Hi, Steaks: the Official PCF Steak Thread (3 Viewers)

Sirloin!

20230710_232118.jpg

IMG_5027.jpeg

That’s a prime New York cut from Costco from my bbq (with a side of mushrooms and potato).

Reverse sear is great but I’m also a huge fan of just grilling on the bbq.

What I learned from my dad for grilling steaks:
- Let the steak rest at room temp *before* cooking (1-2 hours). This allows even cooking throughout (notice there is no gray at the edges of my steak).
- Simpler with seasoning is better. Copious amounts of Morton’s kosher coarse salt and fresh ground pepper is truly enough (with a little oil to make it not stick).
- Highest heat possible. If the steak is not done after 6-8 minutes because it is too thick put it in the oven or a higher level on the grill to finish coming to temp (don’t try to grill it at lower heat just because it’s thick).
- Pull the steak a good 10 degrees below your desired temp and let it rest for 10 minutes (this can be hard to be patient for but it makes a big difference).

Here’s another beauty (a little more towards rare) from a different day to prove I know how to put it into practice:

63764013784__DD72AF50-6F85-44FB-A0F4-02751B86570F.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_6867.jpeg
I went to one of our local supermarkets in NJ the other week Stop & Shop. They had NY Strip Steaks between $3-$5 on sale. I had to ask the butcher that the prices are correct. He said yes they were on sale. I grabbed a two for our dinner that night and a few to freeze for a later date. Ribeyes are my favorite, but I couldn’t pass up the sale prices on these.

View attachment 1183124I went to one of our local supermarkets in NJ the other week Stop & Shop. They had NY Strip Steaks between $3-$5 on sale. I had to ask the butcher that the prices are correct. He said yes they were on sale. I grabbed a two for our dinner that night and a few to freeze for a later date. Ribeyes are my favorite, but I couldn’t pass up the sale prices on these.

At $6/lb, almost worth buying another freezer just to buy the whole lot.

Yes a mistake. He was right next to me placing the steaks out and I couldn't believe how cheap they were so I blurted out these are prices are correct? He told me yes you never see them at these prices.

about a year ago, i was at shaw's and grabbed a pack of filet mignon. i was shocked how cheap they were (i think it was like $8 for 2 good sized filets), and noticed they were tagged as beef ribs or something like that. so i bought every pack they had and froze them. no regrets.

about a year ago, i was at shaw's and grabbed a pack of filet mignon. i was shocked how cheap they were (i think it was like $8 for 2 good sized filets), and noticed they were tagged as beef ribs or something like that. so i bought every pack they had and froze them. no regrets.
Years ago I was having a BBQ at my house with a bunch of my college buddies. My friends were coming from all over and staying over. We were going to play cards after the BBQ. One guy was getting lobsters from Maine. Other guys were bring beer and other items. I said I'll get steaks. I went to Costco and looked at the ribeye steaks. I noticed the price and they were around $7 each. I was like Whoa then noticed they were all labeled some sort of Chicken. I took all 9 packages of the Ribeye packages they had. When I got to the checkout lines. I checked all the lines to see which cashier looked the youngest and looked like they didn't GAF. So I found the cashier which was like a High School/College kid then got in line paid and didn't have an issue. No Regrets either.

I have a lot of mouths to feed! Going out to dinner at even a cheap place like Applebee’s will cost me a $100. So it is much more affordable and better tasting to buy good steak to make at home.

I feel sorry for my future daughter’s BF/husband as she is hooked on filet, all other steak is to chewy for her! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 797032
Greatest-American-Hero.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom