My Glorious, Golden, Trophy of Accomplishment and Victory (1 Viewer)

Highli99

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
In 2015 my wife and I were expecting our first child and splurged on a partial season ticket plan at Camden Yards to catch a whole bunch of Orioles games before the baby arrived. I sat in our seats in section 82 (left field) during batting practice at the first game of our season tickets and watched the home runs rain down to kids and grown or otherwise. I didn't get any balls during batting practice, but it inspired me to bet three buddies $100 each that I would catch a home run that season. They gladly took me up on this wager because they are suckers and can't resist a gambool. I sent them taunting snap chats prior to first pitch showing how the ball was going to arc right to me. Well, you know how this turns out. In the first inning only 30 minutes after placing my bet, Chris Davis hit a 410-foot home run that landed in my bare hands and won what I consider the best bet I've ever made. I went nuts as you can imagine.

Here's the video of my catch: https://www.mlb.com/video/davis-solo-home-run/c-69237383?tid=6479266

Sure, Babe Ruth famously called hitting a home run, but I am not aware of anyone who called (and bet money) they would catch a home run at a sold out game and proceded to do it without leaving their seat.

I wrote a LinkedIn blog about catching the ball. A link to the blog and not-so-humble brag is here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/management-strategies-helped-me-catch-homerun-gahagan-cpa-cia-cfe/

Well, needless to say, I decided that an accomplishment as rare as this deserved a proper trophy to display the ball. It took me a few years, but I finally got around to making the trophy this past weekend. My vision was a barehanded version of the gold glove trophy. Thankfully, with trophykits.com and a little help from Amazon, I was able to put together something that came close to my vision. Many, many mistakes were made. For instance, I intended for the ball to sit in my hand, but my hamstring froze up while I doing the moulding process and I moved my fingers too close together. Thus, the ball has to sit on my golden fingertips instead of in my golden palm. I also bought the wrong size nameplate for the trophy. Measure once and cry twice, that's what my dad taught me. My mom doesn't let him use the tools.

Luckily, the end product looks pretty good and I'm happy with how it turned out.

For those that are curious I also made a short youtube video describing the trophy manufacturing process. Please ignore the spots in the video where I am in pain and my wife is laughing at me. My hamstring froze up because I was standing on a stool to get a better angle and it really hurt. It's basically why my fingers moved and the ball doesn't fit in my palm.

Now that I have some experience I might make own version of a poker trophy for my next big tournament. Maybe holding a barrel of chips or a fan of cards. We'll see. If I ever win a poker tournament I am going to be insufferable.

Last edited:
In 2015 my wife and I were expecting our first child and splurged on a partial season ticket plan at Camden Yards to catch a whole bunch of Orioles games before the baby arrived. I sat in our seats in section 82 (left field) during batting practice at the first game of our season tickets and watched the home runs rain down to kids and grown or otherwise. I didn't get any balls during batting practice, but it inspired me to bet three buddies $100 each that I would catch a home run that season. They gladly took me up on this wager because they are suckers and can't resist a gambool. I sent them taunting snap chats prior to first pitch showing how the ball was going to arc right to me. Well, you know how this turns out. In the first inning only 30 minutes after placing my bet, Chris Davis hit a 410-foot home run that landed in my bare hands and won what I consider the best bet I've ever made. I went nuts as you can imagine.

Here's the video of my catch: https://www.mlb.com/video/davis-solo-home-run/c-69237383?tid=6479266

Sure, Babe Ruth famously called hitting a home run, but I am not aware of anyone who called (and bet money) they would catch a home run at a sold out game and proceded to do it without leaving their seat.

View attachment 271107

I wrote a LinkedIn blog about catching the ball. A link to the blog and not-so-humble brag is here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/management-strategies-helped-me-catch-homerun-gahagan-cpa-cia-cfe/

Well, needless to say, I decided that an accomplishment as rare as this deserved a proper trophy to display the ball. It took me a few years, but I finally got around to making the trophy this past weekend. My vision was a barehanded version of the gold glove trophy. Thankfully, with trophykits.com and a little help from Amazon, I was able to put together something that came close to my vision. Many, many mistakes were made. For instance, I intended for the ball to sit in my hand, but my hamstring froze up while I doing the moulding process and I moved my fingers too close together. Thus, the ball has to sit on my golden fingertips instead of in my golden palm. I also bought the wrong size nameplate for the trophy. Measure once and cry twice, that's what my dad taught me. My mom doesn't let him use the tools.

Luckily, the end product looks pretty good and I'm happy with how it turned out.

View attachment 271111

For those that are curious I also made a short youtube video describing the trophy manufacturing process. Please ignore the spots in the video where I am in pain and my wife is laughing at me. My hamstring froze up because I was standing on a stool to get a better angle and it really hurt. It's basically why my fingers moved and the ball doesn't fit in my palm.

Now that I have some experience I might make own version of a poker trophy for my next big tournament. Maybe holding a barrel of chips or a fan of cards. We'll see. If I ever win a poker tournament I am going to be insufferable.
That is just crazy. Amazing and crazy. The odds were so stacked against that. I’ve been to many games in my life. People don’t realize how rare it is to catch a foul ball. Once caught a foul ball between home and first on Father’s Day with my kids there at a braves game. Great trophy!

So awesome!

If I made a bet like that, I'd mistakenly buy seats in foul territory.

That is just crazy. Amazing and crazy. The odds were so stacked against that. I’ve been to many games in my life. People don’t realize how rare it is to catch a foul ball. Once caught a foul ball between home and first on Father’s Day with my kids there at a braves game.

This is exactly right, and was also the sentiment of my LinkedIn blog. Here are the opening lines from that:

"Anyone who has ever been to major league baseball game has imagined catching a home run. Catching a home run in Major League Baseball connects a fan with The Game, the players, and a moment in time in a way that almost no other professional sport allows. Sure, fans get hit by golf balls and an occasional errant field goal will find its way into the stands at a football game, but these occurrences lack the substance and meaning found in catching a home run. Home runs are special. ESPN even has a website that tracks each and every one in stunning detail.

For those like me who grew up going to baseball games, catching a home run is a “bucket list” activity. Grown men will drop $12 beers and dive headfirst on concrete to get a ball. Even more embarrassing, adults clearly in their mid-thirties or older will wear baseball gloves to increase their chances. I will never admit to embarrassing actions such as these, but I will freely acknowledge a life-long dream of catching a home run.

On April 11, 2015 I realized my lifelong dream and caught Chris Davis’ first home run of the 2015 season. According to ESPN’s Stats and Information Group, the ball left Chris Davis’s bat at 105.4 miles per hour and traveled 410 feet to the left field stands of Camden Yards before landing in my bare hands. Technically, ESPN doesn’t currently track whether home runs are caught bare handed but if you watch the video this can be confirmed."

Did you get it signed by Davis?

I have not, but I’ve considered trying. He’s a really nice guy so I’m sure he would. My wife got a picture with him once when we went to an away game in Pittsburgh and we saw him outside the stadium.

Not just that, but your home run catch was immortalized by the great Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer, the best in the biz. That’s awesome, congrats!

I love Gary Thorne and Palmer. I am not as much a fan of the radio crew. Joe Angel calls plays incorrectly or too slowly too often for me.

Joe retired before spring training this year. He wasn't perfect (he did have more mistakes in the last few years), but he had a fantastic voice. I'll definitely miss him.

My wife is a pro at it. Sep.20 2015 Blue Jays @ Seattle. Edwin Encarnacion hits a homer into the row in front of us.

Spring training this year. Blue Jays @ Yankees in Tampa Bay

I get pretty much cut out of the frame both times.

Guy catches once in a lifetime homer, gets on tv but doesn't face camera....

Just had to tease you. Cool story and awesome job on trophy.
Believe it or not I had been planning for the moment and did ham it up for the camera moments after live TV cut away. I was rewarded with having my celebration used in promo videos on MASN commercials and in game pump up videos for the rest of the season. All season long friends would text me pictures of it. It was funny...

Great memories and stories!

My favorite all-time baseball story involved Richie Ashburn of the Phillies. He lined a foul ball into the third base stands, it hit a woman behind the dugout, and they had to call for medical assistance. Play stopped for a minute as she was treated.

When they started up again as she was being carried off on a stretcher, Ashburn lined another ball foul and hit her again!

Ah, found it:
=====================================

Foul balls have been shot into the stands like missiles since baseball began. The strangest incident occurred on August 17th, 1957 in Philadelphia during a game against the New York Giants.

Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn hit a foul ball that struck “Alice Roth squarely in the face, breaking her nose,” writes Daven Hiskey. “The game was then paused as medics came in to tend to Roth. As they were carrying her away on a stretcher, play was resumed and Ashburn fouled off the first pitch thrown to him. This foul struck Roth as she was being carried off by the medics.”

The second foul ball broke a bone in her knee. “The fan, Alice Roth, was the wife of the sports editor for The Philadelphia Bulletin who was there with her two grandsons,” Bill Chuck notes. “There was blood everywhere.”

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. “The Phils treated the family royally after the event and the kids were invited into the clubhouse and given free tickets and an autographed baseball,” Chuck adds. “After that, the kids visited Roth in the hospital and one reportedly asked, ‘Grandma, do you think you could go to an Eagles game and get hit in the face with a football?””

Last edited:
I tried to find new the LinkedIn article, but you write alot...

Congrats on the marathon finishes, though.

Last edited:
Great memories and stories!

My favorite all-time baseball story involved Richie Ashburn of the Phillies. He lined a foul ball into the third base stands, it hit a woman behind the dugout, and they had to call for medical assistance. Play stopped for a minute as she was treated.

When they started up again as she was being carried off on a stretcher, Ashburn lined another ball foul and hit her again!

Ah, found it:
=====================================

Foul balls have been shot into the stands like missiles since baseball began. The strangest incident occurred on August 17th, 1957 in Philadelphia during a game against the New York Giants.

Hall of Famer Richie Ashburn hit a foul ball that struck “Alice Roth squarely in the face, breaking her nose,” writes Daven Hiskey. “The game was then paused as medics came in to tend to Roth. As they were carrying her away on a stretcher, play was resumed and Ashburn fouled off the first pitch thrown to him. This foul struck Roth as she was being carried off by the medics.”

The second foul ball broke a bone in her knee. “The fan, Alice Roth, was the wife of the sports editor for The Philadelphia Bulletin who was there with her two grandsons,” Bill Chuck notes. “There was blood everywhere.”

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. “The Phils treated the family royally after the event and the kids were invited into the clubhouse and given free tickets and an autographed baseball,” Chuck adds. “After that, the kids visited Roth in the hospital and one reportedly asked, ‘Grandma, do you think you could go to an Eagles game and get hit in the face with a football?””

Wow that is an amazing story. I’ve never heard it before.

I tried to find new the List nkedIn article, but you write alot...

Congrats on the marathon finishes, though.

Thanks! I think I fixed the link but here it is also. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/management-strategies-helped-me-catch-homerun-gahagan-cpa-cia-cfe

For some reason the title of this thread remains me of the Montgomery Burns' Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

That’s hysterical. I forgot about that episode but I may have been subliminally channeling it. What’s the saying...everything in the world has already been done by the simpsons.

My next poker trophy is definitely going to include the phrase “world champion of the world”

AAAANNNDDD..... you are now officially removed as a candidate for the Montgomery Burns' Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence in Posting LinkedIn Links.

Very cool! Catching one of those bare-handed isn’t that easy either. The fact that you also have a video of the homer makes the whole experience even more special. Oh yeah, winning the bet too!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom