Custom theme for Card Mold Ceramics (+ bespoke cloth) (1 Viewer)

Nymor

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm building a table and am looking for a theme for it and some custom chips.

Getting even half decent chips is the UK is not easy and I figure getting a custom set from Tina is only a couple of hundred pounds more than some of the sets I've seen available here so I'm looking to go down this route.

I'm looking at a shared T25/cash set that has 5, 25, 100, 500, 1000, 500 & 25000 (600+ chips) but was stuck for a theme.

7 denominations so I started googling for things that came in 7s. 7 wonders of the world ... that might work nicely for the cloth as well ... but struggling. 7 Deadly Sins ... ahhh maybe. I then found this on DeviantArt - 7 sins and 7 virtues. (OK for personal use but I will try and track down the creator to let him know I'm using it - and send him a sample set maybe).

0QG3ept.jpg

Definite potential - red, green, black, purple, yellow, blue and orange - it's as though it's made for a chip set.

I've altered things so each pair uses the same colours - mostly changing the background of the Virtues to dark to match the Sins but also a couple of other tweaks to get consistancy so both sides look the roughly the same.

WEZiaER.png

5 - Red - Wrath/Patience
25 - Green - Envy/Kindness
100 - Black - Lust/Chastity
500 - Purple - Pride/Humility
1000 - Yellow - Greed/Charity
5000 - Blue - Sloth/Diligence
25000 - Orange - Gluttony/Temperance

A few other image finds to put on my "mood wall" and I have my theme - Saints & Sinners

z2doFI6.jpg

Mdjh21m.png

G7VzTvY.png

Possible table mock up ...

qQ4mvxr.png

Looking at the numbers, text and edging stuff now but could look something like ... v basic fonts and colours for 1st pass - more about what to include rather than how.

EJTc7uj.png

... although it's going to take ages to come up with something that looks more professional. I know I'll probably need to seek help from a poster here that can offer it but I'm hopeful I can do mockups ok. (I use GIMP and have Inkscape)

Only just starting the journey but that's my starter for 10 - thoughts/comments most welcome.

edit 1: or maybe

X040tgY.png

Last edited:
That is Crazy!!!!! What an awesome idea you have done! I would love to have a sample set of these just to put in a showcase for my new man cave room that I am building.. Honestly, these are going to be awesome!!!!

Thanks for that @Dezmond :D

... and as you're the first to comment on either my chips or table ideas I'll ship you a sample set for free when I finally get it all done and delivered :)

Liking it. Does remind me of the Horn design and that may have influenced you but I like them as well so all good! Is the 5 to dark though? And the second 5000 looks slightly off but can't work out why.

Think it might work better for the second 5000 if you get rid of the line down the middle?

Great font for the set name, it and the images remind me of graffiti somewhat, did you try it bigger and stretched around more? If so no good?

I think the small font in the rings naming the sins/virtues will get lost in the process, however I have no experience whatsoever with ceramics and am always amazed with the detail in some of them.

Really like the concept, good work.

Looking awesome! I second the idea of making the font bigger and wrapping a bit more? Maybe we can see how that looks?

Liking it. Does remind me of the Horn design and that may have influenced you but I like them as well so all good! Is the 5 to dark though? And the second 5000 looks slightly off but can't work out why.

I don't see any resemblance to the Horn chips (our local pub) - but if you do then maybe I am being manipulated subconsciously. (Horn is really simple with denom in the middle).

The 5 is a bit dark - I was going to brighten it up with use of the bright red in the edge. Might even do a quartered body mixing the current main colour with the bright red.

Think it might work better for the second 5000 if you get rid of the line down the middle?

Loathed to alter the original artwork more than I have already (switching light to dark) but will think on that.

Great font for the set name, it and the images remind me of graffiti somewhat, did you try it bigger and stretched around more? If so no good?

I think the small font in the rings naming the sins/virtues will get lost in the process, however I have no experience whatsoever with ceramics and am always amazed with the detail in some of them.

Really like the concept, good work.

I don't want the Saints and Sinners part to be too large and have left room for edge spots around the rim. While the ceramics allow a lot of flexibility to not follow traditional designs I do want them to look like chips so am not taking the central part all the way to the edge. I will try that text slightly bigger for a comparison.

The sins/virtue names getting lost is a worry - need to get pro advice on whats possible there. I can make central image slightly smaller and the outer rim a bit wider so the small font can be a tad bigger. I did try a version like that initially but wanted to leave the artwork as is - but will do whatever is necessary at the end of the day. (Our local pub chips also have a tiny font in use so I'll have a closer look at that tonight as we play Mondays).

Looking awesome! I second the idea of making the font bigger and wrapping a bit more? Maybe we can see how that looks?

Thanks. I will try some alternates.

Took ages to home in the general layout and fonts but I think I'm there with that so now to play with some of the details.

I'm currently doing this in GIMP at 1170x1170 (3x390 for ease of scaling in my head - 30px = 1mm) with the intention of then bringing that into Inkscape to output as SVG. I hoping that will be detailed enough for the print to be crisp and avoid having to create this in Inkscape as an original vector image. (I have detailed notes on everything I did if I need to do that - radii of all the paths I snapped the text too, font sizes, widths etc - but hope I can avoid that at the end of the day).

Here's a svg example that I made by importing the 1170x1170 png of the 100 into Inkscape and then saving as svg - looks pretty good I think.

.... and the original large png...

chips_5b.png

I'll mock up the suggestions above - thanks so much for those :D

For reference fonts are:-
Saints & Sinners - Saint Martyr
Sins/Virtues - Sultan
Denoms - Roboto condensed

Last edited:
Glad tonight was of help, super excited for you with this and your table project.

Glad tonight was of help, super excited for you with this and your table project.

I recommend everyone gets a friend who will bring a selection of every type of chip to the pub and who gives their time so willingly to answer all the questions you may have while allowing you to get your hands on them all. What a star! :cool

Each type felt and sounded slightly different and those high end chips are lovely. I was pleased to see the Card Mold chips would be a great choice for those of us on a budget and wanting fully custom.

I've been trying to get my table moved forward in the spare time I've had this week but have had a little play with my chips.

To be sure the sins/virtues can be read I increased the border around the graphic a bit and used a larger font. Because I want keep the chip border clear and the Saints & Sinners text roughly the same size - (going to try different kerning later to see what more spaced out letters look like) - I've dropped the text down into the central border.

Also tried the lighter red as the main colour for the 5 to see whether that may be the correct way to brighten it up than trying to do it with lighter edge spots. I don't mind the bright red version - darker edge spots will cool it down a bit.

Also changed the font of the numbers - previous one was a tabular font and I needed a proportional one.

LxvXPgi.png
TypYyXV.png

or with an extra circle

Cxamtn3.png
FjJyspg.png

Need to get to the edge spots.

edit: looking at those I think the S&S text needs to move out a little bit and the denom font needs to be smaller - just looking a little bottom heavy at the mo. maybe.

Last edited:
Jormungandr isn't typically associated with Envy, he is associated with Green, and poison; I would look for a different 'monster', maybe a green eye'd vixen; A silhouette of a chick, stripper with green eyes

Most are confused by Saint Peter's cross, they think its a reference to the devil. Interesting you picked the pentagram for two of the chips.

I think there will be people that won't want to play with that chip set solely for the sake of religion / post hoc ergo proctor hoc.

I don't understand the 'sloth' image at all.

I think it would roll off the tongue better as 'Sinners and Saints'. I would go more for specific sinners and saints. Saint Peter's cross is a good start. I get the UK is going to have more atheists, so the shock value is less, and ppl don't care as much.

The opposite of Staint Peter could be 30 silver coins image something like:

1663831518192.png

I'd be more keen on the 5 with Fire, and a heart (Desire / love maybe)

Last edited:
Jormungandr isn't typically associated with Envy, he is associated with Green, and poison; I would look for a different 'monster', maybe a green eye'd vixen; A silhouette of a chick, stripper with green eyes

Most are confused by Saint Peter's cross, they think its a reference to the devil. Interesting you picked the pentagram for two of the chips.

I think there will be people that won't want to play with that chip set solely for the sake of religion / post hoc ergo proctor hoc.

I don't understand the 'sloth' image at all.

I think it would roll off the tongue better as 'Sinners and Saints'. I would go more for specific sinners and saints. Saint Peter's cross is a good start. I get the UK is going to have more atheists, so the shock value is less, and ppl don't care as much.

The opposite of Staint Peter could be 30 silver coins image something like:

View attachment 991337

I'd be more keen on the 5 with Fire, and a heart (Desire / love maybe)

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty set on the art as it is - it was not created by me so I'm just taking it as is. (original art at deviant art)

The colours seemed to work out of the box which is why I went down this avenue.

I'm not aware of anyone in my group who is religious so I'm not really concerned by that.

With ref to Sloth - the author notes ...

For this symbol, the brick wall represents labor and the gap represents sloth. The gap is also a reference to Belphegor (whose name means "Lord of the Gap"), and spiritual apathy due to the cross shape of the gap.

and wrt Envy he says

the symbol for envy features the “Eye of Envy”, more commonly known as the “Evil Eye”, as well as the ouroboros. The ouroboros represents the endless cycle of pain that the envious bring to themselves by coveting what others have and loathing themselves for not having it as well. It also is a reference to Leviathan as the demon has been portrayed as a serpent in old Christian art and texts.

I have no idea how accurate any of this is and I haven't thought any deeper than those look good and the colours work

I'm not aware of anyone in my group who is religious so I'm not really concerned by that.
I envy you ;)

Thanks for the info, the Belphegor was interesting, I enjoy learning

Lord of the Gap is very close to God of the Gap, which means something significantly different, same ballpark though.

Which vendor do you plan to order from?

With the help of @mattross1313 - thanks matt :cool - we've made a few tweaks and have this artwork in Tina's hands

39mm Blank Mold

WymDlKU.png

5 x 100
25 x 160
100 x 180
500 x 100
1000 x 160
5000 x 60
25000 x 40

for an 800 chip set

43mm Blank Mold

QNd3RUt.png

45 "Member" chips. I accept I'm going to lose some resolution on these but we're hopeful that it won't be too much blur/loss.

+ 15 sample sets (7 demons + member)

(965 chips total)

Going to be used for tournie and cash. The high denom chips will hardly get used but I'm sure I can structure tournies every now and then to get them in play. Far too many chips for 8max but what the heck :D plenty for lots of chips on the table. MOAR!

With the help of @mattross1313 - thanks matt :cool - we've made a few tweaks and have this artwork in Tina's hands

39mm Blank Mold

WymDlKU.png

5 x 100
25 x 160
100 x 180
500 x 100
1000 x 160
5000 x 60
25000 x 40

for an 800 chip set

43mm Blank Mold

QNd3RUt.png

45 "Member" chips. I accept I'm going to lose some resolution on these but we're hopeful that it won't be too much blur/loss.

(965 chips total)

Going to be used for tournie and cash. The high denom chips will hardly get used but I'm sure I can structure tournies every now and then to get them in play. Far too many chips for 8max but what the heck :D plenty for lots of chips on the table. MOAR!
Looks amazing!!!!!!!! Now the wait begins. I hope I am one of the sample sets :).

I hope I am one of the sample sets :).

I'm true to my word ...

Thanks for that @Dezmond :D

... and as you're the first to comment on either my chips or table ideas I'll ship you a sample set for free when I finally get it all done and delivered :)

You're 1 of 3 (or 4 if I can track down the original DeviantArt-ist) getting them gratis - a dozen sets to then sell at cost - hopefully I should be able to move them on over time.

I'm true to my word ...

You're 1 of 3 (or 4 if I can track down the original DeviantArt-ist) getting them gratis - a dozen sets to then sell at cost - hopefully I should be able to move them on over time.
I’m happy to give something for such an awesome design.

Let me know if it closes down and has a yard sale - although shipping that across the pond would break the bank I suspect.

As a smaller display I'm probably going to print this 3d model and light it in a corner on poker nights

YyA9Uoq.jpg

So that town, Espanola, had a pretty good neon sign salesman in the day. There was about 10 unique signs like that in that town. There was thunderbirds, Indian heads, and this one. This one is almost the only one left, the others been scavenged over the last five years or so.

So that town, Espanola, had a pretty good neon sign salesman in the day. There was about 10 unique signs like that in that town. There was thunderbirds, Indian heads, and this one. This one is almost the only one left, the others been scavenged over the last five years or so.

This is another one that was scavenged in the last year or so

D03F7F29-F6C9-4766-B0AB-E987CEE247CB.jpeg

39mm Blank Mold

WymDlKU.png

5 x 100
25 x 160
100 x 180
500 x 100
1000 x 160
5000 x 60
25000 x 40

for an 800 chip set

43mm Blank Mold

QNd3RUt.png

(965 chips total)

Shipped :p:cool

n6deJb1.jpg

SmQCpKn.png

2Eqn70q.gif

UPS tracking for the last few days has been Hong Kong -> UAE -> Cologne .... where it sits :whistle: :whistling:

(BBC says the cold snap will last the rest of the week)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom