x 100
5 x 100

$630 bank / 400 chips

This break down (below) would be considered non standard and you boys from Texas might not be able to handle it, but it has a larger bank in the same amount of chips. Ceramics don't have a high resell value and this off meta denom would make it less desirable if you sell it, but it makes use of your perceived need for a 10 and integrates it into the set so you're not losing efficiency. Limits games to .10 / .10

Non denominated (aka used as .10) x 100
.50 x 100
2 x 100
10 x 100

$1260 bank / 400 chips
I like the .05/.10 idea but I would probably need ~150 .05s as my game is a limpfest.

I was thinking
.05 x 125
.25 x 100
1 x 50
5 x 25

and then starting stacks as
.05 x 20
.25 x 16
1 x 5

and then can add one or two 5 dollar chips if anyone wants to buy in for 15-20.

Is this a good breakdown and starting stack?

Starting stacks don’t matter so much, that’s not going to be enough chips

You really won’t need more .05, your work horse is going to be the .25 and $1

Depending on where you buy chips I would do

.05 x 100
.25 x 100
1 x 100
5 x 100

To start and then play it a few months, you’ll likely see you need more .25s

and then starting stacks as
.05 x 20
.25 x 16
1 x 5
I wouldn't worry about starting stacks. Just buy-in every player with the smallest denom you have in your bank.

For example, someone buys in for $12. Give them the whole rack of 5c chips, and the rest of their buy-in ($7) in 25c chips (28x). Then everyone can swap and make change with each other at the table. Less thinking for the banker.

I wouldn't worry about starting stacks. Just buy-in every player with the smallest denom you have in your bank.

For example, someone buys in for $12. Give them the whole rack of 5c chips, and the rest of their buy-in ($7) in 25c chips (28x). Then everyone can swap and make change with each other at the table. Less thinking for the banker.
Why not just name them bank

100 x 5¢ + 28 x 25¢ = $12 buy-in (example)

If you don't want to give another player the small chips, take them yourself. Either way, it's not hard, and it reduces the chance for incorrect amounts given when cashing players in. Is it easier to count $20 in all ones, or $20 split between three different denoms?

I think handing out all of the small denoms to one player is bad advice, but I also think if you did do this it would only happen once.

there's a difference between saying that not everyone has to have the perfect starting stack and just giving one person all the fracs
Okay, what's the difference when they're literally all on the table, and the players say "Hey, give me $5 in fracs" to whoever buys in with the small denoms?

All it does is speed things up. I don't see how you guys are going to make an issue out of it, either. PCF is home of gatekeeping shitty ideas, and old ways.

EDIT: The only way this would be a problem is if you're really that much of a genius to put 500x 25c chips into play just because you have them. Which is not what I'm saying. He's mainly asking about building a set, not starting stack advice. I just saw the opportunity to help someone out. (Sad it needs to be clarified ahead of time)

Last edited:
Okay, what's the difference when they're literally all on the table, and the players say "Hey, give me $5 in fracs" to whoever buys in with the small denoms?

All it does is speed things up. I don't see how you guys are going to make an issue out of it, either. PCF is home of gatekeeping shitty ideas, and old ways.
You seem a bit emotional about a disagreement, it makes it difficult to have discourse if you are going to lash out because you’re upset. It will make others not trust that you can engage in a conversation without ad hominem. I try to keep an open mind, there are those with different and in some cases more experience than myself.

I don’t spread a full rack of fracs, I only put 60 in play. It will slow the game down at the start if you give them all to one person, in my game it would actually piss off some of the chippers who want all the fracs anyway, they get them and don’t give out change, it actually makes us play 1/1 because they prefer to raise rather than come off the fracs.

Players don’t get to ask for a break down of chips in my game, you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit!

EDIT: The only way this would be a problem is if you're really that much of a genius to put 500x 25c chips into play just because you have them. Which is not what I'm saying. He's mainly asking about building a set, not starting stack advice. I just saw the opportunity to help someone out. (Sad it needs to be clarified ahead of time)
So you rather hand out 80 fracs or 60 fracs to one person... half of rack of $1 to another player, another half rack of $1 to another player, 10 $5s to remaining players and ask all the players to make change among themselves? Because that's how your comment reads.

Agree with @Machine that the above situation would dramatically slow the game down, essentially either the game will play like a 1/1 or there will be asks for change for 10minutes in the beginning so everyone has some fracs and $1s, or there would be a constant mess of change as each hand plays.

As the host/banker I don't assume my players know how to make starting stacks. I make them based on the stake and ensure they get what they bought in for.

So you rather hand out 80 fracs or 60 fracs to one person... half of rack of $1 to another player, another half rack of $1 to another player, 10 $5s to remaining players and ask all the players to make change among themselves? Because that's how your comment reads.

Agree with @Machine that the above situation would dramatically slow the game down, essentially either the game will play like a 1/1 or there will be asks for change for 10minutes in the beginning so everyone has some fracs and $1s, or there would be a constant mess of change as each hand plays.

As the host/banker I don't assume my players know how to make starting stacks. I make them based on the stake and ensure they get what they bought in for.
1 rack goes to one person.

Everyone was suggesting 1 rack of 0.05 chips.

All it does is speed things up
The difference is that setting your game up such that everyone has to ask for change right away to me SLOWS the game down, whereas (to me at least) it's really not much work to give a player a mix of denominations when buying in, and that happens outside the game so it doesn't slow anything down.
If we're playing with .05 i normally give each player 1 barrel of .05 and 1 barrel of .25 and then $1 up to their buyin until i have as many fracs on the table as I want (between 5-8 barrels of .05 and 8-10 barrels of .25).
So i don't care that the set provides a perfect breakdown of "starting stacks" but i also think it makes sense to try to distribute things decently well to start.

The difference is that setting your game up such that everyone has to ask for change right away to me SLOWS the game down, whereas (to me at least) it's really not much work to give a player a mix of denominations when buying in, and that happens outside the game so it doesn't slow anything down.
If we're playing with .05 i normally give each player 1 barrel of .05 and 1 barrel of .25 and then $1 up to their buyin until i have as many fracs on the table as I want (between 5-8 barrels of .05 and 8-10 barrels of .25).
So i don't care that the set provides a perfect breakdown of "starting stacks" but i also think it makes sense to try to distribute things decently well to start.
Everyone buys-in. They go and sit down. There is the first person who bought in, sitting at the table ready to disperse the fracs. Players buy the amount they want.

If "too many" is a problem, the left-overs go to my stack and I don't complain.

EDIT: I also agree with handing out barrels of chips. Can't hand out 9 barrels of fracs with only 1 rack of chips, though. And also, 9 barrels of fracs is way too many.

Yeah, I don't see how this makes things any easier. To me it adds a lot more counting and room for error, and I trust myself to do that more accurately than my players at the table who don't always even stack their chips in 20s. Obviously, any game will have change-making but normally that's starts after a while, not from the get-go.
But hey your game, do whatever you want, we can't stop you. We're just not going to pretend like it's a great idea.

Yeah, I don't see how this makes things any easier. To me it adds a lot more counting and room for error, and I trust myself to do that more accurately than my players at the table who don't always even stack their chips in 20s. Obviously, any game will have change-making but normally that's starts after a while, not from the get-go.
But hey your game, do whatever you want, we can't stop you. We're just not going to pretend like it's a great idea.
If you can't trust your players to make change, why are you allowing them to throw around their money in your home? Sounds like you got bigger issues in your player pool.

Actually, it sounds kinda evil...

If you can't trust your players to make change, why are you allowing them to throw around their money in your home? Sounds like you got bigger issues in your player pool.

Actually, it sounds kinda evil...
Do you bank your own game? When I host I bank and I'm not only responsible for my money but also my player's money. Your system creates a lot of room for error. Yes I trust all my players , that's why they have an invite to my home , but humans make mistakes. If I'm the one responsible for someone else's money Ima do my best to ensure mistakes don't happen. When they do , I cover the difference because I'm the host.

If your players accidentally make an error in giving change and suddenly your bank is $20 dollars light at the end of the night. Do you pay it or do you expect your players to cover the mistake?

Understand that we are playing for nickels and quarters here but little mistakes with money can break friendships.

I rather avoid them. You do you.

Do you bank your own game? When I host I bank and I'm not only responsible for my money but also my player's money. Your system creates a lot of room for error. Yes I trust all my players , that's why they have an invite to my home , but humans make mistakes. If I'm the one responsible for someone else's money Ima do my best to ensure mistakes don't happen. When they do , I cover the difference because I'm the host.

If your players accidentally make an error in giving change and suddenly your bank is $20 dollars light at the end of the night. Do you pay it or do you expect your players to cover the mistake?

Understand that we are playing for nickels and quarters here but little mistakes with money can break friendships.

I rather avoid them. You do you.
It's impossible for the bank to be $20 in one direction or the other, unless someone brings a cloned chip into the game, or someone takes chips home.

The rack of fracs was purchased as chips in this example.

If you go to the bank with $100, and buy 100 x $1 bills. You still have $100.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom