PCF Wine appreciation thread. (26 Viewers)

Going with Duckhorn Cab for Christmas dinner!
89F6A6BC-73B4-4D19-82D8-AACF53E62ED1.jpeg

You can't go wrong with any of these, at least if they 've travelled in a decent manner.
Thymiopoulos is a fine wizard, while the old Xinomavro vines of the Alpha Estate are one thing of a kind.

What I find bizarre is that you 've found so many nice Greek bottles, and still none from the Papaioannou wine maker in Nemea (he makes the local St George variety bottled as "Ktima" (estate) plus a great Cabernet Sauvignon labelled as "cava" Papaioannou (meaning PriestJohnson's) :)

Simple dinner at home tonight -- two beautiful 1.5 inch thick prime filets with a red wine / beef stock/ jalapeno-raspberry jam reduction and this:

Screenshot (7).png

I have two more bottles, and no idea when or where I bought them. It was terrific, but I'm certain I didn't pay anywhere near that much for them. :cool

Last edited:
After all the discusion about Greek wine, my friend brought this one with taramosalata, great pairing.

View attachment 1054339

Assyrtiko, IMHO, is the world's top grape variety when it comes to accompanying fish and seafood (with which taramasalata is eaten, on the side) :)
And, Assyrtiko from the volcanic soil of Santorini is top. It's become world-famous, so we can hardly afford it anymore here (20E+ at the liquor store, so 50E+ at restaurants).
I wonder how much this bottle cost in AZ.:)

Sigalas and Argyros are top wine makers in Santorini. I 've visited the latter's winery.

When I think of Riesling I typically think of Germany (Mosel, etc…) and NOT Napa, CA!

Smith Madrone knocks it out of the park. This use to be my go to. Haven’t had it in awhile. A delicious wine and reasonably price. Recommended!

FE9D3B3A-B7CF-4014-9366-B4D40FCA1A77.jpeg

ChateauJ_IMG_0448.jpg
ChateauJ_IMG_0449.jpg

This is a serious Merlot, cultivated in eastern Macedonia, Greece

And this is a very serious and aged Rapsani domain, on the foothills of Mt Olympus, a blend of the famous devilish Xinomavro (Sour Black) grape, with Stavroto (Cross-blending) and Krassato (wine-intended) grape.
Rapsani_IMG_0446.jpg
Rapsani_IMG_0447.jpg

Remember Mr. Thymiopoulos; he 's a wizzard

Having some Assyrtiko right now, from western Macedonia, Greece, continental climate at an altitude of 535 meters (Alpha Estate). A heretical take of the Santorini island original.
Assyrtiko_IMG_0450.jpg
Assyrtiko_IMG_0451.jpg

Notice the owl (clearly not Athenian; rather Greek Macedonian) :)

Finally found some Papaioannou, this one:

large.png

They are $19.99, but they want $48 for shipping. I might just do it anyway.....
That's the all-time-classic Agiorgitiko, indigenous of Nemea in the Pelopponese, selling here for 10E in liquor stores.
He also makes an excellent, oak barrel-aged Cabernet Sauvignon in Nemea, named "Cava Papaioannou", costing 13E here.

After a couple of years, I have had the pleasure of tasting Alpha Estate's top wine, the A1
It costs around 90E in liquor stores in Greece, and something like 300E in posh restaurants.
I got it for 75E in the duty-free shop crossing from Greece to Albania, in the middle of nowhere, at freezing temperatures :)
80% Merlot, 20% Tannat
Most of it goes for export, since it can no longer be afforded in Greece, normally
A1_IMG_0454.jpg

A1_IMG_0455.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom