First Tournament Decision Help (I did not see opponents cards) (1 Viewer)

BillyNasty

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Playing my first tournament, standard player from the BB (Not loose or tight) 3 bet the pot and got 2 callers (Myself and one other from the button). I had :jh::th: and the flop came :4c::4d::js:. Preflop raiser is first to act and announces all in. I ended up thinking for awhile but folded and slightly regret the fold. I came here because I wanted to know your thoughts on the decision. My reasoning for the fold was 2 primary reasons, one of which you all will not like haha. The first, is because this situation had happened within the first 10 minutes of me sitting down at the table and I told myself I was going to play tight until I figured out the tendencies of other players. I had also heard from some advice that all-in within a tournament is much more powerful than at a cash game because of the idea that you cannot simply rebuy. The other reason that I folded was because of the other guy acting after me. If either of them had a over pocket pair I am out of the tournament within the first 10 minutes. The reason that I regret my decision to fold is simple: If I was willing to fold top pair on that board, what was I going to stay for? I know this was a nooby move, but I wanted to know all of your thoughts on the situation.

Thanks for all the advice,
Billy

Had 13bb in preflop and shoved for the remaining 87bb. Chips wise, had 15k, 2k to see the flop then shoved for the remaining 13k. Blinds were at 75/150. We both had 15k or 100bb because of how quick into the tournament we were.

If either of them had a over pocket pair
That’s most likely what the guy had. He’s probably thinking that neither of you called a 3-bet with a 4 in your hand. Though a lot of people will call a 3-bet with a suited A4, so it was risky.
I think your fold was fine.
If I was willing to fold top pair on that board, what was I going to stay for?
Nothing. But you called the 3-bet hoping for a hearts flop or a Broadway flop that would give you a flush or a straight. You didn’t get it, so no harm in folding, especially out of position 3-way.

So the action was something like raise to 2BB 300, 3 bet to 600~ from the BB, 44J flop, BB shoves for 87BB? I would fold unless I had a read on the player. I would probably fold and find a better spot in a freezeout. Not that many bluffs. A lot of over pairs.

That’s most likely what the guy had. He’s probably thinking that neither of you called a 3-bet with a 4 in your hand. Though a lot of people will call a 3-bet with a suited A4, so it was risky.

Nothing. But you called the 3-bet hoping for a hearts flop or a Broadway flop that would give you a flush or a straight. You didn’t get it, so no harm in folding, especially out of position 3-way.
I needed this.

So the action was something like raise to 2BB 300, 3 bet to 600~ from the BB, 44J flop, BB shoves for 87BB? I would fold unless I had a read on the player. I would probably fold and find a better spot in a freezeout. Not that many bluffs. A lot of over pairs.
Okay, this is actually a pretty good way to think about it. Thank you.

I'm a bit confused. Could be the lack of coffee or the time of day. Some questions. Let's start here:

Who opened, and from what position? You and the button called the BB 3B, but who opened?

Absolutely. Without a specific read I'm solely straight or flush mining if I call there at all PF, but I'm probably more likely to 3B the raiser myself or fold in that spot almost every time. It's just an awkward strength hand to play from middle position facing an open raise with people left to act behind you, IMO.

I'm also bad so, YMMV.

I’d grumble fold, but I’m a nit. I’m here to play for the afternoon, not spaff my stack on the first hand. Could be an overpair, could be 99s-JJs. Could be AK that doesn’t know what to do.
Whatever, I don’t think it’s a good bet because it’s only getting called by better. If it was AA he missed a ton of value from you calling a street or two of more reasonably sized bets. IMO V made you play perfectly.

I feel fine folding to a 6.5x flop overbet even with top pair. When your opponent bets that large you don't need to be calling very often.

I think this is an easy fold. You don't know him, he doesn't know you. You haven't committed much. He won't win much. You lose to an overpair, any 4, or J with better kicker.

Next hand, please.

Folding here is fine, you don't give up much even if wrong.

He's likely to do it again and again.... and you can wait to snap him off with the nuts.

Tournament all-in c-bets work every time except the last one.

The flop is a snap fold 100% for that configuration and stack depth. I think preflop is more interesting here.

Assuming you were mid-position, I would be opening this hand 100%. If you did limp, got raised to 3x by the button and 3! By BB to 13bb, this is a snap fold with J10s out of position with original raiser still to act. Save yourself the chips and get out of there.

Button will 4! wider with an over limper and if he flats, there are very few runs outs where you'll feel super confident getting all the chips in the middle. Even flushes might be risky as he will be raises calling a lot of suited Broadway combos and suited aces. I think calling a 3! Heads up is much more reasonable in position though. But multiway, you are still dominated by a lot of hands the button and BB have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom