Have Chinese cards mold replica sets gone too far? (4 Viewers)

Gone too far? Should we stop?

Animated GIF

View attachment 1317754View attachment 1317755
I just got some samples of 43mm Greek hybrids and I’m stunned. I can’t say enough good things about them. Just use your own design like this guy!!

Did they produce a second hat and cane mold? These look like they’re 43mm. Anybody confirm? I’m guessing full on ceramic, not hybrid?
IMG_0092.png

Did they produce a second hat and cane mold? These look like they’re 43mm. Anybody confirm? I’m guessing full on ceramic, not hybrid?
View attachment 1320464

All the creative possibilities in the world and people decide to just copy existing molds and existing chips instead...

1714417505878.png

Overall, I'm indifferent on the Tina replica's debate. However, I do wonder, to the hardcore anti-replica crowd, what is your view on the Empress Star secondaries?

All the creative possibilities in the world and people decide to just copy existing molds and existing chips instead...

View attachment 1320548
I’ve always thought the great thing about ceramics is the possibility to make use of the entire chip surface with one’s design to create something really cool. He must be tired of me @ing him about this but I can’t help it, the Parks and recs set is the perfect example of this!
@detroitdad

The new tina greek/web mold hybrids are really very nice though (only have samples of the greek) and work incredibly well as ”clay copy” chips. Not a big fan of the knock off designs and wouldn’t get a set for myself, but I am honestly not really bothered by them either.

Overall, I'm indifferent on the Tina replica's debate. However, I do wonder, to the hardcore anti-replica crowd, what is your view on the Empress Star secondaries?
Is that the set where they copied the WSOP tournament chips, and the next year they’d mysteriously disappeared from the WSOP? And people on PCF kept screaming different mold different mold because they were on a THC mold, not RHC so even though they were otherwise exact copies and even though the general public (read dealers) won’t typically distinguish between the two molds and even though they were pulled ostensibly because they were no longer secure, the PCFers who loved them insisted it was no problem?
Those chips?
I think making those was a shit move. But I guess they look nice.

Different mold, different inlay size, different inlay design, different spot colors, and the submission was approved for production by GPI.

Good enough for them, good enough for me.

And fwiw, I was opposed to them being made on the RHC mold.

Is that the set where they copied the WSOP tournament chips, and the next year they’d mysteriously disappeared from the WSOP? And people on PCF kept screaming different mold different mold because they were on a THC mold, not RHC so even though they were otherwise exact copies and even though the general public (read dealers) won’t typically distinguish between the two molds and even though they were pulled ostensibly because they were no longer secure, the PCFers who loved them insisted it was no problem?
Those chips?
I think making those was a shit move. But I guess they look nice.
The chips you’re referring to were one of the NAGB boat tourney sets, not a Chinese Tina ceramic set. Those tourney chips were awesome, btw.

Different mold, different inlay size, different inlay design, different spot colors, and the submission was approved for production by GPI.

So when someone designs Tiger replicas on Tina molds....all will be good, right?

Different material altogether, different weight, colors aren't an exact match, and the submission was approved by Tina?

View attachment 1320548
Couldn’t agree more. I feel that it’s a wasted opportunity to do a “clay” design on a ceramic chip.

I went to Egypt for my 50th last year, which also happened to be the 100th anniversary of the opening of Tutankhamen’s tomb. Went for ceramics as I didn’t have a set. The “Greek key” design is found in Egyptian tombs.

IMG_8745.jpeg
IMG_8742.jpeg

Couldn’t agree more. I feel that it’s a wasted opportunity to do a “clay” design on a ceramic chip.

I went to Egypt for my 50th last year, which also happened to be the 100th anniversary of the opening of Tutankhamen’s tomb. Went for ceramics as I didn’t have a set. The “Greek key” design is found in Egyptian tombs.

View attachment 1320843View attachment 1320844
LOL. Good one! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So when someone designs Tiger replicas on Tina molds....all will be good, right?

Different material altogether, different weight, colors aren't an exact match, and the submission was approved by Tina?
So long as the inlay is different too, sure.

You’ve lost me…
Maybe I'm the one who misunderstood. You are well known for your jokes and humor. You agreed with someone who was complaining about using clay designs on a ceramic chip. Then you showed a chip with Greek key designs, which is literally a clay chip mold. So I thought you were making a joke.

The more I think about it, the less this makes any sense whatsoever and starts resembling a troll post.

"Submission approved by Tina" is hardly the same as the original manufacturer -- with anti-duplication controls in place -- agreeing to manufacture a similar design for a different customer.

And with different materials, molds, weights, colors, and inlay design -- what exactly would make the 'Tiger replica' chips replicas? Using similar colors or spot patterns that resemble previously produced chips?

A bunch of chips share those traits, including some of the original Tiger chips themselves. Nobody is calling those 'replicas'.

The more I think about it, the less this makes any sense whatsoever and starts resembling a troll post.

"Submission approved by Tina" is hardly the same as the original manufacturer -- with anti-duplication controls in place -- agreeing to manufacture a similar design for a different customer.

And with different materials, molds, weights, colors, and inlay design -- what exactly would make the 'Tiger replica' chips replicas? Using similar colors or spot patterns that resemble previously produced chips?

A bunch of chips share those traits, including some of the original Tiger chips themselves. Nobody is calling those 'replicas'.
It pretty much was ....but the point is kind of who is to say what's okay and what's not which is kind of the whole point of the thread I guess.

The debate will never be settled and Tina won't stop making chips.

And yet they were taken out of play. You don't think that was just a coincidence?

View attachment 1320548

This.

It seems odd to ask for knockoffs of existing chips (especially fantasy chips) when the sky is the limit on what you can design for Tinas. Fake Sunset Beach or BTPs? IDGI

If the designs are going to be copies, I would think replicating ultra rare and historic chips would be the move.

For example, there are few if any chips from the Mayfair Club, which was the NYC breeding ground for so many great players. I’d buy a Mayfair tribute set in a heartbeat.

This.

It seems odd to ask for knockoffs of existing chips (especially fantasy chips) when the sky is the limit on what you can design for Tinas. Fake Sunset Beach or BTPs? IDGI

If the designs are going to be copies, I would think replicating ultra rare and historic chips would be the move.

For example, there are few if any chips from the Mayfair Club, which was the NYC breeding ground for so many great players. I’d buy a Mayfair tribute set in a heartbeat.
Right? I'm against any copies at all, but copying chips that were literally made to be relabeled is hilarious.

Maybe I'm the one who misunderstood. You are well known for your jokes and humor. You agreed with someone who was complaining about using clay designs on a ceramic chip. Then you showed a chip with Greek key designs, which is literally a clay chip mold. So I thought you were making a joke.
Haha no i wasn’t trying to be funny. I came up with the Greek key to avoid having to align edge spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom