Why does everybody use expensive decks? (5 Viewers)

Plastic is absolutely a big step up over paper. More durable, won't mark as easily, won't be destroyed by contact with water, and feels better to shuffle. That being said, you can find more than satisfactory plastics at $5 and under per deck, and if you're playing once a week they should last a long time. All my paper cards seem to pick up nicks/frayed edges and I hate how stiff they are. As the price continues to go up you get heavily diminishing returns, so if you're budget minded I'd stop at the $5 plastics and call it good enough. It's the same reason I'd tell people on a budget to get chips 1 tier above non-denominated dice chips, it's the biggest relative step up in functionality/quality while still being a low enough price that diminishing returns haven't kicked in yet. Sure paper cards and dice chips are plenty usable to play poker, but on a forum for hobbyists people are naturally going to focus on higher quality.

Last edited:
I'll add that when I replaced a paper deck with a plastic one for my group (without mentioning anything), almost everyone immediately noticed the difference in feel.

Plastic jus shuffles better and has a better flex overall than paper. The difference just based on touch alone is alr rather obvious and hard to miss and almost guaranteed to be better

I really like the plastic Broken Arrow cards I broke open for the last game. $7.50 a setup + $5.60 shipping

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/broken-arrow-setups-bridge-size.115003/
I ordered a set of these very recently to give them a try.
I'm in for one. Thanks for posting. I was eyeing the Bridge Standard index copags on sale at the poker store but honestly too many decks for me and would have preferred jumbo index.

However, If there is someone interested in these and didn't want/need the full 12 set ups. I would be down to pay for 3 of them + shipping and get them reshipped: https://www.thepokerstore.com/colle...neoteric-green-red-bridge-size-standard-index

Get samples. ;)
Can you get samples from the manufacturer or are you referring to keeping an eye on the classifieds for samples? I have thought about making the jump to higher quality cards from Copags, but do not want to spend $20+ on a deck that I may not like the feel of and will end up collecting dust.

At the end of the first page and haven't noticed anyone mention that Copag will replace damaged cards. I'm not a fan of the feel of Copag, but, I play in a couple of games where that's all they use because of this warranty. I believe one, or two, of the others do this as well. That can make buying a more expensive deck a smarter buy in the long run.

At the end of the first page and haven't noticed anyone mention that Copag will replace damaged cards. I'm not a fan of the feel of Copag, but, I play in a couple of games where that's all they use because of this warranty. I believe one, or two, of the others do this as well. That can make buying a more expensive deck a smarter buy in the long run.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Shoot me a pm with the title of "cards" and I'll send you a couple of decks. I have some of the 12 or 13 wsop decks. A couple of other selections as well. Most of mine are poker, jumbo with the exception of the above mentioned wsop cards, which are bridge, normal pip.

Agreed, Copag USA customer service has been great! They've replaced a damaged card, damaged cut card, broken logo clip that goes in between the decks, etc.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the information.
https://www.copagusa.com/collections/plastic-card-replacement-request

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom