Stages of Chipaholics (2 Viewers)

potatolei

Two Pair
Reaction score
I was talking to my friends about poker chips and this forumn and they joking suggested that I needed an intervention. I replied that I'm only stage 2 chipaholic and it doesnt get serious until stage 3. I was then thinking about what the other stages of chipaholicsm were and I came up with this list:

Stage 1: Creating a username and posting on PCF

Stage 2: Ordering chips that haven't arrived yet, and ordering more chips. You understand all acronyms by this point, and PCF is the first website you visit in the morning.

Stage 3: Spending more on chips in a month than rent. Constantly refreshing the Classifieds page.

Stage 4: Every room in your home has chips in them and your friends and family are growing concerned. You no longer keep track of what you spend on chips.

Stage 5: ?

What do you guys think the other stages are? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Last edited:
Stage 5: you have more nail polish remover (non acetone of course) than your wife and get annoyed when she takes it.
IMG_0521.jpeg

There’s so many stages and sub stages we could get into. Like stage 2. Reread offer, check bank account, depression, excitement after deciding you’ll just eat peanut butter and jelly for the next few weeks to make up the difference, recheck bank account, order, excitement, depression coated with excitement while you wait, etc…

I’d elaborate more but I’m feeling faint from my current stage of depressive waiting…

Movie Reaction GIF

There’s so many stages and sub stages we could get into. Like stage 2. Reread offer, check bank account, depression, excitement after deciding you’ll just eat peanut butter and jelly for the next few weeks to make up the difference, recheck bank account, order, excitement, depression coated with excitement while you wait, etc…

I’d elaborate more but I’m feeling faint from my current stage of depressive waiting…

Movie Reaction GIF
Yeah, I'm feeling the same after my 09/2024 group buy order this morning. 3 month wait to go..
Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

Last edited:
I was talking to my friends about poker chips and this forumn and they joking suggested that I needed an intervention. I replied that I'm only stage 2 chipaholic and it doesnt get serious until stage 3. I was then thinking about what the other stages of chipaholicsm were and I came up with this list:

Stage 1: Creating a username and posting on PCF

Stage 2: Ordering chips that haven't arrived yet, and ordering more chips. You understand all acronyms by this point, and PCF is the first website you visit in the morning.

Stage 3: Spending more on chips in a month than rent. Constantly refreshing the Classifieds page.

Stage 4: Every room in your home has chips in them and your friends and family are growing concerned. You no longer keep track of what you spend on chips.

Stage 5: ?

What do you guys think the other stages are? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.
This was something I shared 2 months after joining PCF.

Thread 'I Finally Figured Out Why We Buy & Buy & Buy Chips' https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/i-finally-figured-out-why-we-buy-buy-buy-chips.105354/

There needs to be a Step 2: "I just want to upgrade from my dice chips. I'll take a look at the China clays, or possibly some custom Tina hybrids."

I guess if you’re tracking it on a spreadsheet you could eventually come out even if you overpaid by doing this. But you must of course actually find a buyer

Well, overall I don’t think I've overpaid for most of the chips I end up keeping because I'm a patient guy, but I also haven't found a lot of fantastic deals, either. I've really always paid "market price", and it's always steadily gone up except maybe now where we're at more of a plateau. I've seen people overpay, though, but mostly because they're impatient or FOMO.

Well, overall I don’t think I've overpaid for most of the chips I end up keeping because I'm a patient guy, but I also haven't found a lot of fantastic deals, either. I've really always paid "market price", and it's always steadily gone up except maybe now where we're at more of a plateau. I've seen people overpay, though, but mostly because they're impatient or FOMO.
For sure I’ve seen lots of people overpay. I’ve overplayed for stuff knowing I have, but at least I knew and that’s what it is. But to be honest the only real deals I’ve ever gotten came in PM’s. Either people selling at “friend” prices or super nice (friends) who I chatted with looking out for good deals.

FOMO especially in some of the TCR sales has definitely made and lost people a lot of money though

I wrote this a while back

Was thinking about it just for fun, and here’s my chipper/chipaholic scale:

1 - you’ve bought your Tina/TCR/CPC/1st set and yet you still browse PCF

2 - you play only cash games 95% of the time and yet you want a tournament set for “security” since the group you play with has only been friends for 20 years (or vice versa)

3 - you collect sample sets, dealer buttons, and/or multiple single chip card cappers (+0.5 if they’re in a plastic case)

4 - you want multiple sets so you can rotate them

6 - you have spent time overlabeling

7 - you have oiled/baked chips and read 20 pages about it

8 - you have murdered/relabeled chips

9 - you have built a perfect custom set for which you spent hours removing the original labels, then found racks with marginally better colors/edgespots and replaced perfectly fine chips with slightly better ones

10 - despite painstakingly creating your perfect custom set in #9, you want more

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom