New to buying Chips any recomendations? (1 Viewer)

Schmocto

Reaction score
Firstly English isnt my main language so im sorry if i misspell somethings.
Im on about a 200 Euro budget and dont have any Idea what i should buy. I looked into other threads heard about cc, ceramics, card molds etc. The problem now is i dont know whats the best for my Budget and also i really have a Problem finding good retail stores in the EU to buy from.
Thanks for the help!

Tell us what you’re looking for in a poker chip. Are you planning on hosting tournaments? Cash games? There are plenty of threads on how many chips are recommended to get for whatever you plan to use them for.

I think right now a lot of people will recommend you to buy Tina chips. These chips are pretty affordable and have a lot of customization available. If you do that you will need someone in the U.S. to reship the chips over to you.

There’s a group buy that happens every month on this site that you can check out to see if there’s anything you like.

How many players? Cash or tournament? If cash, how much $ do you buy in for, how much $ do you expect to have in play by the end of a game? If a tournament, what do you want the base denomination to be?

Intl' shipping definitely isn't cheap. I know there are a decent number of German members on here. Once you have your desired set mapped out, I would post a thread asking if anyone is looking to sell a set that fits your needs within the EU or what retailers they might recommend.

Firstly thanks for the Messages, i want to play Cashgames with my Friends but cant say what the buy in is yet so i think i should cover a range between 20€ and 40€. I think it is not that important because for my first Poker set i think it is fine for me and the people i play with to just assign a value to a specific chip.

Firstly thanks for the Messages, i want to play Cashgames with my Friends but cant say what the buy in is yet so i think i should cover a range between 20€ and 40€. I think it is not that important because for my first Poker set i think it is fine for me and the people i play with to just assign a value to a specific chip.
Welcome to PCF!

Take your time and get it right the first time. Denominated chips is recommended. If you guys are fine with playing non denominated, it does make the set more versatile, but personally I’m still not a fan.

I don’t use fracs myself because of my location and currency but in your shoes I would consider doing a non denominated frac and getting the rest in the usual 1/5/20 or 25 progression.

If going with a denominated frac, I very much prefer the 25c (and play either 25c/25c or 25c/50c) over doing the 10c/50c progression, even though there is no € quarter. Plays more smoothly imo.

Anywho, on your budget, I would either stretch it a bit and go for the Tina chips mentioned above. For what they cost, they are absolutely terrific. Or, throw out a feeler (wanted ad) for a cheap set already located in Germany (lots of German chippers here) or at least within the EU to avoid high shipping costs and import taxes.

Best of luck finding what you want!

Welcome to PCF!

Take your time and get it right the first time. Denominated chips is recommended. If you guys are fine with playing non denominated, it does make the set more versatile, but personally I’m still not a fan.

I don’t use fracs myself because of my location and currency but in your shoes I would consider doing a non denominated frac and getting the rest in the usual 1/5/20 or 25 progression.

If going with a denominated frac, I very much prefer the 25c (and play either 25c/25c or 25c/50c) over doing the 10c/50c progression, even though there is no € quarter. Plays more smoothly imo.

Anywho, on your budget, I would either stretch it a bit and go for the Tina chips mentioned above. For what they cost, they are absolutely terrific. Or, throw out a feeler (wanted ad) for a cheap set already located in Germany (lots of German chippers here) or at least within the EU to avoid high shipping costs and import taxes.

Best of luck finding what you want!
I will post an feeler, is there anyway i can reacht out to you except on here? I need some help properly setting one up because i dont want to miss some important information to put in there. Thanks for the detailed help!

I will post an feeler, is there anyway i can reacht out to you except on here? I need some help properly setting one up because i dont want to miss some important information to put in there. Thanks for the detailed help!
After you hit 3 posts (might take a little time after post 3 is made) you can use the pm function. The envelope icon will appear by each person’s username. Just hit me up there. I believe you need 10 posts and 3 days on here before you can use the classifieds and post a wanted ad

IMG_1394.jpeg

After you hit 3 posts (might take a little time after post 3 is made) you can use the pm function. The envelope icon will appear by each person’s username. Just hit me up there. I believe you need 10 posts and 3 days on here before you can use the classifieds and post a wanted ad

View attachment 1362132
Thanks will do!

A few things I wish I knew early on...
  • Get Samples. Yes, getting 10-20 of each chip is a cost you might not want to incur, but spending 200 euro on something that leaves you disappointed is worse. I'm looking at you dice chips :mad:
  • Use denominated chips. Some early advice (before PCF) told me to get undenominated chips. That was a terrible idea when I had a color-blind player join the game. Numbers are good - use them!
  • Use denominated chips. Telling that forgetful player 3 times a night what each color is worth - that's just dumb. If they struggle that much to remember you are burdening that player with one extra handicap.
  • Use denominated chips. If one night you want the "green chip" to be €0.25 for a €0.25-€0.50 game then a year later you want it to be €25 for a €1-€2 game, it's going to mess with your head - and you don't want that when playing at higher stakes for the first time.
  • Buy more than you need - Manufacturers close up shop, change their stock, or sell out. When this happens, you will be unable to add on to your set if your game grows.
Beyond that, this is a chip aficionado site. €200 is going to be tight, but is can be done. Get advice from here before deciding how many of each denomination to buy. A lot of money has been wasted on unneeded chips - don't repeat those errors!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom