Player Left Without Counting His Money WWYD? (1 Viewer)

In my worst hillbilly voice - 'My daddy always said' 'It don't matter how dumb they look, always cut the cards"

He also taught me to count the money in front of people as a sign of respect. If you don't and you're short later, it could be you dropped a bill and shouldn't assume you were shorted.

Another thing I like to say is 'Please count it, I put an extra one in there' or 'Here you go, I shorted it a 100' - It highlights they should count it or get rekt.

Last edited:
I mean, it's the same thing in a bank. You get a withdraw and they run it through the machine a few times. They sometimes hand count it in front of you. It is YOUR responsibility to count it back to them before you leave to ensure its correct. If you leave through the front door, and count it in your car, and come right back in; too bad, so sad, but the bank is off the hook.

I mean, it's the same thing in a bank. You get a withdraw and they run it through the machine a few times. They sometimes hand count it in front of you. It is YOUR responsibility to count it back to them before you leave to ensure its correct. If you leave through the front door, and count it in your car, and come right back in; too bad, so sad, but the bank is off the hook.

I am wildly embarrassed to admit that this happened to me and you are exactly right, I was SOL.

That's why I always count myself even if they've run my giant gobs of cash ($60) through the machine and hand counted it to me.

Last edited:

Some time ago I went to the teller to get $100 in $5 bills. I watched her count out the money wrong (she counted 20 bills and I only saw 19). I asked her to do it again, and this happened 3 times in a row. Finally another teller found the errant $5 still in the bill counter in the cage. Always pay attention, in a bank or on a table.

Laughed out loud at the mention of stakes, totally right. Was picturing my apes stacking nickels to make quarters, then the quarters to make $1s, then the $1s to make $5s. When I asked who started counting that way they all looked at eachother and couldn't answer who was Patient 0 to this sickness, they all said they saw someone else do it that way.
My god, I hate how my players try to count at the end of the night. Nickels in stacks of 10, quarters in piles of 4 and dollars in stacks of 5. I ask, but no one wants to make stacks of 20.

My god, I hate how my players try to count at the end of the night. Nickels in stacks of 10, quarters in piles of 4 and dollars in stacks of 5. I ask, but no one wants to make stacks of 20.
I intentionally stack it all in stacks of 20 and then count it down, stacks of 10 JFC! have you ever played poker before? It drives me nuts!

Not sure we should derail this thread into the cash vs electronic but this is one of the places that electronic seems like an improvement to me.

I do electronic only. Everyone plays on credit. Keep a detailed ledger and do everything out loud in front of everyone. Electronic allows for very easy tracking of transactions. That has all its obvious detriments but with regard to this type of situation it seems to have just benefits.

That being said, not sure why you brought it up lol because this seems clearly all cash.
LOL. I was going to say the opposite. If it's cash only, you will know if there was a mistake when everyone is cashed out, because there will be money left over.

Doesn't matter electronic or cash, just need to have a good system to account for everything.

LOL. I was going to say the opposite. If it's cash only, you will know if there was a mistake when everyone is cashed out, because there will be money left over.

Doesn't matter electronic or cash, just need to have a good system to account for everything.
That’s very fair. I like being able to track the transactions. There are definite trade offs.

I mostly do electronic because we’re all young and aren’t used to cash and because it becomes a bit hard for microstakes in my experience.

I mostly do electronic because we’re all young and aren’t used to cash and because it becomes a bit hard for microstakes in my experience.
The tricky thing about cash is that you can't just let everyone buy in for $20s and $100s and expect to be able to do cash-outs cleanly.

You need a guy like me who carries around a wad of small bills because I'm just like that.

The tricky thing about cash is that you can't just let everyone buy in for $20s and $100s and expect to be able to do cash-outs cleanly.

You need a guy like me who carries around a wad of small bills because I'm just like that.
I’d actually love to enforce that they follow easily cash denominatable quantities a bit more because I get silly things like $7 or $13 rebuys but with playing on credit + electronic there’s no problem with that and if it keeps em in the game what do I care?

At my game they can rebuy for as little as they want, but only for cash, no credit. I have yet to have a mistake on cash out, and have plenty of small bills to cover any cash out amount. It can be simple, and secure.

To keep it simple, a player (first time here) at my home game bought in 3 times for $500 total. He ended up cashing out for $1900. I always keep track of the buy-ins and I am the only person that handles money and chips. I count out $1900 twice, it ends up being a ton of 20s and only about 4/5 $100 bills. So I ask him to count it again after I give it to him because of how many bills there were. I continue to deal out a hand as all my other players want to continue. About a minute goes by and he says alright thank you, good playing with you guys yada yada and he takes off. About ~30 or so minutes later he calls up one of my players who is still at the table (the guy who referred/vouched for him) and he puts him on speaker saying that he was shorted $500.
I've read zero responses or spoilers.

Question: How is what the guy bought in for relevant?

$500 missing from a $1900 cashout is a huge discrepancy. Setting aside the possibility the new guy is shooting an angle, it seems most likely that maybe he left the large bills behind (or maybe he mistakenly put them in a different pocket of something).

Counting the remaining bank should provide some clues. So I would have everyone count their stacks and compare that to the cash on hand.

If the bank is correct, then it's reasonable to assume he received his money. If something happened in the time after he left that's on him.

Waiting GIF
@JLK8 Yeah man what the fuck dude how did this turn out?

We usually round our chips up with cash. Adding $7 cash to $103 in chips for a $110 payout.

We also round down before cashing out by way of a showdown. If I have $106 in chips I'd toss $6 in the pot for the others to match for a hand of 7 card stud. If I lose I'm cashing in $100

As for a buck or two that can't be covered cleanly most guys just "tip" the host that.

That’s very fair. I like being able to track the transactions. There are definite trade offs.

We sometimes play micro stakes, but nobody cashes out the less than dollar amount, they take the cash and leave the change. I don't even have change available anymore. Nobody cares if they don't get 85 cents.

We usually round our chips up with cash. Adding $7 cash to $103 in chips for a $110 payout.

We also round down before cashing out by way of a showdown. If I have $106 in chips I'd toss $6 in the pot for the others to match for a hand of 7 card stud. If I lose I'm cashing in $100

As for a buck or two that can't be covered cleanly most guys just "tip" the host that.
Yeah we do the same. Play for the scraps or leave it for the host.

Or, as a good host, have a cash box with sufficient smaller bills to make the proper change to cash folks out at the end of the session.

Part of the zen of hosting for me is making sure little things like this are taken care of where they can't become an issue.

I always keep about $40 in small bills on hand.

But I encourage players cashing out to round down to the nearest $5 or $10, and give the leftovers to the dealer or the food fund.

It kills me when someone cashes out for like $1703 and actually wants the $3.

And then there’s the guy who bought in for $400 in 20s but wants his winnings in hundos.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom