Do you struggle to go to other games now that you're a host? (1 Viewer)

I think I’m gonna be the opposite. I’ve hosted 5 games this year thus far. In the time I’ve upgraded to Tina chips, Barrington table (modded with jumbo cup holders of course), custom felt, and more. I permanently deal at my games to help keep the game moving. I’m looking forward to being a guest and not worrying about setup / cleanup / food, etc.

Its freed me up actually! I get a real kick out of going to play with dice chips and a tablecloth. I'm definitely more of a card snob over chip snob though; if you riffle correctly with paper bicycle cards, the ends will be bowed within an hour and that annoys me.

Agreed with @davesilver88 , I can't believe how easy it is to just show up and play. So much easier to focus and win when someone else shoulders most of the logistics. I'll still help newbies but I don't feel solely responsible for them having a good time.

Same. Not having to rig up and basically work for 12 hours is enough for me to *not care about random value on dice chips, pre-dealt flop, turn and river cards, etc. I can just focus on the poker.

Last edited:
I love going to other games! I can relax and have fun. It helps to live near other PC Effers who have amazing setups and well run games. It energizes me to host again!
I feel this. I get to relax and not have to bank , worry about guest having a decent time, top up, dinner plans , etc etc. Also nice to see other setups to get a feel on what I can improve on.

I’m willing to try new games, but most people that are recruiting players are running raked games where the rake is high for the stakes and amenities offered.

Though recently one of the players in my network wanted to start hosting games regularly so I gave her one of my tables. It paid me back what I was looking to sell it for the first night lol.

It is nice to be able to show up to someone else’s game and just play now. She runs a good game and is always asking for feedback on how to improve it.

I've been the only one hosting for years minus a long hiatus. Had a player decide to host in Jan. He asked if I wanted to bring my chips because he thought I wouldn't want to play with dice chips. I said nope, I don't want to have to do anything but just show up.

It was a nice change although I punted on the first hand with AK suited pretty much knowing I was up against AA and had a nut flush draw on the flop. I blame the dice chips for my fuckup though. lol

I agree it’s really nice to just play. I end up doing shitty at my place because of all the distractions but have great results everywhere else I have ever played. It’s a good thing I enjoy hosting for a great group of friends, I’m dead in the red on the money side at my home game. It’s laughable, my buddies have a hard time believing it when I basically own them elsewhere.

The only thing that kind of bugged me was he used both 25 and 50 cent chips. I barely got there in time for the first hand (wish I had been 1 minute later to avoid the punt - I thought they rigged the deck on me. AK suited vs AA first hand?. lol).

He may not have had enough 25c chips to cover and he's played my game enough to know I only use a rack of 25c for fracs so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. It was harder to count the pot and slowed the game down a bit. I may bring this up to him Friday when I host, but probably not. Most folks don't like criticism and I'm learning to shut my mouth.

He also had to play banker and handed me $50 when I rebought for $40 (2nd rebuy in 30 mins new record for me). I pointed it out. I like my players finding out it is not so easy to host.

Lost my 3rd buy-in to whom I started calling flush draw after hitting 3 spade draws on the river against me. First time I had met him. It was all in good fun.

Was about to leave as I had run out of money I had taken from my wife's purse (think Ashy Larry WSODice style) and my buddy put down another $40 for me, like you've only been here 90 mins. Finally won some pots and played until the end at 2am. Gave him his $40 back and only lost $33. Fun times.

Relax and try to enjoy it. It will not be run like your game, but I bet you'll have an experience to tell. You're more likely to remember "experiences" later in life than you are to recall the norm.

Last edited:
This is just the enthusiasm I need. No rake at this spot, just a classic home game tournament. $25 buy in with 1.5 hour late reg and rebuy period.

I love your folks good outlook! It's appreciated.

I am on board with the others who have posted. Prior to hosting a weekly NLHE cash game, I hosted an 18 to 20 player tourney twice a month through the winter for two years. I had no intention of doing the same for a third year, but I gave in to the pressure. To switch things up, I created a poker league with a championship tournament at the end. I also offered to host a mixed cash game on the off weeks for the degens who liked to play something other than hold-em.

Back then, I really looked forward to Wednesday night's NLHE cash game the next town over from where I lived. The host's dice chips didn't bother me. He had comfy chairs and a decent table. Best of all, he had a great group of guys who enjoyed each others company and having fun. It was like a paid vacation.

For me, the enthusiasm gap lies in the stakes. During Covid, poker games grew bigger. I think part of it was due to boredom as a result of the economy being shut down. Another part I am sure had to do with the amount of free money everyone received. It is crazy to see how quickly the local gaming scene has changed since.

Gone! Are the $40 buy-in cash games. Fracs have joined the dinosaurs. Hundreds are the new twenty. $100 minimum buy-in for the $1/$1 NLHE/PLO cash game that runs once in a great while. $200 minimum buy-in if you want to play in the full ring $1/$2 NLHE weekly cash game. There is an $8/$16 dealer's choice Hold-em/PLO limit game on Friday nights comprised mostly of older players that is thriving. $100 is unlikely to get you far in that game, although I have seen people try it. (Players are allowed to pull light if they are in a hand.)

In short, the last two years have killed my interest in the smaller stake games that I use to enjoy being a part of. I wouldn't cross the street to play in a $25 tournament now.

I love going to other games! I can relax and have fun. It helps to live near other PC Effers who have amazing setups and well run games. It energizes me to host again!
Exactly. If I am fortunate to host, I love doing it, but being able to go to other PCF hosts’ games is a treat. I’d rather host a game with a bunch of PCFrs than not since they all know how much work goes into hosting and make it that much easier.

I only find it really tough to relinquish control if the host's chip colours, denominations and counts are weird. Went to one that had several denoms of numbered chips, insisted on using them ALL in play (like 10p/20p/50p/£1/£5, AND was missing one of those denoms, so we had to, say, remember that $25 played as 10p (not even choosing the $100 to do that!) :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I think I’m gonna be the opposite. I’ve hosted 5 games this year thus far. In the time I’ve upgraded to Tina chips, Barrington table (modded with jumbo cup holders of course), custom felt, and more. I permanently deal at my games to help keep the game moving. I’m looking forward to being a guest and not worrying about setup / cleanup / food, etc.
I always try to think of a little strategy before my home games. But when we start, I deal and play the whole night. Because it goes way faster this way. I always forget to put my strategy to use. I am just busy the whole game. I tend to play better when I can just chill&play instead of being the dealer and play

I am on board with the others who have posted. Prior to hosting a weekly NLHE cash game, I hosted an 18 to 20 player tourney twice a month through the winter for two years. I had no intention of doing the same for a third year, but I gave in to the pressure. To switch things up, I created a poker league with a championship tournament at the end. I also offered to host a mixed cash game on the off weeks for the degens who liked to play something other than hold-em.

Back then, I really looked forward to Wednesday night's NLHE cash game the next town over from where I lived. The host's dice chips didn't bother me. He had comfy chairs and a decent table. Best of all, he had a great group of guys who enjoyed each others company and having fun. It was like a paid vacation.

For me, the enthusiasm gap lies in the stakes. During Covid, poker games grew bigger. I think part of it was due to boredom as a result of the economy being shut down. Another part I am sure had to do with the amount of free money everyone received. It is crazy to see how quickly the local gaming scene has changed since.

Gone! Are the $40 buy-in cash games. Fracs have joined the dinosaurs. Hundreds are the new twenty. $100 minimum buy-in for the $1/$1 NLHE/PLO cash game that runs once in a great while. $200 minimum buy-in if you want to play in the full ring $1/$2 NLHE weekly cash game. There is an $8/$16 dealer's choice Hold-em/PLO limit game on Friday nights comprised mostly of older players that is thriving. $100 is unlikely to get you far in that game, although I have seen people try it. (Players are allowed to pull light if they are in a hand.)

In short, the last two years have killed my interest in the smaller stake games that I use to enjoy being a part of. I wouldn't cross the street to play in a $25 tournament now.
Ahh see we're experiencing the opposite it seems. There's still higher stakes stuff around make no mistake but my area was decimated by hurricane Ian and then the economy weirdness after the fact. Everyone seems stretched so thin, they love the idea of cheap stakes. "It's almost free!"

Different perspectives I guess. lol

It's made me a game snob. How well the show is run and proximity to my house all play factors. I'm attending my first new game in a couple of years this Friday. I'm always skeptical to check out other folks setups cause I'm so picky these days.

I learned how to host from going to great games!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom