Would you rather own 1 Grail set or 10 nice sets? (1 Viewer)

Would you rather own one “grail” set or ten different sets?

• I’d rather own one set worth $10,000

Votes: 61 62.9%
  • I’d rather own ten sets worth a combined $10,000

Votes: 36 37.1%

• Total voters

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Edit - The numbers don’t need to be exact - I’m really just trying to figure out how many people would choose a single great set over a bunch of good ones. And Grail can be defined loosely- doesn’t have to be the top .1% of sets. But man, if you guys can’t be happy with a $10k set . . .

I’m sure there are plenty of people who would find some third option, and feel free to elaborate below; I'm curious. But for poll simplicity, imagine you just won a prize and you get to choose box A or box B -

Box A contains your favorite grail set worth $10,000

Box B contains ten sets you’d want to keeps and play - maybe a combination of clays and ceramics or hybrids or whatever you can imagine, but 10 great sets that all together are worth $10,000

For me, this is a no brainer. But I think I might have a different perspective than the majority here.
Curious to see how much of a minority I’m in.

Last edited:
I don’t think any of my sets are grail or great but I have some nice ones. I tend to look for value so I’d probably never have a grail set.

Kinda tough. If the grail set could do a lot of different things I’d go for that. Like if you had 10 racks of $1’s or $5’s for limit and enough high demon to do tourney with it.

I much prefer and have multiple great sets, and they mostly tick different boxes for me (no ceramics or hybrids though LOL). I’d get a bit bored playing with just one set, no matter how great it is. That’s not to say none of my sets are grail quality, they’re just not the most expensive things out there.

One Grail Set.

Though could be convinced that I'd need two. One for Tournament and a cash set. But since this is a dream scenario. Grail set that includes cash and Tournament set.

Easily 1 grail set, for my personal situation not a difficult choice.

I don’t see the point in owning thousands of $s in chips thst I can’t/won’t use. Need an amazeballs limit or tourney set? I’ll just grab one from a neighbor.

Having been through hundreds of thousands of chips, almost 0% are ones I’d like to have in my possession for the rest of my life. So having been through this already, I am/would be always looking to upgrade those 10 sets. “There’s always a bigger fish”.

At this point, if it isn’t semi-grail or semi-forever, it’s not coming in my house.

My actions match my words. The only chipsets I still outright own - Paris (worth $10k, it’s about $8k in live chips) and Adolofos (wouldn’t ever sell, but would value them easily at $10k for a one of 2 ever set).

My vote is for 3-4 nice sets worth $10k vs 1 set. Don't need more than a few sets at a time, but I do like some diversity and options.

Not even a question for me. Give me the one high end set over ten mediocre sets all day every day.

A for sure because then I’d be getting a big discount on a grail set
Problem is I don’t think this exists.

The numbers don’t have to be exact. You can move the total budget up to $15k or whatever.

But I feel like you can get a pretty great RHC set for $1,000-$1500 these days.
And I see plenty of guys posting multiple ceramic or hybrid sets that I think they thing are pretty great.

The numbers don’t have to be exact. You can move the total budget up to $15k or whatever.

But I feel like you can get a pretty great RHC set for $1,000-$1500 these days.
And I see plenty of guys posting multiple ceramic or hybrid sets that I think they thing are pretty great.
Ooh, now there’s a question. Would you rather own one decent RHC set or ten sets of ceramic hybrid chips…

My vote is for 3-4 nice sets worth $10k vs 1 set. Don't need more than a few sets at a time, but I do like some diversity and options.

^This^ , all day. A set or two of CPC customs, a "nice" set of Paulsons/BCCs (read: $2-$3 per, not $10+) and a set of BrPro ceramics and I'd be very happy.

Gun to my head pick between A/B, I'd take A and sell it to get the above lol

If moving the numbers then I’ll choose B out of these particular options. Although I think 4 sets is a better split vs 10. That way the quality can be high for all… plus 10 sets is a lot. Granted I have a few more than that now I’m sure but I can admit it is too many.

For me, collecting chips is more about utility. A 'Grail Set' doesn't really serve my needs when you consider that I host tournaments, limit cash games, no limit cash games and Chinese Poker. So I need multiple sets for that reason alone.
Exactly why I would choose the multiple set option as well. I would need a limit set, a tournament set and few cash sets. Plus variety is the spice of life, I want to use different chips. As much as I love my PCA’s I don’t want to use them every game.

But 10 sets wouldn’t be needed, 4-6 sets in $1500-$2500 range would work fine.

Last edited:
I just don't think there's any way I'd be happy with just one set...
And that’s what I figured the majority opinion would be. So far, not quite. But that’s probably due to the restrictions I put in the poll - polls can be difficult.

Personally, one thing I’ve learned over the years is that I’m not a great collector - it just doesn’t really appeal to me. I’m great with a single set, as long as it suits my needs. And honestly I think my players prefer it - they seem to prefer the consistency of a single set over trying different ones.

But I recognize that most PCFers would prefer collecting multiple sets.

Sorry just one grail set will never work for me, I need to rotate and mix thing up here and there.

My end game is to have 6 grail / keeper sets, that’s the reason I own so many set because I not sure what is my preferred sets are, the chipping journey is about exploring and finding out what u like

Also so far I think I found 3 Keeper sets but u never know when my taste will change in the future

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom