Plastic decks: Wearing out your welcome (1 Viewer)

Flopalopagus

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi all - Other than wanting to try a new deck, when is a good time to rotate out decks (plastic)? Usually I choose based on what I’m in the mood to play with but I’m interested in when you all think that a plastic deck wears out it’s welcome.

lol! Same here. Except for changing mid-session. At best I’m willing to change when we switch from a tournament to a cash game during a night. Otherwise people have to suffer with the card gods swooping and pooping on them for the session.

My sets generally get used for multiple 6 hour sessions.

I change out a deck when -

1. I detect a warp. A little warp, fine. But there is only so much you can take =) Bridge size decks suffer this earlier.
2. The colors fade. For cards with boxes in their number cards like Modiano, the fine black line tends to wear out first.
3. You get dents or marks on the surface that can be from marking or inadvertent wear. I notice this on my COPAGS.

My sets generally get used for multiple 6 hour sessions.

I change out a deck when -

1. I detect a warp. A little warp, fine. But there is only so much you can take =) Bridge size decks suffer this earlier.
2. The colors fade. For cards with boxes in their number cards like Modiano, the fine black line tends to wear out first.
3. You get dents or marks on the surface that can be from marking or inadvertent wear. I notice this on my COPAGS.
That makes sense. I’m starting to deal with #2 on my favorite deck of desjgns. Not a big deal yet but that’s part of what made me ask the question.

That makes sense. I’m starting to deal with #2 on my favorite deck of desjgns. Not a big deal yet but that’s part of what made me ask the question.
I use 2 decks simultaneously for faster hands. Our regular dealer is called the Octopus because of how she handles two decks so easily. She deals out the hand before she begins clearing the old deck =)

Before every game, I first check the setup I’m using to make sure neither is missing any cards.

I do this not by ordering them ace through king, but by sorting them by rank (the four aces together, the four 2s, four threes, etc.).

While doing this I am looking at the faces for signs of fading, scuffing, dings, edgemarks or other wear.

I then flip them over and do the same for the backs.

It is important to have good lighting and also to view the cards not just straight on but from an angle, since some dings and marks are only seen obliquely.

Any card which can be identified by marks, fading or other wear I replace from a backup setup.

The checking process takes me maybe 6-8 minutes total for two decks.

I mark the box for one setup as the replacement deck from which spare cards are taken. If you’re lucky, the same card won’t get messed up for a long time so the two setups last longer. But eventually you’ll either need a third setup or two switch to some different cards entirely.

If the cards are all worn to an equal degree (e.g. fading of ink on the back) so that you can’t use it to identify cards, they can still be used; but I do like to replace them once noticeably worn.

Since moving away from cheaper plastics, fading and other overall wear is much less and much slower. I used to use plastic Hoyles, which were cheap but got easily dinged and also faded quickly on the backs. This was a problem for replacing cards, since the ink on a replacement would look much fresher than the rest of the scuffed pack and be easily spotted by anyone looking for it.

The two Faded Spade (3.0, four color, poker sized) setups which I’m currently using have been used in about 7 games so far. I’ve had to discard only two cards due to dings, and there is zero scuffing/fading. The dings were on random low/middling cards and probably came from someone aggressively peeling back their hand with a card protector on them. Unfortunately the FS 3.0s are sold out, and they seem to be about to issue new cards, so I don’t have a third setup to continue if necessary…

Last edited:
Before the game, does anyone check the decks to make sure the cards are correct?

1724674246994.png

Last edited:
When I’m putting everything away from a hosted game, I always go through the two decks and sort the cards Ace through King for each suit, and check for any marks before putting the cards away. But I don’t rotate through setups very often. We don’t play frequently enough to justify new cards all the time. Me and my players love Desjgn cards, though. Two people even commented how nice the cards feel the last time we played.

I do have an old Kem setup that we used for a long time and was starting to fade. We don’t use them to play poker anymore, but I won’t throw it away because we can always use it to play family card games.

Does anyone check the decks to make sure the cards are correct?

View attachment 1379067
This is called 'spading the deck'

Typically, if a setup is taken out of play a lot of people will keep a few on hand, so that if a new setup is damaged, they can replace a card or two from a slightly used deck.

This is called 'spading the deck'

Typically, if a setup is taken out of play a lot of people will keep a few on hand, so that if a new setup is damaged, they can replace a card or two from a slightly used deck.
Never thought of that idea! That’s a good one.

When I’m putting everything away from a hosted game, I always go through the two decks and sort the cards Ace through King for each suit, and check for any marks before putting the cards away. But I don’t rotate through setups very often. We don’t play frequently enough to justify new cards all the time. Me and my players love Desjgn cards, though. Two people even commented how nice the cards feel the last time we played.

I do have an old Kem setup that we used for a long time and was starting to fade. We don’t use them to play poker anymore, but I won’t throw it away because we can always use it to play family card games.
I do almost the exact same thing except that I haven’t checked the cards for dings. I will now though. Good call!

Before every game, I first check the setup I’m using to make sure neither is missing any cards.

I do this not by ordering them ace through king, but by sorting them by rank (the four aces together, the four 2s, four threes, etc.).

While doing this I am looking at the faces for signs of fading, scuffing, dings, edgemarks or other wear.

I then flip them over and do the same for the backs.

It is important to have good lighting and also to view the cards not just straight on but from an angle, since some dings and marks are only seen obliquely.

Any card which can be identified by marks, fading or other wear I replace from a backup setup.

The checking process takes me maybe 6-8 minutes total for two decks.

I mark the box for one setup as the replacement deck from which spare cards are taken. If you’re lucky, the same card won’t get messed up for a long time so the two setups last longer. But eventually you’ll either need a third setup or two switch to some different cards entirely.

If the cards are all worn to an equal degree (e.g. fading of ink on the back) so that you can’t use it to identify cards, they can still be used; but I do like to replace them once noticeably worn.

Since moving away from cheaper plastics, fading and other overall wear is much less and much slower. I used to use plastic Hoyles, which were cheap but got easily dinged and also faded quickly on the backs. This was a problem for replacing cards, since the ink on a replacement would look much fresher than the rest of the scuffed pack and be easily spotted by anyone looking for it.

The two Faded Spade (3.0, four color, poker sized) setups which I’m currently using have been used in about 7 games so far. I’ve had to discard only two cards due to dings, and there is zero scuffing/fading. The dings were on random low/middling cards and probably came from someone aggressively peeling back their hand with a card protector on them. Unfortunately the FS 3.0s are sold out, and they seem to be about to issue new cards, so I don’t have a third setup to continue if necessary…
I also like the idea of sorting occasionally by value and doing the flip over. That’s a good one and I may incorporate that in. I don’t swap out very often. Sometimes I just rotate decks for stuffs and giggles.

I also love the Desjgn Flourish as my favorite deck! I need another set or 2 actually. That’s the one that is beginning to fade.

I once requested a setup be changed because they smelt like piss. It was like the host took the cards and dipped them in a bucket of piss and then let them sit in the heat for a few hours before tabling them. It was very nauseating.

I also love the Desjgn Flourish as my favorite deck! I need another set or 2 actually. That’s the one that is beginning to fade.
We used the four color deck for the first time Friday night. They thought they were fine. No one seemed to love or hate them. So I chalk that up as a win.

we used them once as well. One of my players is color blind. With him included everyone was very “whatever” about them. I was ok with them, but they are more stiff compared to the flourish.

Agreed. I always check to make sure all of the cards are present. I put them in order after each session. I just haven’t spent time checking for marks. I trust the people that im playing with but I will check next time just to be correct.

Trust is good and the reason is not always intentional. It is possible to accidentally lose one card or something like that. When the number of cards is checked before the start, we have time to correct the situation. Otherwise, while the cards are on display, everyone can jointly notice if there are any marks on the cards. Often the traces come by accident.

We used the four color deck for the first time Friday night. They thought they were fine. No one seemed to love or hate them. So I chalk that up as a win.
I personally prefer four color decks, but most of my players don't like them. My favorite are the Faded Spade 3.0 four color decks.

New set up every game. Open it in front of the players at the beginning of the game.
I agree with this if you are playing for alot of money

I wish my players cared enough to follow this rule we dont play for much money but still love this

Proofed and checked after each game, spread before every game starts. When I'm changing a deck is usually 1. when a card is damaged 2. when plastic cards start to get 'grubby' and the riffles get stiff and also 3. when the backs start to fleck or fade

Attachments

• ARIA GALA TABLE GATEHOOSE.jpg
    ARIA GALA TABLE GATEHOOSE.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 17
Hi all - Other than wanting to try a new deck, when is a good time to rotate out decks (plastic)? Usually I choose based on what I’m in the mood to play with but I’m interested in when you all think that a plastic deck wears out it’s welcome.
When the cards are sticking, the faces are starting to get cracked, and I missed all my draws the game before. Then, goodbye sweet deck.

I like my cards flat and clean so I probably rotate out sooner than others. KEM is my preferred card but don’t seem to like being left anywhere in hot weather so I need to be careful. Opening a crispy deck is always nice tho.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom