Main Event Final Table - Sunglasses? (3 Viewers)

Would you wear sunglasses, final table?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Upon making the final table at a live major event, my first calls are to Ray-Ban and Foster Grant, looking for an endorsement deal.

No deal, no glasses.

I voted yes. Nothing hugely obnoxious, but probably something with a little tint to cut down on all the lights. The main motivation wouldn’t be to hide my eyes, but it doesn’t hurt if that’s what ends up happening.

It seemed like color-tinted glasses were especially popular this year from the bits and pieces that I caught on YouTube.

I’m wearing a Yeltzen hat and some loudly colored Wayfarers.

If you had asked me this question a week ago, I would have said "no" because wearing sunglasses in poker to "hide your tells" is stupid. But I final tabled the $3k HORSE event this weekend at the WSOP and after playing under the bright lights, I definitely have a different perspective. Those lights at the featured tables are intense. They're practically blinding. The entire table was taking about it for the first 15 minutes after we sat down. I was fine because I was wearing a hat, but if I didn't have my hat I definitely would have wished I had some sunglasses. I think a hat is better, but if you have neither and you make it to the FT at the WSOP, you're going to wish you had something to block out that lighting.

If you had asked me this question a week ago, I would have said "no" because wearing sunglasses in poker to "hide your tells" is stupid. But I final tabled the $3k HORSE event this weekend at the WSOP and after playing under the bright lights, I definitely have a different perspective. Those lights at the featured tables are intense. They're practically blinding. The entire table was taking about it for the first 15 minutes after we sat down. I was fine because I was wearing a hat, but if I didn't have my hat I definitely would have wished I had some sunglasses. I think a hat is better, but if you have neither and you make it to the FT at the WSOP, you're going to wish you had something to block out that lighting.
3rd place? Damn. Nice job!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-16-01-58-29-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-16-01-58-29-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12-1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 32
ALRIGHT. I've never worn sunglasses at a poker table, I love being social and I think the sunglasses put some people off. But lets say you've made it to the World Series of Poker Main Event, where significant 6-figure pay jumps are the norm.

Do you wear sunglasses? How far do you take it? I dont know, I think I might. I'm a proud goofy rec, Im sure I give off tells and if these help me in any way I'd probably wear them. Curious what others think. I've definitely toned down the chatter when deep in a tournament but never made wardrobe choices on it other than a big sweatshirt.

Never wearing a scarf though, I've got a pretty neck and I need to use it to distract the opponent
Personally a two pairs of sunglasses guy

Doug Polk just did a podcast with Negreanu and Alan Keating and the subject of sunglasses came up. Alan proposed banning sunglasses at the table (as a way to keep tables lighter and more social.) Doug cautioned that he thought sunglasses were more common for recs and that you want to keep your recs happy. Daniel wouldn’t quite agree that it’s mostly recs wearing sunglasses, but I think he was good with banning them.

Upon rethinking a main event situation, I guess I’d like to have a pair with me and maybe put them on when I got involved in a hand, but I’m never gonna be a sunglasses for the whole time guy.

Doug Polk just did a podcast with Negreanu and Alan Keating and the subject of sunglasses came up. Alan proposed banning sunglasses at the table (as a way to keep tables lighter and more social.) Doug cautioned that he thought sunglasses were more common for recs and that you want to keep your recs happy. Daniel wouldn’t quite agree that it’s mostly recs wearing sunglasses, but I think he was good with banning them.

Upon rethinking a main event situation, I guess I’d like to have a pair with me and maybe put them on when I got involved in a hand, but I’m never gonna be a sunglasses for the whole time guy.
Not sure if this is a short from the same interview but a friend passed this along.

I would put on sunglasses only when I had a strong hand early on trying to create a tell. Then I'd use that to create a false tell if I got in the money. Then I'd start eating Oreos.

You definitely need to be aware of all the tells you might give off. But…I’m watching the final tablestreams right now and if Capra Aldemir wears em who am I to say no!!!

The ironic thing is the act of wearing sunglasses due to fear of giving off body language clues is often a very helpful tell in itself.

Players that do this are already sending the message they are nervous about being seen doing something, which begs the question what are they hoping to hide, which means I am on the lookout for these players to have a higher bluff frequency.

Again, no tell is 100% and when using tells, always review consistently per each individual opponent. But when I know little else about a player, assuming sunglasses players have a bias toward aggression is a decent default starting point.

Ivey and Negreanu both started wearing yellow tinted glasses at tv tables this year. Cuts down the glare, but doesn’t reduce their vision apparently.
Working on computers for 8 hours a day, I know some of my colleagues are doing this too

ETA: I should really be looking at this myself.

Last edited:
The ironic thing is the act of wearing sunglasses due to fear of giving off body language clues is often a very helpful tell in itself.

Players that do this are already sending the message they are nervous about being seen doing something, which begs the question what are they hoping to hide, which means I am on the lookout for these players to have a higher bluff frequency.

Again, no tell is 100% and when using tells, always review consistently per each individual opponent. But when I know little else about a player, assuming sunglasses players have a bias toward aggression is a decent default starting point.
Absolutely, it would show nerves on my part, I'm a rec in a huge spot. Appreciate all the inputs, was just wondering whether the fact that I could stare at whatever I wanted to would outweigh the target it puts on my back.

Working on computers for 8 hours a day, I know some of my colleagues are doing this too

ETA: I should really be looking at this myself.
I'd highly advise, I'm stuck at a few monitors for most of the day and blue-light glasses really helped. Lowers eye strain without having to filter my screen's light.

Absolutely, it would show nerves on my part, I'm a rec in a huge spot. Appreciate all the inputs, was just wondering whether the fact that I could stare at whatever I wanted to would outweigh the target it puts on my back.
In all modesty, I don't think too many players think like me on this. Some probably do. But the other points in this thread are very good

Fwiw, I am getting beat right now in a game with no sunglasses opponents

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom