For Sale "Mark's Place East" Westport, CT drink chips from the 1970's (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I grew up in Westport in the 1970s. "Mark's Place East" was (depending on the day and the time of the evening) an upscale dance club, jazz club and beer hall.

I did a lot of internet searching, and finally found "Mark", now in Vermont. These chips have been in his basement since then.

These were not poker chips, but drink chips. He wanted his bar to be a service bar only - did not want the bartenders wasting their time making change for customers or waitresses. That's where the chips come in. As Mark explained it to me, "Each waitress was their own cash register. Patron would order a drink(s), waitress would take the cash, make change and accept tips. Waitress would go up to the bar, place the order and give the appropriate amount of chips for the drink order that would be placed into a bank, specific to the waitress. At the end of the night, the waitress would have to pay for all the chips in her bank, and any leftover cash were her tips."

The whites were 75¢, the blacks were $1.25, the reds were $2.50 and the yellows were $5. As you can imagine from prices in the 1970's, the reds and yellows are in the best shape, but none of the stamps are very bad.

Stamps are on both sides of the chips.

I have 200 white, 400 black, 500 red and 450 yellow. 1550 total chips. $700 + shipping.

Last edited:
pictures of the chips in racks so that we can see their condition? flea bites? ect...

pictures of the chips in racks so that we can see their condition? flea bites? ect...
Here are the chips in racks. Some of the white and black chips have some stamp issues, but these chips are nice for their age. If someone buys them, I can ship a lot of them in the original manufacturer boxes where they sat for years.

Attachments

• Marks Place sale.jpeg
    Marks Place sale.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 153
Here are the chips in racks. Some of the white and black chips have some stamp issues, but these chips are nice for their age. If someone buys them, I can ship a lot of them in the original manufacturer boxes where they sat for years.
Here are the boxes....

Attachments

• Marks Place boxes.jpeg
    Marks Place boxes.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 102
did he last long? curious how popular the business became
He started the place as a teen club place that failed. I have attached a picture when it was the teen club. He decided to make it into a bar. Mark ran into a problem. "Mark's Place" was on the 2nd floor. The laws at the time said any place serving alcohol had to be on the first floor (with windows) so a police officer walking by could see what was going on inside. He had to jump through some hoops to get the bar "OK'd". I think it lasted a few years...

Attachments

• pix 2.JPG
    pix 2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 137
He started the place as a teen club place that failed. I have attached a picture when it was the teen club. He decided to make it into a bar. Mark ran into a problem. "Mark's Place" was on the 2nd floor. The laws at the time said any place serving alcohol had to be on the first floor (with windows) so a police officer walking by could see what was going on inside. He had to jump through some hoops to get the bar "OK'd". I think it lasted a few years...
wow that looks like a 15 year old smoking lol

Pretty cool story, and I hope someone buys them and keeps them together. That being said, if a split happens I'd be in for 2-3 racks of yellow.

Pretty cool story, and I hope someone buys them and keeps them together. That being said, if a split happens I'd be in for 2-3 racks of yellow.
No one seems to be interested in the lot. I can sell you up to 250 of the yellow for $0.50 per chip + shipping. Message me if interested.

Please see my previous post with details on these chips.

No one was interested in purchasing the lot. If you want smaller/mixed colors, the price is 50¢ per chip + shipping. Let me know if interested. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom