I was today years old when I… (5 Viewers)

I find that many idioms are often misused. I think it stems from a basic misunderstanding of the meaning of individual words. This post is already getting long, so without further adieu, let me give you the first case and point: Beckon call. While using this may not immediately wreck havoc in other's ability to understand you, it will definitely make you look dumb.

Another favorite of mine is a blessing in the skies. I always assumed this was rooted in a deep-seeded misunderstanding of where blessings actually come from. The misuse of this idiom is one I'd definitely like to see fall by the waste side. I'd love to come up with more misused idioms, but I'm starting to experience hunger pains, so I've got to leave you all to carry on while I find something to eat.

4ADCE490-A716-4CD8-8836-CDD147CB9F10.jpeg
87595C68-7292-41C3-BC20-1617AD97CB31.jpeg

Nip it in the bud? Gtfo lol!

Other good ones I’ve been around for…

My friend didn’t know New England was a collection of states. I think he thought it was a city or State?

I thought it was labtop, not laptop for awhile lol.

My one fiend thought the Atlantic Ocean was fresh water and pacific was salt, and we found out when he started to ask out loud what happens when the water merges, and we quesfioned wtf did he mean? Then he slowly realized how dumb he was LOL.

There are no words for “yes” and “no” in Irish.

This will make a lot of sense to anyone with Irish grandparents (like I had) who would answer yes/no questions with anything but yes/no.

Did you put the kettle on?

I did put it on.

Did you buy a cake?

I did not.

Did you spend all the money on poker chips?

I’ll be taking the 5th there.

The 5th? Do you think you’re in America?

I do indeed.

Repeatedly pushing the power button on a galaxy phone initiates emergency mode and calls 9-1-1 and messages your emergency contacts.

Went out to lunch today and it's starting to rain. Ran to the car with the phone in my hand when it started going ballistic, alarms...bells...etc. who knew? Guess I didn't.

I was today years old when I learned Tommy Tutone had a Top 40 hit (or even another song) besides 867-5309.

Was #38 in 1980 on the countdown I am listening to, and their chart debut.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom