Overlabeling textured inlays (1 Viewer)

pipdenny

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan to customize some racks of chips that have textured inlays. I want to hear from those with experience or chips with over labels on textured inlays. Do they stick ok?

I know removing inlays on some of these ‘vintage’ textured paper inlays can be very very time consuming. I’m considering just an over label but am worried that it won’t look right. Does the texture show through the label?

On a similar note, can the labels be removed later down the line and not create a sticky terrible mess on the labels? My thought is that they can be ‘restored’ to their original condition. Is this possible or will the labels just ruin them?

Thanks!

IMG_20191229_124607.jpg

I've done it in the past and the results are the same as every other overlabel; they stick absolutely fine.

From what I remember, easy to take off, too. Obviously there's a bit of sticker residue left over, but nothing some warm, soapy water and toothbrush couldn't get off.

View attachment 1324269

I've done it in the past and the results are the same as every other overlabel; they stick absolutely fine.

From what I remember, easy to take off, too. Obviously there's a bit of sticker residue left over, but nothing some warm, soapy water and toothbrush couldn't get off.
Ditto that. I’ve had no problems with any overlabels sticking to older textured inlays. And no problems with removal other than a little residual stickiness that comes off with a thumb rub.

I bought some chips that had textured inlays below and gear labels on top. I’d actually played with them before, as over labels too. They’re perfect. Personally I think they look better than chips that have been milled and labeled. But no problems at all with the over label.
Abd I removed alll the labels myself. Zero problems there. Any leftover glue residue can be easily rubbed off with your thumb.
Pictures in link below.

I’ve read people saying that occasionally older textured inlays have been damaged when over labels were removed, but I’m honestly not sure I believe it. Those old Paulson textured inlays are durable as helll. So I wouldn’t say your 100% safe, but I’ll go 99%
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/gear-does-some-impressive-work.93919/

1714945898034.png

No the textured inlays do not show through the overlabel. The residue while removable sucks ass when you have to rub with your fingers 2000 times for a 10 rack set. Took me 2 weeks and there’s still residual stickiness on some surfaces. Any sticker will destroy hotstamps. My whole recent experience has left me unwilling to overlabel anything ever again.

1714946318958.jpeg

Round 2.

Also make sure your vintage chips aren’t so worn down that the overlabel creates spinners from the added thickness. There needs to be good inlay recess depth.

Thanks all! I think overlabel it is. Can always be reversed if I change directions!

lol, well I guess I just wanted to know if a label over a textured inlay would work in general. I think for me, rubbing sticker residue (if it even ever comes to that) would be better than removing these old paper inlays, given how little free time I can dedicate. I tried one and it’s quite shitty lol. Big respect for those who have it in them! Plus, if I change direction then someone else will still be able to use them in their original form.

I just want to get these in play. My feelings of overlabeling may change though. That’s a problem for future me xD

Label over will work in general.

The problems I've had with removing an overlabel and ripping out the original laminate underneath have happened when dealing with smooth laminate, not textured laminate (IIRC).

BEST results always come with full inlay removal and replacement with laminated labels, BAR NONE, and it's not even close, and I've had/done both.

The laminate finishes the look of the label, really and truly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom