Cash Game Play a game with me (1 Viewer)

Mojo1312

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
$5/$10 Limit Hold-em and Omaha-hi. Guess which chip is $5.
20221104_192612.jpg

I think that’s somebody’s stack. I don’t think they’re playing very deep.

It is a limit game. Players generally buy-in for $100. There is a set amount of chips in play. When a player busts and wants to come back in to the game , he will buy a barrel of chips from one of the larger stacks at the table.

A player is allowed to pull chips from the pot when he is "light" (can't cover the bet). Each chip pulled is an I.O.U. that he needs to pay back to whoever wins the pot,

Granted, the set up is outdated by today's standard, but long before the poker boom, people would play cards around the kitchen table using plastic chips and paper Bicycle cards. Hero cares little as long as the game is profitable and the players friendly, then again, Hero could have his priorities mixed up.

One of the stand-out features of this game is Dean. Dean is lean and stands 6'5. What makes Dean noteworthy, outside of his stature, is his age. At 79, dean is unquestionably one of the best poker players Hero has played against since moving here in 2014.

His mind is sharp, his attention all encompassing and he is a quick at measuring up players at the poker table.

Last night Dean and Kenny, who is also a winning player, started a kitty. Whenever one would win a pot $100 or less in size, he would put $10 into a bucket seated between them, on pots greater than $100, $20 would go into the bucket. The first half of the evening Dean was the dominant winner at the table. Kenny won two or three hands early on, but the pots were small and spaced out. At which point Kenny started missing his draws or getting caught with second best. Mid-way through the game, he was down $300. Then Kenny ran hot, smashing the board, connecting with his straights, making full houses and winning with flush over flush. By evening's end, he and Dean had $800 in the kitty, which they split 50/50. Kenny won $575 for the night, Dean $600. Hero trailed behind, finishing up $480. The rest of the table lost, with the exception of the host, who managed to break even.

Dean doesn't say much at the table. His eyes are too busy following the action to engage others in conversation. Hero is on a mission to get to know him better by finding out his background and card history. What did he do for a career? Is he a limit only player? Is he a stud player? Does he play hi-lo?

No doubt, having a nice poker table with built in cup holders and comfy chairs along with a set of Paulsons and plastic acetate playing cards adds to the atmosphere, however, at the end of the day, the game of poker is and always will be about the players, not the surrounding accouterments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom