Tourney To use or not to use, a dealer button (2 Viewers)

Is the dealer button necessary in self dealt games?

• Total voters
Tend not to use them unless someone is dealing for the table.

I do have one player who likes to use it so we do when they play but as no one else is that bothered with it it's rarely where it should be then anyway.

When playing dealers choice, which is most of the time, everyone knows who the dealer is because we've all asked them what the game is at some point during the deal :D

I can see the usefulness of it to cap the stub though.

Button has a precise function : Where is the dealer ? => what are player's positions ?

So anytime, even if you didn't pay attention, you can know the positions of players (in game or remaining), your position.
Position is crucial in poker.

Even in self deal game, this is important because the dealer can be called for something outside table (especially if the dealer is the host).

This is the reason why the button is always on the left of the dealer. A propoer separation between dealer and small blind.
Plus to give indication where the first card should go

This is the reason why the button should always be onto the felt, and not close to the player who deals (this happens a lot to my monkeys) => So the button is visible and all positions are known in a glance.

So even in self deal a button is a mandatory thing.

A dealer button has a function. Period.

Last edited:
You've imagined a player who is too stupid to keep the correct stub in front of him but is smart enough to keep the button in front of him.

You've imagined eight other players who are too stupid to know that the dealer is the one with the matching stub but are smart enough to know that the dealer is the one with the dealer button.

None of those players exist. People in this thread are basically telling OP that his experience is wrong here:
1. No, my other comment has said I'm moving the button. They're not stupid, they're here to socialize.
2. Stub gets placed in the middle next to flop where it shouldnt be, button is still where I put it. They're not stupid, they're here to socialize.
3. I am so thankful you've never met me or my players, better this way. I dont think you'd have fun at my game, and I doubt we'd beg you to come back. They do exist, and they're happier than you.

I often caricature my playing experience and though its exaggerated, the reasoning still stands: new dealers dont always keep stub in hand or place it in front of them. I've taught my players to look for the button and then follow the chips to know whos turn it is to bet. They're more disciplined moving the button than they are placing the stub in front of them because they use the button to remember position and turn to bet.

On a forum, we give our experiences and opinions. OP asked for them, we're not saying they're wrong. Yours is negative as usual but appreciated!

Last edited:
1. No, my other comment has said I'm moving the button.
2. Stub gets placed in the middle next to flop where it shouldnt be, button is still where I put it.
3. I am so thankful you've never met me or my players, better this way. I dont think you'd have fun at my game, and I doubt we'd beg you to come back.

I often caricature my playing experience and though its exaggerated, the reasoning still stands: new dealers dont always keep stub in hand or place it in front of them. I've taught my players to look for the button and then follow the chips to know whos turn it is to bet. They're more disciplined moving the button than they are placing the stub in front of them because they use the button to remember position and turn to bet.

On a forum, we give our experiences and opinions. OP asked for them. Yours is negative as usual but appreciated!
The stub goes HERE!
The button HERE!
Huckleberry Hound Dog GIF by Boomerang Official

I rarely use one in self dealt cash games. Seems like a bit of a hassle but whatever it doesn't bother me if someone requests it.

I always use one in tournaments. I often end up dealing for the players seated near the ends.

If the button gets moved.
Cards get moved every time.
I see your point.

But it happens often that the dealer is off the table (smoking, wc, food, hosts, whatever). So an other player have to deal the cards.
Sometimes the SB, sometimes the CO.
How do you deal with this ? because cards are not at the dealer position.

And quite often someone make a mistake dealing (twice or forgetting). Here again, cards are not dealer position.

Cards position are not dealer position. Reason why there is a button.

We don't run into that issue because pretty much everybody at our table knows when you're next to deal, it can wait until after your deal. If he's coming back from the bathroom, or getting another beer, we can wait another 30 seconds.

I mean, if you want to use a button, use a button. But it's not the end-all answer to showing who's dealing unless it gets moved every single time. At our game it is always forgotten because we're too busy dealing the next hand so we just bagged it.

And quite often someone make a mistake dealing (twice or forgetting). Here again, cards are not dealer position.
Well, I don't know what to tell you about this. If people are forgetting to deal, or dealing twice, how are you able to guarantee the button's getting moved in the first place?

Like I said, if you want to use a button, use a button.

What does every game with dice chips, paper cards, and a hard playing surface have in common?

Typical contrarian PCFers talking themselves out of an easy QOL improvement to your typical home game. Next thing you're going to tell me is you don't need a hot dog roller because you value your life expectancy.

What does every game with dice chips, paper cards, and a hard playing surface have in common?

Typical contrarian PCFers talking themselves out of an easy QOL improvement to your typical home game. Next thing you're going to tell me is you don't need a hot dog roller because you value your life expectancy.
Maybe I need another coffee, and there’s definitely some sarcasm here, which isn’t always easy to read, but I have to ask - is it the QOL (quality of life?) improvement to use the button or to not use the button?

In general -- conformists use a dealer button, anarchists do not.

Just pick your corner, and let the others do the same.

But a dealer button does serve a valid function, and imo should be utilized for that reason.

I am a hard, dealer button required player/host.

That said I have gone entire rotations where ththe dealer button has been forgotten......

I am a hard not small/big blind buttons in addition to a dealer button....too much hastle to move, especially when the dealer button is hard enough to remember to move.

*(Edited to fix "m" instead of "n" in the word am in the first line 2nd word.)

Last edited:
My degenerate friends and I need one. It's usually our "guys night out" when we play, so always a bottle cracked and some smoke in the air. When we get up to have a drink or take a quick break, we find the button is easier to account for accurately and easier to resume from, rather than the still uncorralled cards left from the last hand. All too often we would get into the "shit...did I just deal or did you" fiasco. I know it's a sad reason, but it helped us avoid that crap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom