Rules on calling the clock (26 Viewers)

5Bet

Waiting List
Reaction score
A common issue my home game runs into is when it’s an appropriate time to call the clock and who is allowed to call the clock.

We only have one player who sucks the clock down on big pivotal plays and when the clock is called on him he always wants to dispute the justification for the clock being called. I understand being emotionally involved in the hand, but it’s not fair to the other players to feel intimated to call the clock because someone else is going to get pissy. The issue is “don’t call the clock if you’re not in the hand” verses “everyone is suffering the timer going off because you’re sucking out the timer and causing the blinds to go up”

We have a set of house rules, but they don’t cover the clock so my questions are:

-When is it considered common practice to call the clock?

-Are you allowed to call the clock if you’re not in the hand, but you do have chips?

-Does the host who represents “The House” have the authority to call the clock if their not in the hand?

-Does being in the hand even matter since the timer impacts every player in a tournament considering the blinds go up?

Thank you.

TD rules state that Tournament Director (the house in your case?) may call the clock or, any player in the event, who is at their seat, may call the clock.

Sounds like time of the clock is at your discretion but I think 25 seconds with a 5 second count down is standard. Hand is folded after time expires and tie goes to the player.

Sounds like Mr. Indecisive needs his wife to come make the decisions for him…

In my opinion, and if it was my game, as the host I’d tell him to shit or get off the pot, flip a coin, set his own timer, do whatever you need to but stop wasting peoples time. It’s clear he’s taking long enough he’s causing an issue And if he gets defensive I’d tell him to put his big boy panties on next time, people wanna play poker.

Obviously, when a player is taking too long. It’s situational of course. Tanking over a huge decision on a big pot is different than deciding to call a limp preflop.
-Are you allowed to call the clock if you’re not in the hand, but you do have chips?
Again, all players should have situational awareness. Big decision, give them some time. Little decision, let’s go. Cash and tourneys are separate entities for blinds and timer reasons. Players not in the hand can call a clock but it is very arduous territory. Our crew knows that they have to right but the house would normally do everything possible to make sure all parties needs are being met. If a player is ready to call a clock they also know that the gentle nudging and eventual request for a decision is immediately around the corner from the house.
-Does the host who represents “The House” have the authority to call the clock if they’re not in the hand?
I’d say yes but it’s not something I do. We play cash games exclusively so it’s not apples and apples. If it were a tournament I’d apprise all players to be mindful of long trips to the tank simply because of the timer and the blinds.
-Does being in the hand even matter since the timer impacts every player in a tournament considering the blinds go up?
In a tourney, calling the clock should be covered before the start so players are mindful of the time they take and know that it’s acceptable to call the clock on someone.

We don’t call many of any clocks at Godfather Club. It’s a cash game mind you but as dealer I drive the action, mainly for those who get a little distracted, but also gesture and imply to players in the tank that we’re mindful of both the decision they’re working on and the fact that we’re anxiously awaiting that decision.

I will suggest you to introduce time bank chips, so everyone have a fixed amount of time to make decisions and there will be no need for discussion regarding calling clock

IMG_7491.jpeg

A common issue my home game runs into is when it’s an appropriate time to call the clock
This seems like a problem. Have you thought about instituting a shot clock? I don't play a lot of home game tournaments, but I dont have the sense that tanking is normally a problem.

And to answer your question, no, you don't have to be in the hand.

A common issue my home game runs into is when it’s an appropriate time to call the clock and who is allowed to call the clock.

We only have one player who sucks the clock down on big pivotal plays and when the clock is called on him he always wants to dispute the justification for the clock being called. I understand being emotionally involved in the hand, but it’s not fair to the other players to feel intimated to call the clock because someone else is going to get pissy. The issue is “don’t call the clock if you’re not in the hand” verses “everyone is suffering the timer going off because you’re sucking out the timer and causing the blinds to go up”

We have a set of house rules, but they don’t cover the clock so my questions are:

-Does the host who represents “The House” have the authority to call the clock if their not in the hand?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Brother I've experienced the same problem at the home game I attend. It sounds like in your situation there needs to be communication with whole group and get everyone on the same page, for whatever that means or feels right for your group. WSOP Rules are that any participant is allowed to call the clock if they feel that other participants are impeding progress of the game. It used to be after a "reasonable amount of time" which was considered two minutes, but they changed it back in 2017 to leave it up to players on what feels reasonable. I don't think you have to follow WSOP, but I think if your problem player is fighting it, it's worth noting that they've set a precedent if you needed an official voice or guidance for your group. Good luck!

I’ve played in a game that if clock was called, and it was rare, you had to show your cards after the hand was over, win, lose, or fold on the next streets. It let people know that bullshit stalling to run out a clock or just to be grandstanding with a double gapped inside straight draw to a double paired board was going to get called out.
It just sounds imho that your player has something else going on. Wants attention, frustrated over never hitting long shots, believes it should always be like it is on TV, something.

Tournament play anyone who has chips should be able to call clock.

It affects the small stacks the most. It's a big deal having the clock wind down with only a few blinds remaining.

I've been in games where host compromised and paused the tourney timer when it was final table. Prevented small stacks from getting blinded out.

Not the best solution imo but prevented a fragile ego from getting pissy.

In my experience these sorts of players aren't fun to play with. I would allow everyone dealt in to call the clock, 60 sec timer with a 10 second countdown.

But whatever makes the group and you happy. Ballance out the feelings of 1 player vs keeping your group and yourself happy.

I will suggest you to introduce time bank chips, so everyone have a fixed amount of time to make decisions and there will be no need for discussion regarding calling clock

View attachment 1394821
Wouldn't these only work if there's like a 60 second shot clock going the second the action was on a player? Also, how much time does that then buy for the player?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom