Cash Game 3/6 chip Denom (1 Viewer)

ampbm

Waiting List
Reaction score
hi, new to the forum.
I just received 1000 $5 chip set from a friend as a gift, still sealed.
however our games are mostly $3/$6 limit with an occasional $1/$2 NL game.
majority buys ins are $200/$300 pp.
I have reached out to a local store that carries these specific brand of chips, and is
willing to allow me to swap out for other denominations.
what's a good balance of chip denominations? I'd ideally like to stick with 3 denoms total.
how would you all spread out the 1000 chips to allow for flexibility between the 2 games (3/6 limit and 1/2nl)

$3/6 is typically played with all $1 chips. But if your players are used to NL games the betting can be cumbersome when 3 and 4 bets are made. I have played in mixed limit/pot limit games that use $1 & $5 and it works fine.

To make 1k chips work for both without adding on, I’d probably go with 500 $1, 400 $5, 60 $25, 40 $100.

But a true limit set to work well should have a full rack of workhorse chips per player.

Why 3 denoms total? How many players in your limit game? Welcome, you're in an odd spot. Limit games, we usually advise a rack per person but that's a sweet spot where you can include the $5s for big bets, hallelujah! I know you said 3 denoms but with $300 buyins I want $100s just in case. Up to you.

Guess:
400 $1s
400 $5s
180 $25s
20 $100s

400 $1s is probably overkill but with the bets needing $3 per small bet and $1 per large bet I think it'll add up fast in a limit game. That's two barrels per person for a full ring, 13 bets without change.

While I was typing this two others jumped in who have more experience so when in doubt go with them. Here I was thinking 400 $1s was pushing it!

Why 3 denoms total? How many players in your limit game? Welcome, you're in an odd spot. Limit games, we usually advise a rack per person but that's a sweet spot where you can include the $5s for big bets, hallelujah! I know you said 3 denoms but with $300 buyins I want $100s just in case. Up to you.

Guess:
400 $1s
400 $5s
180 $25s
20 $100s

400 $1s is probably overkill but with the bets needing $3 per small bet and $1 per large bet I think it'll add up fast in a limit game. That's two barrels per person for a full ring, 13 bets without change.

While I was typing this two others jumped in who have more experience so when in doubt go with them. Here I was thinking 400 $1s was pushing it!
I just don't like it so cluttered with more than 3 different color chips on the table, guess personal preference lol, usually our limit game is 7-9.

Agreed. Limit sets are usually only 2 denoms, a base chip (workhorse) and value chip and $3/$6 limit is most ideal played with $1 chips.

Ideal Limit Set:
800 x $1 (1 rack per player)
100 x $20

1200 x $1 (1.5 racks per player)
100 x $20

1600 x $1 (2 racks per player)
100 x $20

Ideal $1/$2 NL Set:
200 x $1
400 x $5 (add as many racks of $5s)
80 x $20 or $25
20 x $100

If you’re limited to 1000 chips, maybe go with:
500 x $1
400 x $5
80 x $20
20 x $100

But this would be ideal:
1200 x $1
400 x $5
80 x $20
20 x $100

Or get 2 sets over time (limit set vs NL set)

Agreed. Limit sets are usually only 2 denoms, a base chip (workhorse) and value chip and $3/$6 limit is most ideal played with $1 chips.

Ideal Limit Set:
800 x $1 (1 rack per player)
100 x $20

1200 x $1 (1.5 racks per player)
100 x $20

1600 x $1 (2 racks per player)
100 x $20

Ideal $1/$2 NL Set:
200 x $1
400 x $5 (add as many racks of $5s)
80 x $20 or $25
20 x $100

If you’re limited to 1000 chips, maybe go with:
500 x $1
400 x $5
80 x $20

20 x $100

But this would be ideal:
1200 x $1
400 x $5
80 x $20
20 x $100

Or get 2 sets over time (limit set vs NL set)
I Like the one in red,
however I forgot to mention that the rolls only come in rolls of 25 chips.

I just don't like it so cluttered with more than 3 different color chips on the table, guess personal preference lol, usually our limit game is 7-9.
Fair. I usually agree but 1/3 stakes have a few hundreds hit the table.

Good luck and enjoy!!

I might go this route, but maybe do:
500x $1
450x $5
50x $25
any thoughts on this?
Contrary to the other advice in this thread, I would advise against introducing fives at this stake. Yes, it can work, it can work despite everything I am about to write, but there are just a number of upsides to doing just singles and a value chip, especially if you are trying to construct a 1000 chip set.

So for your 1000 chip set, I would just do 900 * 1 and 100 * 25 (or 20)

I know it's counter-intuitive to realize that changing bigger chips in limit games is more efficient. On the surface, it seems obvious that changing a 25 is more chips than changing a five. But you should be changing 25s far less frequently than 5s.

Ideally changing a 25 for a player should happen about once in a hand and the player receives enough change to operate through the end. Whereas, changing fives, especially early in a hand means figuring out change on every single street.

If the idea is not to change fives at all but just let them be part of bet construction, this still has a couple downsides.
1) Just having multiple denominations in bet construction slows down the verification of amounts.
2) Players will be reconstructing bets with every raise by mixing fives and ones. A player going from 3 to 6 or 9 to 12 will be pulling chips back to add a five

I get these things may seem small, but they do add up when repeated. It's easier to have a single workhorse denomination when you are able to plan a set for this use.

If we are trying to make existing chips work for whatever reason, then I get why one might compromise on this point. But I would certainly not design a limit set this way.

Contrary to the other advice in this thread, I would advise against introducing fives at this stake. Yes, it can work, it can work despite everything I am about to write, but there are just a number of upsides to doing just singles and a value chip, especially if you are trying to construct a 1000 chip set.

So for your 1000 chip set, I would just do 900 * 1 and 100 * 25 (or 20)

I know it's counter-intuitive to realize that changing bigger chips in limit games is more efficient. On the surface, it seems obvious that changing a 25 is more chips than changing a five. But you should be changing 25s far less frequently than 5s.

Ideally changing a 25 for a player should happen about once in a hand and the player receives enough change to operate through the end. Whereas, changing fives, especially early in a hand means figuring out change on every single street.

If the idea is not to change fives at all but just let them be part of bet construction, this still has a couple downsides.
1) Just having multiple denominations in bet construction slows down the verification of amounts.
2) Players will be reconstructing bets with every raise by mixing fives and ones. A player going from 3 to 6 or 9 to 12 will be pulling chips back to add a five

I get these things may seem small, but they do add up when repeated. It's easier to have a single workhorse denomination when you are able to plan a set for this use.

If we are trying to make existing chips work for whatever reason, then I get why one might compromise on this point. But I would certainly not design a limit set this way.
He wants it to work for $1/$2 NL also though.

I agree don’t put the 5s in play for the $3/$6 FL game

He wants it to work for $1/$2 NL also though.

I agree don’t put the 5s in play for the $3/$6 FL game
Oh I see, I misread that, I thought we were designing a limit set from scratch.

It's not ideal, but in this case I would suggest 600/300/100 of 1/5/25.

Each of 10 player can at least have 3 barrels of singles, change making will be more frequent, but we only lose 3 buy ins of $100 for the limit game with a full rack of 25s. But I wouldn't cut the singles any smaller than this.

The downside is a full 1-3 game will feel short on fives (30 per player), but I don't think you want to cut a limit game any tighter than 3 barrels per player if it can be helped.

If @ampbm would be willing to consider a 1200 chip setup I think 700/400/100 would be pretty good in all worlds. With this breakdown you just take out the 400 fives for 3/6 limit night (and have an effective 700*1 and 100*25 set), and you would take out 400-500 singles for 1-3 NL night (having an effective set of 100/400/100 of 1/5/25). But this at least fulfills an average of 2 workhorse barrels per player in NL and 3 workhorse barrels per player in limit. That seems mostly good for both games.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom