Multiple Versions of $1 Chip Within Cash Set? (1 Viewer)

Love the idea, like your 214 spot choice for this, and liking the latest colors.....except black. I'd replace it with maroon, and would give strong consideration to replacing blue with retro blue. But it's ultimately what flavors of skittles you prefer, not others.

As a side note, I'm really looking forward to seeing an Outpost $1 color-combo chip that isn't beat all to hell. Don't change that fiver.

Yeah the Outpost $1 is obviously the inspiration and honestly is sort of the reason for the set. I love that color combo and wanted it as the workhorse chip. I mean, yeah, I'm ordering 1000 $1s, but I'll also be ordering 1000 $5s and honestly as much as I'd like to play limit mix more, big bet games are going to be waaaaay more common.

Love the idea. If it were my crowd, a couple of them would help sort the singles at the end of the night, so it wouldn't be so bad. A few of them might keep them in sorted stacks, which might tilt them because of trying to make countable stacks...

I have no input on the colors. One question - why go 214 instead of 414 or 418? I can going 1/4 instead of 1/8, but I think the stack would be more colorful with four spots (but still look plenty white, since the rest of your set uses no white, save the 1/16 on your $25, which looks very green.)

Love the original idea and look forward to the outcome, regardless of the colors chosen. I took a look at the color combos under low light and the only two that compete to my eyes are charcoal and black. I'd recommend switching charcoal to grey. Other than that, the colors in your 2nd iteration seem to work well.

On a different note, if we're allowed to acquire one of each, this might be one of the most expensive sample sets ever offered (and I wouldn't care...in for one of each).

Love the idea. If it were my crowd, a couple of them would help sort the singles at the end of the night, so it wouldn't be so bad. A few of them might keep them in sorted stacks, which might tilt them because of trying to make countable stacks...

I have no input on the colors. One question - why go 214 instead of 414 or 418? I can going 1/4 instead of 1/8, but I think the stack would be more colorful with four spots (but still look plenty white, since the rest of your set uses no white, save the 1/16 on your $25, which looks very green.)

214 for two reasons: (1) because I'm a cheap motherfucker and I'm going to be buying 1000 of these things; and (2) because I don't want it to look too insane with all the colors - I still want mostly a sea of white when pots get big. Honestly I also just like the way 214 chips look and I don't see too many of them in custom sets.

Love the original idea and look forward to the outcome, regardless of the colors chosen. I took a look at the color combos under low light and the only two that compete to my eyes are charcoal and black. I'd recommend switching charcoal to grey. Other than that, the colors in your 2nd iteration seem to work well.

On a different note, if we're allowed to acquire one of each, this might be one of the most expensive sample sets ever offered (and I wouldn't care...in for one of each).

I've never done sample sets before, but maybe I will for this set.

Just curious, would you go with different colored inlays to match the edge spots?

Great idea. I hadn't considered it, but will now. Not totally different colored inlays, but definitely will consider doing an accent color within the design.

Just curious, would you go with different colored inlays to match the edge spots?

I still think it would be interesting to borrow inlay designs from other chippers. Three putt, hitching post, club courage, via lactea, etc. all on different racks. It would make an epic meetup set.

An accent color at least would help with sorting. Maybe some distinguishing text or symbol as well (you probably have some colorblind players).

As a result of the @GameOnChipCompany Aug sale I did something like this. Will post pictures next week or so when they arrive.

The concept is similar: One primary color with contrasting but limited other colors.

I love this idea. I initially thought of coloring the denom to match the color, to assist in sorting, but the "different label" concept might be cool as well, provided that communications between the various set owners and CPC could be worked out.

Though as I think about it, the same labels with color matched denoms might be best, to retain the childhood-gaming aspect of picking your colors.

Unless you match PCF inlays to Monopoly pieces - the car (Pissed & n Broke) the Horse (Hitching Post) etc.

Great idea, Jack. I agree with your decision to go with 214 spots based on looks (not cost). Sometimes less is more, and I think that applies to this set. Not sure about color matching on the inlays, though. That would depend on the design.

Hey this is fun spending other people's money, so why not do a different shaped inlay for each chip as well. Oh wait see post #35.

I like the concept of tracking your chips moving around the table and have often thought about this. Just wish there was a way to really tell who you won it off of because person A wins from person B, but then the next hand that A is in he uses B's chips that he just won. So while you might have won them off of A it look like you won them from B. Plus then rebuys throw another wrench in the concept. Not that I want to deter you from moving forward with this, because I don't think that is your intent.

I like the concept of tracking your chips moving around the table and have often thought about this. Just wish there was a way to really tell who you won it off of because person A wins from person B, but then the next hand that A is in he uses B's chips that he just won. So while you might have won them off of A it look like you won them from B. Plus then rebuys throw another wrench in the concept. Not that I want to deter you from moving forward with this, because I don't think that is your intent.

Yeah this was discussed via email when I brought this up a while back with a group of CT/PCFers. Obviously there's really no accurate way to track the chips, but I think it is still pretty sweet as a needling device. Needling doesn't need to be based in fact. If someone sat down in my game under that delusion, they'd think all my friends are gay and learning disabled and all their moms are whores.

Yeah this was discussed via email when I brought this up a while back with a group of CT/PCFers. Obviously there's really no accurate way to track the chips, but I think it is still pretty sweet as a needling device. Needling doesn't need to be based in fact. If someone sat down in my game under that delusion, they'd think all my friends are HOMESEXUALS and HAVE THE INABILITY TO LEARN and all their moms are LADIES OF THE NIGHT.

edited for PC correctedness

Why do I have to be Mr. Pink? Let the pansy colors go the reload 'tards.

I have a feeling there would be a lots of cool opportunities for prop bets/promotions:

- the player with the most of their original buy-in color chips at the end of the night gets a bonus
- the player with the most of some certain other person's chips at the end of the night gets a bonus
- the player with at least 20 of each color at the end of the night gets a bonus

I'm sure there are would be tons more.

Could work quite well. Would probably work best if the spots are minimally small. Like a 218. I don't know that larger spots would look so harmonious together.

Could work quite well. Would probably work best if the spots are minimally small. Like a 218. I don't know that larger spots would look so harmonious together.

Refer back to the "cheap motherfucker" post for 218 v 214 decisions. Besides, you want the spot to be big enough to distinguish.

Refer back to the "cheap motherfucker" post for 218 v 214 decisions. Besides, you want the spot to be big enough to distinguish.
When I'm sorting chips from a pot I'm looking at base color. When I'm sizing up a competitor I'm looking at base color and reference spots for chip-stack height. I get that he's trying to save money. My point was that the collection of chips he mentioned in the OP were all 418's and that's what made them work. IMO if he uses other spots with the same idea his table will look like a rainbow bright helter skelter chip massacre.

I guess I could look at subbing blurple for lavender. Need to see blurple in person first. I get the feeling it's really dark in person, sort of like how dark green just looks black in anything other than really bright light.
Blurple and purple are reeeeaaaaaallly close. When you oil purple, it looks like blurple unoiled. Blurple just has more depth and richness to it.

Also, multiple colours for a denom is a definite yes. My Yoshi chips have v1/v2 $1 chips, and I've mixed them (Same base colour)
I also have a hot stamped chip set that inverts the colours for the denoms, so half are base a , spot b and half are base b spot a.
And I have another hot stamped set that mixes half pies and quarter pies. (This set also mixes molds, the plan is to eventually do a three spot chip as well in it, on yet another mold)

So. Yes. MUST DO!

Mike

late to this party, but I love this set... and think you should go with 2000 ones... gotta account for the rebuys... or you could go baller and get 4000 $2s.

Awesome feedback. Thanks, guys. Replaced choc with light choc, yellow with dg saturn, orange and dg tiger.

MviTsK7.jpg

Also just realized how many Reservoir Dogs quoting opportunities this set is going to give me. "Why do I get pink $1s?"

Just reiterating the 214 spot is perfect imo for the desired effect. Been staring down the spot colors for an hour and not sure I can offer better. The most problematic is charcoal but I do love it even though black is in the mix. You could consider subbing gray for it. But not if you think you might change blue to light blue, which may be something to look at. It'd be great to get blurple in the mix but it does add another darker color, and I heart lavender. I'd wear a lavender shirt and boutineer in my lapel to play with these.

Just reiterating the 214 spot is perfect imo for the desired effect. Been staring down the spot colors for an hour and not sure I can offer better. The most problematic is charcoal but I do love it even though black is in the mix. You could consider subbing gray for it. But not if you think you might change blue to light blue, which may be something to look at. It'd be great to get blurple in the mix but it does add another darker color, and I heart lavender. I'd wear a lavender shirt and boutineer in my lapel to play with these.

Thanks, courage. A few thoughts in response.

As to the colors, I tried as much as possible to use colors not found elsewhere in this draft of the set. This is what directed me toward blue (rather than retro or light as in the frac), green (rather than retro or light as in the quarter), and light choc (rather than choc as in the $5). I couldn't avoid the red, pink, and black from the hundo (mandarin looks close enough to retro imo that changing it out would be pointless and regular pink is too close to lavender imo), but I'm not that worried as the hundos wouldn't be on the table very often at all with all the racks of $1s.

As to the 214 pattern, it seems the best option when accounting for price, but if I were a billionaire I'd probably go 418. That represents a .75/chip difference in price. I think the 214 and 418 patterns are close enough in effect for this purpose to make me not want to spend the extra $750.

The only thing that makes me a little reluctant is I'm not really sure how I'll feel using mixed colors during big bet games and big bet games will be far more commonly spread than limit. I have considered doing 300 with red spots and 100 of each other color and only using the reds during big bet games. Not sure I like that idea much either, though. Still noodling...

The only thing that makes me a little reluctant is I'm not really sure how I'll feel using mixed colors during big bet games and big bet games will be far more commonly spread than limit. I have considered doing 300 with red spots and 100 of each other color and only using the reds during big bet games. Not sure I like that idea much either, though. Still noodling...

I think the general attitude of the degens will still make the multiple colors' ability to facilitate prop betting a valuable asset even in a big bet game. :-)

I have considered doing 300 with red spots and 100 of each other color and only using the reds during big bet games. Not sure I like that idea much either, though. Still noodling...

But then you'd have to figure out how would you store them in racks; 300 reds and 100 of each of the others might introduce OCD storage issues.

But then you'd have to figure out how would you store them in racks; 300 reds and 100 of each of the others might introduce OCD storage issues.

Bentax is clearly just looking out for your mental health, here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom