Design questions (software) (1 Viewer)

Machine

Full House
Supporter
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
What would be simple and easy to use software to mock up some designs?

I use the chip tool, but it messes up my image, not to mention I need to add text and resize the image to the text.

I want to make a tribute set for the ESPT chips, either CPC or BRPro. I want to mimic the label but instead of Empress Star, I want to do Emperor's Fist

I did purchase this image as a commission... What do you think about the artwork?

Attachments

• EmpFist_2_25.jpg
    EmpFist_2_25.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 151
Adobe Illustrator seems to be the default program to use for inlay designs. As a free alternate, you can look into Inkscape.

After creating your inlay in one of the above programs, you can then insert that into the chip tool. The chip tool is for chip (clay) design only. There is no ability to design an inlay in the tool. Simply insert and resize.

GIMP is also free, and interface is similar to Inkscape.

But Illustrator puts out the format that manufacturer's need without translation steps, where things can inadvertently go wrong.

I've used Inkscape for all my design works. I've never felt limited by this free,open source and multi-platform software.

most of my images are not vector images, but should resize well, thank you, I will check it out.
by this free,open source and multi-platform software.
This reminds me of Happy Gilmore's Subway commercial.. lol and doesn't sound like a paid endorsement at all! - I get it, I like free beer too! ;)

For image editing (as opposed to vector), another good option is Paint.Net if you're on Windows. It has a smaller learning curve than GIMP or Photoshop, and while it's not as powerful, it can easily meet most people's basic needs. And it's free.

What would be simple and easy to use software to mock up some designs?

I use the chip tool, but it messes up my image, not to mention I need to add text and resize the image to the text.

I want to make a tribute set for the ESPT chips, either CPC or BRPro. I want to mimic the label but instead of Empress Star, I want to do Emperor's Fist

I did purchase this image as a commission... What do you think about the artwork?
Hey, where did you land on the ESPT tribute? Been thinking about the same thing....

I've used Inkscape for all my design works. I've never felt limited by this free,open source and multi-platform software.
Problem is that inkscape does not support cmyk copies for print applications, leaving you guessing about colors...

It's really unfortunate, I'm an inkscape person all the way, but I bit the bullet and learned (more like fought) illustrator for my cash set.

Hey, where did you land on the ESPT tribute? Been thinking about the same thing....
Wow, well tbh I quickly out grew this idea and moved on to a set involving philosophy and as I flushed it out I went with BRPro ceramics, and the community chastised my artwork liking it to Hard Candy, and as your on the waiting list that’s a negative thing, but gives you something to look up. So after placing a 2000+ order I then moved onto my second ceramic set as a tribute to TRK scrowns, which was flamed for unoriginality because I made ceramics with inserts. But I quickly learned that none of the schmucks we’re spending my money or had my enjoyment. Then I spent more time with the resources and chip DB and media posts.

Then I read about these crazy scrub donkeys spending $20 per chip and that nothing was as good as CPC or Paulsons except maybe some old-school TRKs.

So I started on building my first CPC set because I hate paper money and or saving for my kids education.

Then I found out that I’m special by way of taste when it comes to inserts and color selection. I was made fun of due to my love of split spots.

Today I’m waiting for my second CPC set and hope for some acceptance after like 3 years as I just gave up and ripped off someone else’s label.

tldr - it’s a journey, I gave up on trying to do mocks and found others to help me with the technical stuff. A lot of the designers have a great rate, I would suggest looking around more and taking your time.

This is all in jest ;) and if you want to see my journey check out Icarus link in my signature (landscape on mobile)

Inkscape is best for Vector imaging.

Gimp is good for a knock-off Photoshop.

This is all in jest ;) and if you want to see my journey check out Icarus link in my signature (landscape on mobile)

Haha, given how much everyone hated your work, I think I will probably like it. I don't see the link, but would love to see what you came up with after all.

I use a Photoshop alternative called Pixelmator Pro. Used to be free, now low-cost.

Pixelmator doesn’t have every single feature of Photoshop, but it’s quite robust. Anyway 90% of Photoshop users never touch many of its features.

Haha, given how much everyone hated your work, I think I will probably like it. I don't see the link, but would love to see what you came up with after all.
Spin your phone sideways (landscape) and check at the bottom of any of my posts

Also find the Glossary and look up Scrub donkeys

If you're on a Mac, Affinity Designer is a much cheaper alternative to Illustrator, and has many of the same features.
100% this. The new version is Affinity Designer made it much easier to arc and skew typography and vector art.

I’m using AD for t-shirt and logo design. It’s pretty damn rad.

If you can wait for their software sale, you can generally pick it up for $50 or less per app.

Edit: Gonna add that Affinity Designer also works on Windows PC computers.

Edit 2.0: Affinity Photo for photo editing. Been using this for photography over the past 6 years.

Affinity Publisher as a solid page layout app (in place of InDesign). I use this for designing Resumes and my yearly fantasy football rules document.

Last edited:
The new version is Affinity Designer made it much easier to arc and skew typography and vector art.
I'm not saying don't go affinity, I did, but I will also say most vendors work with .ai files

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom