Barrington poker table thread (7 Viewers)

I have a question for those that have done the cup holders. How do you know when to stop cutting with the hole saw before you cut into the padding? Possibly the feel or sound?

I’ve been wanting to do this for a while now and think I’m ready to try.

I have a question for those that have done the cup holders. How do you know when to stop cutting with the hole saw before you cut into the padding? Possibly the feel or sound?

For me it was the feel

For me it was the feel

Yep. Same for me.

Take it really slow. I'd stop and look at the hole every now and then to see how far I've drilled. When you're about to reach the bottom layer (you can actually feel a difference in the wood), go really slow and as soon as you break through that - stop drilling immediately.

You got this.

I have the LED version of the Barrington table. There were two stages when cutting with the hole saw from the bottom. The first stage is the plywood and it was obvious when you got through that. The next stage was this terrible smelling press board, and for that you also feel when you've gone through it. I didn't push down very hard, but I also used a nice arbored hole saw that the arbor stuck out enough to almost keep me from going further. It went smoothly.

Last edited:
For me it was the feel
Yep. Same for me.

Take it really slow. I'd stop and look at the hole every now and then to see how far I've drilled. When you're about to reach the bottom layer (you can actually feel a difference in the wood), go really slow and as soon as you break through that - stop drilling immediately.

You got this.
I have the LED version of the Barrington table. There were two stages when cutting with the hole saw from the bottom. The first stage is the plywood and it was obvious when you got through that. The next stage was this terrible smelling press board, and for that you also feel when you've gone through it. I didn't push down very hard, but I also used a nice arbored hole saw that the arbor stuck out enough to almost keep me from going further. It went smoothly.
Awesome. That’s what I thought, just go slow and pay attention to the sound and feel.

Funny story, I work nights so after thinking and reading about this all night last night I came home and went to sleep. I had a dream I actually messed it up and cut through the foam. I don’t normally remember much of my dreams but I do that one

It seems pretty straightforward. Thanks for the help!

IMPORTANT: So, I thought everything went perfectly, but there was one problem. The straps that hold the table together when folded run through the two cup holder areas at the ends of the table. On one, the hole saw cut through it without any problem. However, on the other end, either the strap got pulled by the teeth of the hole saw or the excess felt got caught and pulled it causing a tear in the original table felt. Not the end of the world since I purchased a custom table topper like most people in this forum. This is obviously a fluke since I don’t recall seeing anyone else mention this. Because the strap is in between the pressboard material and the plywood you really can’t avoid cutting it. My guess is that I was going too slow through the plywood and therefore the teeth just pulled instead of cut this strap or the excess table felt. Either way, my advice is to go FULL SPEED through the plywood (which is the first layer you cut through). You’re going to feel when you cut through it. That way you will cut, not pull, on the straps/excess felt.

IMG_8659.jpeg

Last edited:
Question for those who bought this dimmer off Amazon: https://a.co/d/eKGk49u

BS Dimmers.jpg

Both of the dimmers in the package I received would NOT allow for turning of the LED lights. It would only allow for the lights to go down to about 30% of their brightness. Seems kind of screwy that the knob on these has an OFF position, but the lights never go down to zero/off.

Did anyone else have this issue?

Both of the dimmers in the package I received would NOT allow for turning of the LED lights. It would only allow for the lights to go down to about 30% of their brightness. Seems kind of screwy that the knob on these has an OFF position, but the lights never go down to zero/off.

Mine worked fine. Can turn off and dim all the way to barely on. Sounds like you got defective stock.

Last edited:
I bought the regular version and exchanged it to the LED version for just those reasons. I never plan on using the LED's but the heavier deck is definitely a plus.
Be warned...the folded table is HEAVY. I bought the bag for it and it's better, but two people makes getting it set up much easier.
I will admit I was totally not expecting the LED table to have the heft that it did. Definitely a two-person job for my setup, but it also pays to have strapping young sons that want to show off their muscles...

the simpsons muscles GIF
The LED table is a brut, and yes, 2 people to set it up would be easier, but I'd say it's still doable by one for the majority of adult men. I'm 66 and not muscle bound in any way whatsoever, and I've done it twice. I bought the bag for the second time I used it and it does make it quite a bit easier. I have to move it about 60 feet from my house to my detached garage for storage.

View attachment 1303699

I'm with @Danny_Banana , mine are fine. Very strange if both of yours are doing the same thing tho, seems unlikely they both have the exact same defect. Weird...

You might not plan to use the LEDs, but I highly recommend it. Getting the warm white COB LEDs and dimmer is a game changer.

LEDs off:
View attachment 1299681

Warm white COB LEDs at about 30%:
View attachment 1299683

You have convinced me to upgrade my LED lights to the warm white LED's you have. I have already ordered and received all the goodies from Amazon. Now I just need to find some free time to do the upgrade. Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to show off the results.

You have convinced me to upgrade my LED lights to the warm white LED's you have. I have already ordered and received all the goodies from Amazon. Now I just need to find some free time to do the upgrade. Thanks for the inspiration! I can't wait to show off the results.
I recommend peeling off the tape backing and sticking them to the old LED strip (if you have the LED version of the table). I tried without doing that and they would slip out in spots.

I recommend peeling off the tape backing and sticking them to the old LED strip (if you have the LED version of the table). I tried without doing that and they would slip out in spots.
Yeah it all depends on your table. I was able to wedge mine in and only peel off about 6 in of adhesive at the ends. I did this just because I was testing the lights but I've never circled back to peel off the rest of the adhesive.

Definitely start without any slack. I accidentally started with a little too much and I barely made it to the end!

I'm interested in doing this upgrade to COB led's but I'm not sure I understand whats involved with cutting them, and splicing, etc.
Also, is it one long strip, or two halves?

Yeah it all depends on your table. I was able to wedge mine in and only peel off about 6 in of adhesive at the ends. I did this just because I was testing the lights but I've never circled back to peel off the rest of the adhesive.

Definitely start without any slack. I accidentally started with a little too much and I barely made it to the end!
how did you feed the LED through the Barrington? The friction on the silicon won’t let me pull it through lol

I'm interested in doing this upgrade to COB led's but I'm not sure I understand whats involved with cutting them, and splicing, etc.
It’s one long strip. You’ll only make one cut. It’s easy.

It's one long strip. You do need cut it and attach an end for the barrel, and use a Y connector. It's all very simple once it's in front of you. I can go into more detail, just on mobile now.

Thank you for the advise. I appreciate it!

GET THE DIMMER!!!

My Eyes Burn GIF by Heute-Show

I have had the dimmers for a while now. They make a huge difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom