Why is baseball the best sport on the planet? Discuss. (3 Viewers)

I was among the dozens of fans
0A712BCB-472B-4BF4-B273-33CF102FF8B5.jpeg

The Mets pay $50 Million this year to these non-roster players:

Robinson Cano $21 Million
James McCann $11 Million
Eduardo Escobar $9 Million
Chris Flexen $4 Million
Darin Ruf $3 Million
Bobby Bonilla $1.3 Million (Until he's 72)
Tommy Hunter $700K
Brett Saberhagen $250K (Last played with Mets in 1995)

OMG
More… scherzer gets $30m from them too, verlander $25m

Every year the Yankees collapse in June or July. It’s like clockwork. Giancarlo Stanton getting hurt is as reliable as the summer solstice.

Fire everyone. Fire Cashman, Boone, the hitting coach, and anyone in the training staff. Walk them out today, put them on a bus, fuck these people.

Chippy offered me a Yankees vs Orioles bet back when NYY was up 4 or 5 games and I immediately told him no mas, the Yankees will falter shortly. Voila, here we are.

Maybe they don’t like hot weather. Maybe their starters only have 2 good months every season and they should hold them back from playing until August. Maybe Aaron Judge just single handedly carries them through May every year and there is nobody to hand off to.

Every fucking year. Fire everyone.

Every year the Yankees collapse in June or July. It’s like clockwork. Giancarlo Stanton getting hurt is as reliable as the summer solstice.

Fire everyone. Fire Cashman, Boone, the hitting coach, and anyone in the training staff. Walk them out today, put them on a bus, fuck these people.

Chippy offered me a Yankees vs Orioles bet back when NYY was up 4 or 5 games and I immediately told him no mas, the Yankees will falter shortly. Voila, here we are.

Maybe they don’t like hot weather. Maybe their starters only have 2 good months every season and they should hold them back from playing until August. Maybe Aaron Judge just single handedly carries them through May every year and there is nobody to hand off to.

Every fucking year. Fire everyone.
Hey, they gained a whole game in the AL east yesterday ..

the Yanks are .590 and 10-15% to win the series

I thought SEC football expectations were the most absurdly unrealistic but this rivals it. And I am seeing this take everywhere it’s not just you, must to be brutal to work for that team and put up with the fanbase

I thought SEC football expectations were the most absurdly unrealistic but this rivals it. And I am seeing this take everywhere it’s not just you, must to be brutal to work for that team and put up with the fanbase
I’ll happily give you 20-1 they don’t win the World Series (conditional on Boone being the manager throughout the season).

If they’re 15% to win the World Series, or a football team, you pick which one, is 15% to win a Super Bowl, and they don’t even come close for 15 years, at which point do you stop saying “gee they run bad” and start saying “gee, they’re flawed and the 15% is wildly inaccurate in the final analysis?”.

Worst record in baseball since early June. Worst run differential. They run hot the first 2 orbits and then punt for 6 hours. You tell me how that ends.

I’m not being a hater. I’m just being realistic.

The Yankees fans expect more than a winning record. Any season without at least WS appearance is a failure. That’s the bar that’s been set for a long, long time with this franchise and what they spend.

The Yankees fans expect more than a winning record. Any season without at least WS appearance is a failure. That’s the bar that’s been set for a long, long time with this franchise and what they spend.
I mean, they've won 1 WS in the 21st century. (and yes, this is a correct statement -- look it up if you think I'm wrong).

Hmmm, been reading this thread since it started. IMO, one aspect is being overlooked here:

It seems to me -- from the vantage point of old age -- that the "best sport on the planet" would be something you could actually participate in, as opposed to sitting your fat ass in a chair with a beer in your hand and watching on TV. It would be one that you could look forward to playing for your entire life.

How many baseball, football, or even basketball leagues have you heard of explicitly for players over 80? 70? 60? 50? Even 40?

Now down here in our area of Florida, we have organized tennis leagues with dedicated age group divisions in five year divisions from 50 through 80. with over 5,000 male (Suncoast) and 5,000 female (Tri-Cities) players. The same is true at lower numbers for pickleball and {shudder} golf.

I have a 91-year-old friend who scampers around the tennis court like a bunny rabbit four days a week. Another who at 81 has been top three in the world, singles and doubles, in every age group since 50. There are over 500 players ages 50 and up (including my wife) in my neighborhood tennis club who are out there sweating and banging the ball four to seven mornings every week on 20 courts. There's never an available court before 11am, and that's only in the FL summer, The rest of the year it's 12:30.

Those are my current sports heroes. I could junk TV, but I couldn't do without them. :cool

Hmmm, been reading this thread since it started. IMO, one aspect is being overlooked here:

It seems to me -- from the vantage point of old age -- that the "best sport on the planet" would be something you could actually participate in, as opposed to sitting your fat ass in a chair with a beer in your hand and watching on TV. It would be one that you could look forward to playing for your entire life.

How many baseball, football, or even basketball leagues have you heard of explicitly for players over 80? 70? 60? 50? Even 40?

Now down here in our area of Florida, we have organized tennis leagues with dedicated age group divisions in five year divisions from 50 through 80. with over 5,000 male (Suncoast) and 5,000 female (Tri-Cities) players. The same is true at lower numbers for pickleball and {shudder} golf.

I have a 91-year-old friend who scampers around the tennis court like a bunny rabbit four days a week. Another who at 81 has been top three in the world, singles and doubles, in every age group since 50. There are over 500 players ages 50 and up (including my wife) in my neighborhood tennis club who are out there sweating and banging the ball four to seven mornings every week on 20 courts. There's never an available court before 11am, and that's only in the FL summer, The rest of the year it's 12:30.

Those are my current sports heroes. I could junk TV, but I couldn't do without them. :cool
I umpire with people in their 60's and 70's, and they still have a love for the game, and are involved with it. You don't have to play to be involved.

I mean if the point is which sports are played the longest but the oldest aged demographics, then I guess we just pull data and diagrams that highlight things like income and ethnicity? Because what wins that question is going to specifically be people in good health, with free time at their hands, living in an area with access to support structures and amenities that support their chosen leisure/athletic disciplines - which prob ties into some specific demographics.

It’s just a personal experience, but my favorite league I ever played in (basketball) was an old man Jewish league that I got a pass to play in somehow. Was fantastic and there were a lot of similar around - then again that was Indiana where basketball was much more prevalent in olden days.

I’ve 100% been looking into getting into tennis. I love love love love playing and beg my wife when we travel to play with me at resorts as it’s my only opp. Hoping the next home has a court or we build one. But, swimming, bowling, shooting hoops, biking, shooting, pool, darts, racing, golf, etc. would all seem to be just as if easy on the body/age as tennis.

I’ve 100% been looking into getting into tennis. I love love love love playing and beg my wife when we travel to play with me at resorts as it’s my only opp.
Well if you make it down to SQM in February, Mark is a regular tennis player too, and I'd bet something can be arranged at our club, for both you and your wife (my wife is a regular player too).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom