Controversial Chip & Poker Opinions (10 Viewers)

You should never design inlays based on Bellagios, since the Bellagio inlay design is drab, dull, basic and ugly.

[doublechecks to make sure he’s in the controversial opinions thread]
You posted in the Controversial Opinions thread, but you needed to post this in the Unpopular Opinions thread. ;)

Chipping is like the super nerdy version of the car modding world though. Some love it, some hate it, some just hate everything, some cheer for everything.

I’m slowly becoming the last version as I get older. I’m just wanting everyone to find happy in their own little world. Fuck everyone else’s opinion, do you. :)
Yeah, a decade ago I’d slander his car and cast hatred :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: (Young and dumb)

Today, if he’s smiling, I’m gonna be happy for him.
Despite it being the interweb, some folks can be discerning. It doesn’t need to be black and white.

Even people like me who aren’t really chippers and don’t really care about the history of chips can see why buying highly sought after racks for any price and murdering them into a horrid custom/mixed set is bad on 8 different levels.

I and no one else would really post on it, I’m very much “you do you”. PCF can all be happy for someone and think that someone as gaudy and tasteless.

Same as we wouldn’t post how poorly a custom set might be. The difference is that is “theirs” and truly no other opinion really matters I guess.

Maybe I’m missing it, or maybe I just have a great circle. But the chippers I know certainly don’t love or hate everything, they have a discerning, calculated eye and love to share opinions and healthy feedback with eachother.

Edit - erhmagawd thank you to those who stopped me from trying to build an “all white” set with diff shades, as a fun play on things like Diddys all white party :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

buying highly sought after racks for any price and murdering them

Said it before, will say it again—I just don’t see this happening much.

People remember the few bad examples, but forget that 97.5%* of murder projects involve NAGB/Boat chips, commonly-available chips from @TheChipRoom sales, solids, and other non-rare stuff.

Most people here seem to (a) respect the history of rare chips and (b) don’t want to spend the absolute top dollar necessary to obtain such chips just to murder them and (c) realize that murdering rarities destroys resale value if you ever change your mind/direction.

If someone murdered a bunch of Mapes or RVCLs, I must have missed it.

………………..
* Exact percentage which I have scientifically determined, obv

Last edited:
Maybe I’m missing it
A little bit
or maybe I just have a great circle
We all think that, thats why it’s OUR circle
But the chippers I know certainly don’t love or hate everything
Same, the thing is we KNOW THEM. That’s why we build relationships and get to know people. We share similarities, humans are herd/pack creatures.
they have a discerning, calculated eye and love to share opinions and healthy feedback with eachother.
Discerning eye meets herd opinions. Birds of a feather, etc.

Barr Barr, you value some opinions, others you don’t. I think that you think everyone values your opinion though. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. I don’t know. It’s the internet.

What I assume happens is most are people just acquiring random racks and throwing them together, although sometimes it is just having no taste and too deep a wallet. Typically, when you see someone set out to make a mixed set starting with one specific chip or a full vision those tend to play out really well.

"Accidental" set (now broken up) when I first started came out okay, since it used rejects from my main set/vision:
9AiTqXg.jpg

Meticulously planned set (from how it started to how it's going - still want to use Bourbon $5s):
7l7o023.jpg

mnXJQHX.jpg
^^This - I think one or two racks will “inspire” a vision. You find one or two racks you really love and want to make something work with them. The challenge being the “vision” may not be as cool in real life as it was in your head - lol.

I’m kinda going through that now. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s an ongoing effort that will have quite a few puts and takes along the way.

It gets hard because experimentation can get real expensive, really fast. (Especially in the leaded THC world)

Right now I’m not really chasing any specific sets/chips so it keeps me interested in random chips, etc.

Said it before, will say it again—I just don’t see this happening much.

People remember the few bad examples, but forget that 97.5%* of murder projects involve NAGB/Boat chips, commonly-available chips from @TheChipRoom sales, solids, and other non-rare stuff.

Most people here seem to (a) respect the history of rare chips and (b) don’t want to spend the absolute top dollar necessary to obtain such chips just to murder them and (c) realize that murdering rarities destroys resale value if you ever change your mind/direction.

………………..
* Exact percentage which I have scientifically determined, obv
No doubt. As I said I don’t personally care much. There’s just 2-3 examples in my head that were so poorly executed that I still remember it. I don’t chat with many folks outside of PCF, but the sets were pretty much a wide miss with every person.
A little bit

We all think that, thats why it’s OUR circle

Same, the thing is we KNOW THEM. That’s why we build relationships and get to know people. We share similarities, humans are herd/pack creatures.

Discerning eye meets herd opinions. Birds of a feather, etc.

Barr Barr, you value some opinions, others you don’t. I think that you think everyone values your opinion though. Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. I don’t know. It’s the internet.
You said black and white, I simply inferred some items as I didn’t believe that was so. You…..replied this.

Happy Easter dude.

^^This - I think one or two racks will “inspire” a vision. You find one or two racks you really love and want to make something work with them. The challenge being the “vision” may not be as cool in real life as it was in your head - lol.

I’m kinda going through that now. I’ve come to the conclusion it’s an ongoing effort that will have a quite a few puts and takes along the way.

It gets hard because experimentation can get real expensive, really fast. (Especially in the leaded THC world)

Right now, I’m not really chasing any specific sets/chips so it keeps me kinda interested in random chips, etc.
The journey of it is the fun part.

Enjoy that.

There will be helpful opinions and guides along that journey, enjoy that as well.

Excited to see what you come up with :)

Happy Easter dude.

I don’t Easter. But I love chocolate.

Sometimes I mix chocolates. Eventually I’ll end up with a pile of chocolate wrappers I’m happy with…. And will then eat more chocolate.

I’m also excited about the discounted post Easter chocolates, much like Halloween.

It’s a struggle.

Sometimes I mix chocolates. Eventually I’ll end up with a pile of chocolate wrappers I’m happy with…. And will then eat more chocolate.

I’m also excited about the discounted post Easter chocolates, much like Halloween.

It’s a struggle.
Even better is orthodox Easter. Usually 1,2 or 3 weeks after catholic Easter. All the candy and lamb steaks and prime rib on sale!

It’s a struggle.
It’s a platitude. Apparently you’re black or white on those as well :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

“Have a good day”

Not sure how controversial this is as I'm sure many will agree with me, but if you gave me the ability today to be able to create a custom set of Paulsons or BCCs, I'd choose the latter...

Not controversial at all, since the actual odds of the former are almost zero, and the odds of the latter are exactly zero. But one can dream, and what does one have if not his dreams?

I don’t think you can get much more chipper than collecting random sample sets from strangers on the internet.
Touché. Granted, the specific reason I do that is because I could never be worried about design/spots/progression/etc. the way everyone else is capable of.

Never say never, but I will never create a set of chips through CPC. I've never had the slightest interest, I've never created a real mockup. In a way, I collect those for display because I personally don't have the eye or desire to do my own.

I'd personally categorize myself as more of an appreciator or collector or social guy in reference to the custom samples. But hey, I'll happily accept the "Chipper" nomenclature!

I don’t think you can get much more chipper than collecting random sample sets from strangers on the internet.

Touché. Granted, the specific reason I do that is because I could never be worried about design/spots/progression/etc. the way everyone else is capable of.

Never say never, but I will never create a set of chips through CPC. I've never had the slightest interest, I've never created a real mockup. In a way, I collect those for display because I personally don't have the eye or desire to do my own.

I'd personally categorize myself as more of an appreciator or collector or social guy in reference to the custom samples. But hey, I'll happily accept the "Chipper" nomenclature!

Was thinking about it just for fun, and here’s my chipper/chipaholic scale:

1 - you’ve bought your Tina/TCR/CPC/1st set and yet you still browse PCF

2 - you play only cash games 95% of the time and yet you want a tournament set for “security” since the group you play with has only been friends for 20 years (or vice versa)

3 - you collect sample sets, dealer buttons, and/or multiple single chip card cappers (+0.5 if they’re in a plastic case)

4 - you want multiple sets so you can rotate them

6 - you have spent time overlabeling

7 - you have oiled/baked chips and read 20 pages about it

8 - you have murdered/relabeled chips

9 - you have built a perfect custom set for which you spent hours removing the original labels, then found racks with marginally better colors/edgespots and replaced perfectly fine chips with slightly better ones

10 - despite painstakingly creating your perfect custom set in #9, you want more

2 - you play only cash games 95% of the time and yet you want a tournament set for “security” since the group you play with has only been friends for 20 years (or vice versa)

3 - you collect sample sets, dealer buttons, and/or multiple single chip card cappers (+0.5 if they’re in a plastic case)

9 - you have built a perfect custom set for which you spent hours removing the original labels, then found racks with marginally better colors/edgespots and replaced perfectly fine chips with slightly better ones

10 - despite painstakingly creating your perfect custom set in #9, you want more
10/10
:oops:

Oof. I'm bout 2 1/2 out of 10 here.

✅
✅
✅
✅
✅
✅
✅
✅
✅

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom