The Official Mail Showcase Thread (poker related) (107 Viewers)

Those Luxor’s are great. I’m hell bent on Paris $1. Got any fun $20/$25 and $100 ideas.
Dunes baccarat $20s? Better than Dunes $25 imo, but understandable if you want to stick strictly to Dunes staying in your Dunes set. I’m pretty clueless when it comes to more contemporary Vegas $20s and higher, so can’t be much help there.
Those Bellagio ones look amazing. Are those live chips?
Yes, they are live.

When I hosted my first game almost 15 years ago, I was using super diamond chips and Bicycle paper cards. One of my players mentioned that I should look up Paulsons, and in short order I upgraded to '05 CDI chips. The chips didn't stop there, but that's not the focus of this mail day. The other thing that became immediately clear to me was that I needed to upgrade from paper cards. I didn't know much about plastic cards at the time, and so far as I could tell there were Kems and Copags. Copags were cheaper so those became my cards for a few years. Plastic is plastic, right? I was fortunate enough to not run into ink bleeding, fading, or chipping issues, but the cards would occasionally get marked. I now suspect this was due to the poor card capping technique that @Irish and @MatB previously identified. Eventually I switched to a setup of Modiano Platinum regular index cards, and those carried me through to my little poker hiatus.

Now that I'm getting back into things, I need cards if I'm going to host. I've still got the Modiano Platinums, but I'm afraid that my eyes (and the eyes of my contemporaries) haven't aged as well as those regular index cards. I started searching for bridge decks, preferably with a jumbo (or blackjack or whatever Faded Spade calls theirs) index. @buffalojim had a perfectly timed sale that allowed me to scope out a handful of varieties. These arrived last Monday, and allowed me to get a feel for what I like:

IMG_6320.JPG

I also ordered some Desjgn cards, and stumbled on these new Kem Arrow bridge cards with jumbo index for $20. Kems aren't really on my radar due to warping concerns, but for $20 I'll crack them open before a game sometime, store them in the appropriate Kem ritualistic manner, and hope for the best:

IMG_6321.JPG

That brings me to yesterday's mail, which I was really looking forward to. I've heard good things about the Guild cards, and although I don't hear much about Piatnik everything I hear is good:

IMG_6322.JPG

I already have opinions about all of the cards, and I might even try to gather some quantitative and qualitative information about them. With any luck I'll be able to put together a decent bridge size playing card database for PCF.

Last edited:
When I hosted my first game almost 15 years ago, I was using super diamond chips and Bicycle paper cards. One of my players mentioned that I should look up Paulsons, and in short order I upgraded to '05 CDI chips. The chips didn't stop there, but that's not the focus of this mail day. The other thing that became immediately clear to me was that I needed to upgrade from paper cards. I didn't know much about plastic cards at the time, and so far as I could tell there were Kems and Copags. Copags were cheaper so those became my cards for a few years. Plastic is plastic, right? I was fortunate enough to not run into ink bleeding, fading, or chipping issues, but the cards would occasionally get marked. I now suspect this was due to the poor card capping technique that @Irish and @MatB previously identified. Eventually I switched to a setup of Modiano Platinum regular index cards, and those carried me through to my little poker hiatus.

Now that I'm getting back into things, I need cards if I'm going to host. I've still got the Modiano Platinums, but I'm afraid that my eyes (and the eyes of my contemporaries) haven't aged as well as those regular index cards. I started searching for bridge decks, preferably with a jumbo (or blackjack or whatever Faded Spade calls theirs) index. @buffalojim had a perfectly timed sale that allowed me to scope out a handful of varieties. These arrived last Monday, and allowed me to get a feel for what I like:

View attachment 1080373

I also ordered some Desjgn cards, and stumbled on these new Kem Arrow bridge cards with jumbo index for $20. Kem's aren't really on my radar due to warping concerns, but for $20 I'll crack them open before a game sometime, store them in the appropriate Kem ritualistic manner, and hope for the best:

View attachment 1080374

That brings me to yesterday's mail, which I was really looking forward to. I've heard good things about the Guild cards, and although I don't hear much about Piatnik everything I hear is good:

View attachment 1080375

I already have opinions about all of the cards, and I might even try to gather some qualitative information about them. With any luck I'll be able to put together a decent bridge size playing card database for PCF.
I would recommend seeking out some of the Statesman cards, I think they're really nice. The font is a little different but the cards feel great.

I would recommend seeking out some of the Statesman cards, I think they're really nice. The font is a little different but the cards feel great.
I would add them into my rotation too if the colors were different. I think Dan is making another run with different colors. Love the feel of them, just can't stand brown cards or chips

View attachment 1080375

I already have opinions about all of the cards, and I might even try to gather some qualitative information about them. With any luck I'll be able to put together a decent bridge size playing card database for PCF.

After having them in play for several years, I put my Guild setups into the upper card echelon along with Fournier & Modiano (and certain Desjgn stock). They're beautiful cards that feel great and handle incredibly well.

After having them in play for several years, I put my Guild setups into the upper card echelon along with Fournier & Modiano (and certain Desjgn stock). They're beautiful cards that feel great and handle incredibly well.
Guild use to be cheaper, but now I can't find a setup for less than $27. If someone knows where I can get them, please PM me. Bridge Jumbo. Don't post it publicly because I need to get them before everyone else. :wtf:

Guild use to be cheaper, but now I can't find a setup for less than $27. If someone knows where I can get them, please PM me. Bridge Jumbo. Don't post it publicly because I need to get them before everyone else. :wtf:
Aside from the initial pre-release discount (something like buy 1 get 1 half off), these were $25 a setup shipped when I bought them back in 2016. Most setups are in this price range nowadays, I wouldn't bat an eye at that price. My 2¢ worth....

They're Modiano Elements stock per the card database. Which is interesting because I don't recall the Elements being cellulose acetate as the Guilds claim to be. Either way, they're great cards that are worth the price. $27 to $30ish dollars is the going rate now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom