I'll never be happy, thanks. (2 Viewers)

desselBANE

Pair
Reaction score
After a game with an old dice set a couple months back, I decided I wanted better chips. I got online and ordered up some Monte Carlos for a tournament set. Before they arrived I was doin research on how to run a proper tournament and joined PCF. That's where I went wrong lol.

The chips came in and I've played some tournaments with them. Everyone loves the chips and compliments them because they've only played with the Walmart sets themselves. But me, I'm not happy. (I still enjoy them and I'm glad I got em). But now I've ordered a 43mm Tina cash set from the group buy that I'm very excited for!

But I'm still not happy. I have an idea in my head for a custom set I think would be awesome if I can find someone to help me design them. That will be down the road a little ways though. Maybe after that I'll be happy.

Does it ever end?

After a game with an old dice set a couple months back, I decided I wanted better chips. I got online and ordered up some Monte Carlos for a tournament set. Before they arrived I was doin research on how to run a proper tournament and joined PCF. That's where I went wrong lol.

The chips came in and I've played some tournaments with them. Everyone loves the chips and compliments them because they've only played with the Walmart sets themselves. But me, I'm not happy. (I still enjoy them and I'm glad I got em). But now I've ordered a 43mm Tina cash set from the group buy that I'm very excited for!

But I'm still not happy. I have an idea in my head for a custom set I think would be awesome if I can find someone to help me design them. That will be down the road a little ways though. Maybe after that I'll be happy.

Does it ever end?
Just be ready when you pull out your ultimate pride and joys and everybody says "I like the heavier ones better." :rolleyes:

Just be ready when you pull out your ultimate pride and joys and everybody says "I like the heavier ones better." :rolleyes:
I can see that happening with some of my players. The weight is something they like a lot haha.

Not a shame if they compare two Paulson sets…

I decided I wanted better chips. I got online and ordered up some Monte Carlos for a tournament set. Before they arrived I was doin research on how to run a proper tournament and joined PCF. That's where I went wrong lol.

The chips came in and I've played some tournaments with them. Everyone loves the chips and compliments them because they've only played with the Walmart sets themselves.

Assuming you're going to be a steady winner, sure.

What's worse, having less money because you are collecting or because you are losing? At least one way you've got something to show for it.
This is true. I have no problem collecting, but the more I collect the more I wanna play will will probably loose

That's not true.

I'm happy on the day new chips arrive. Then, within minutes, I rediscover the chasm in my soul that can only be filled with EVEN MOAR NEW CHIPS!
Sad Les Miserables GIF

I totally feel this. I've got my cash and tournament chip set that are China clays; Pharaoh replicas for cash, Majestic for tournaments. I love them just fine, everyone compliments them. However I've had a stack of CPC chips for some time now that I keep on my desk to shuffle and fidget with.

For some reason I decided to set a stack of my China clays next to the CPC's, you know, to hear the differences for science...

The CPC's have such a crisp clack to them where as the China clays are just kind of a dull thud. Now I want a custom quality set so bad I can taste it but alas, it's just not in the cards at this time.

I totally feel this. I've got my cash and tournament chip set that are China clays; Pharaoh replicas for cash, Majestic for tournaments. I love them just fine, everyone compliments them. However I've had a stack of CPC chips for some time now that I keep on my desk to shuffle and fidget with.

For some reason I decided to set a stack of my China clays next to the CPC's, you know, to hear the differences for science...

The CPC's have such a crisp clack to them where as the China clays are just kind of a dull thud. Now I want a custom quality set so bad I can taste it but alas, it's just not in the cards at this time.
Give up...give up now and accept your fate and start saving. The FEEL is just too much to ignore.

There’s a large contingent here who embrace the collecting, the continued amassing of sets. And that’s fine - if you make smart purchases, there’s no reason you should ever lose much money.
Does it ever end?
That’s up to you. Here’s what I’ve found - I’ve usually focused on buying chips that I think are the best - some people call them grails, but that’s a personal evaluation - there’s no consensus best in this hobby. But when I have a set that I think is the best I can get, that makes me happy to own and play, it keeps me from buying other inferior sets. Why bother with that stuff.

Do the hobby however you want. But if you’re seriously asking if you have to keep buying and buying and buying to stay happy, that’s up to you.

There’s a large contingent here who embrace the collecting, the continued amassing of sets. And that’s fine - if you make smart purchases, there’s no reason you should ever lose much money.

That’s up to you. Here’s what I’ve found - I’ve usually focused on buying chips that I think are the best - some people call them grails, but that’s a personal evaluation - there’s no consensus best in this hobby. But when I have a set that I think is the best I can get, that makes me happy to own and play, it keeps me from buying other inferior sets. Why bother with that stuff.

Do the hobby however you want. But if you’re seriously asking if you have to keep buying and buying and buying to stay happy, that’s up to you.
Definitely not serious. I'm glad I found this forum and and new hobby. I'm like this with most of my hobbies. It's fun because even people who love poker and play more than myself don't realize it's a hobby. But I get to collect awesome shit and share with people who appreciate it, even if they don't fully understand it.

They are an in-between. Clay has a 'grippiness' a ceramic will never have. I have shuffle stacks on my desk and the new Web mold & Greek mold are great... buy they are not clay.
I'll keep waiting it out. I don't want to get a side grade and be unsatisfied. Problem is I need at least 1200 chips for my cash game. Big oof.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom